City insistent over Barca talks - SSN

Kenney_The_Blue

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes insists that any meeting with Barcelona was merely to build relations.

Executive chairman Garry Cook is understood to have met with Barca president Joan Laporta in a bid to build relations between the two clubs.

Reports have since claimed that City were looking to broker a deal for Barca star Samuel Eto'o.

City have already denied making any such offer and now Hughes has insisted that they are talking with a number of 'big' clubs as they look to be taken seriously by the elite.

"There has been speculation about players all year," Hughes told Key103.

"It is something that we accept and has become predictable.

"The meeting was not about individuals but how both clubs can help each other.

"As a club, we are trying to get relationships with clubs who would not previously have passed the time of day with us.

"Now, because of Sheikh Mansour [City owner], they want to have a relationship and talk about plans that would benefit both clubs.

"We are aiming to have this kind of relationship with all top clubs in Europe."

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5251131,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 31,00.html</a>

What do you think to that?

talking with all the top clubs about how we can slip one up the rags rusty bucket from such a close vandage point.

Fergiescum has pissed off all the major clubs in Europe at one time or another. It would be quite refreshing for us to go about it in a completely different manner.

Kenney_The_Blue said:
Manchester City boss Mark Hughes insists that any meeting with Barcelona was merely to build relations.

Executive chairman Garry Cook is understood to have met with Barca president Joan Laporta in a bid to build relations between the two clubs.

Reports have since claimed that City were looking to broker a deal for Barca star Samuel Eto'o.

City have already denied making any such offer and now Hughes has insisted that they are talking with a number of 'big' clubs as they look to be taken seriously by the elite.

"There has been speculation about players all year," Hughes told Key103.

"It is something that we accept and has become predictable.

"The meeting was not about individuals but how both clubs can help each other.

"As a club, we are trying to get relationships with clubs who would not previously have passed the time of day with us.

"Now, because of Sheikh Mansour [City owner], they want to have a relationship and talk about plans that would benefit both clubs.

"We are aiming to have this kind of relationship with all top clubs in Europe."

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5251131,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 31,00.html</a>

What do you think to that?

We have played a freindly against them. :)

I may have to retract my earlier statement as I am now being told that it may just be as MH has said, which does seem strange but, then, ADUG clearly have G14 ambitions and are not exactly best mates with some of the other members [like that 'Small Town in Turin'].

Building bridges, opening chanels of communication, forging links with the clubs so that in the event the clubs want to do a deal the dealings can be kept out the media, no bad press, no angry fans ensuring both clubs can negotiate in peace. That is my take of it. If however clubs don't want to cooperate with each other could end up with large bids being made and players getting unsettled in my opinion for what it is worth I think it is a good idea.

Good News I would have thought.

Friendly discussions with Laporta shows that we are being taken seriously by the biggest clubs. Less room for surprises when we start negotiations.

Strange that he was over in London on Monday when they are playing in Barca tonight, then coming back to London next week.

Taken on face value it would seem to be a good idea. We may well be buying players from these clubs in the future and if we have established links with the top clubs around Europe then this can only help. It should help avoid situations such as the Kaka one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.