City launch legal action against the Premier League | City win APT case (pg901)

I think it's fair to say neither side 'won' the case completely but what we have done is prove that the Premier League is not infallible and therefore it's authority is undermined. That said, I do have a very little bit of sympathy for the Premier League's position. They are trying to treat football as a sport when, certainly in England, it's become apparent that football is about money and therefore businesses. There seems to be so many financial loopholes (what was to stop an owner loaning a club 20 billion at 0% interest and the club putting the money in a bank account and earning 5% interest, 1 billion, every year!). Bottom line for me is that the Premier League is out of it's depth and seems to be in the pocket of the red shirted businesses (as is much of the media). It's not City that needs changing it's the Premier League.

FWIW, I think Ian Cheeseman, PB and City Rabin should have free season cards for life for their roles in rebutting the media storm around CAS.

Stefan provided great information but it would t do him any favours on Talkshite if we gave him a free season card lol

I'd take it off his hands. The card, not the talksport gig. He can keep that.

I’ve just checked the author, Christian Smith, out on LinkedIn.

His only practical experience in the UK was as an associate for three years for a sports law firm called Solesbury Gay Limited, that ceased operating whilst he was there and whose licence to practise was revoked the month afterwards, following which he appears to have decided to engage in a career in journalism. It’s not clear why their licence was revoked, but at best I would suggest it was because they were unable to generate enough work to meet their regulatory obligations, at worst because of matters of professional misconduct. If they been moved on as a going concern then I wouldn’t expect to see a revocation, especially so promptly. SRA link here:

He didn’t attain his legal qualifications in the UK (New Zealand) and whilst that of itself isn’t a bar to having a successful legal career in this country, it’s certainly a worthwhile factor to consider when taken in conjunction with someone’s career achievements.

So, based on the foregoing I would say he has insufficient real and practical experience on the subject matter to hold a legal opinion that should be given any meaningful weight. The extent of his practical legal experience was as an associate for a firm that failed, following which he decided to switch careers.

That will have entailed a huge reduction in his potential earnings. Not holding that against anyone, but it is perfectly reasonable to take that into account when evaluating what weight to attach to an article where he offers his opinion on a finding of law and its implications. It’s perfectly reasonable to conclude that if his opinions and analysis were worthwhile then he’d still be in practice. And he’s not.

So his assessment may not be biased, but personally speaking, in the context of being invited to give it any weight, I don’t think it’s worth a wank.
TLDR - Christian is a silly ****.

I’m sure Stefan doesn’t need anyone to defend him but people also need to appreciate that he’s plainly a cautious individual, which I expect is a characteristic that has served him well professionally over the yearsI think some people are expecting him to be something he’s not, which is a ridiculous expectation quite frankly.

He’s simply playing his natural game and shouldn’t be criticised for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.