City launch legal action against the Premier League | City win APT case (pg901)

I was of a similar mindset yesterday, and wasn't convinced by Stefan's conclusions.

But having looked at the judgment again, I'm less certain it's as big a win as City are suggesting. Firstly, Stefan is taking the judgment at face value because the reasoning for City's court action is unknown. We can speculate and I think the timing gives a clear indication of what we were trying to achieve, but ultimately his position is to look at what we challenged and what we were successful on and I think in doing so a score draw is a fair assessment.

I'm still willing to make the assumption that it was the change in drafting following Newcastle's takeover and the impact that had on our potential sponsorships that City took issue with. I don't think it's a wild jump to make that connection, considering the timings.

So we've successfully argued that the PL's decision on our sponsorships was unlawful. A big win on the face of it. But there's no certainty those sponsorships are re-instated. It ultimately comes down to the PL providing us with comparable transaction data and their databook to justify why those sponsorships were not deemed to meet FMV and for us to have the ability to challenge their benchmarking. But that doesn't necessarily mean we'll be successful in securing those sponsorships and then pursuing damages.

As for the APT rules themselves, they have to now cover shareholder loans and they also need to re-draft the rules around FMV to ensure that clubs can comment on the PL's comparable transaction data before a decision on FMV is made.

The PL might have an issue with securing a majority vote on amended rules, particularly around shareholder loans, but I'm not sure it's a significant loss for them on the amendments needed around assessing FMV. There's no doubt in my mind the PL has a cartel of clubs controlling it, but when it comes to assessing FMV the board (cross-examined in this case) were largely found to have a robust approach to making that assessment. The critical part to any success City have on this is whether the comparable transactions a) are comparable and; b) do justify rejecting our proposed sponsorships. Clearly the club do not believe that evidence will justify the decision. But we'll have to wait and see. Any "win" on this really comes down to whether or not those sponsorships are allowed in light of the evidence, and with our ability to make comment on the database.

Again it's clear the club feel that the failure to share critical evidence or allow City to comment or challenge it is more evidence of a conspiracy within the PL.
Quite a black and white way of looking at it. It has become public that the premier league had tried to act unlawfully, bringing in rules to hamper certain sides. Prior to the case it was just speculation, we now have had it made official. In terms of the findings and which way they ruled, it is probably irrelevant. The Prem have been shown to be incompetent and bringing in rules that don't comply with UK law. It batters their credibility. Score draw my japs eye

Thanks Vic but it says….

“that the APT Rules are unlawful on account of being in breach of sections 2 and 18 of the Competition Act 1998 because they exclude from their scope shareholder loans and for no other reason;”

That says to me that if the shareholder loans area is corrected then it becomes lawful as they state that is the only reason?
I'm having a go at answering the question, "Why do City say the Rules are void?"

Because that's what the law says. If the Rules are unlawful (for whatever reason) they are prohibited rules and any agreement, or decision of an association, including the prohibited Rules is thus void. [Competition Act 1988, s.2(4)]

I am now only a 100 pages behind - more seem to get added faster than I can read.

I have spotted a trend emerging though - that more and more people are getting on @slbsn case.

Fucking hell there is no winning for the fella;-)

By time I get up to 1300 I am fully expecting discussions about Stefan as if it was a matchday thread - perhaps a few - FFS Stefan posts thrown in

I think there a only a few but they have been vocal.

It's halfcenturyup, not up halfcentury :D

And that was 17 years ago. Jesus, where does the time go. Having 12 year old twin girls may explain some of it .... What was I thinking?
Never mind, just start saving up for the marriages and ensure they have a "double" wedding to keep the costs down. ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.