City launch legal action against the Premier League | City win APT case (pg901)

Arsenal can have emirates as a sponsor.
FA can have emirates as a sponsor.
But city cannot have etihad as a sponsor.
Seems like discrimination for city owners being from
UAE.
It’s worse. We can have Etihad provided the PL sets the amount. Our contract with Etihad is effectively set aside when we try to renew it. Bonkers.
Reading between the lines, the PL has damaged us by invoking this rule and reducing the value of a contract or more than one, but they are not reducing the values at other clubs (guess US owned).

A separate case? I had just assumed a tribunal in two parts: principle then damages. You may be right :)

Two parts is still separate and dependent on the first, but sure. That's my reading of it, could of course be wrong.

No, the articles all seem fairly consistent. There was a change this year with the 'associated party' bit being the changed thing. That's what is being challenged. And was done within weeks of it being voted on. It hasn't been implemented yet, it is supposed to come in from next seaon, and that's what the club are trying to stop. If they win, nothing changes. If they lose, a proposed change voted through will go ahead.

I am fairly confident in saying that btw.

Posting at the same time, so I replied before reading this. Will go away and check as that's not been my understanding so far. I feel like the amendment has just led to us pressing the trigger, but could well be wrong.

No, the articles all seem fairly consistent. There was a change this year with the 'associated party' bit being the changed thing. That's what is being challenged. And was done within weeks of it being voted on. It hasn't been implemented yet, it is supposed to come in from next seaon, and that's what the club are trying to stop. If they win, nothing changes. If they lose, a proposed change voted through will go ahead.

I am fairly confident in saying that btw.
Think they were Rules proposed in 21 finally passed in Feb this year

Bottom line on this case? Disguising owner investment as sponsorship by a related company doesn't sound a particularly good thing, but does the case really go to the anti-competitive rules against owner investment that make related party sponsorship a way round those unfair rules?

It should be fairly easy to show that the rules were designed to restrict new entrants to a cartel, and not about financial sustainability when prospective owners could buy clubs with money they hadn't got and load the club with debt while personally taking money out of revenue after servicing the debt (and with some overvalued sponsorship - e.g. Chevrolet).
The rags Chevrolet deal was the biggest pisstake ever, so bad the guy who gave the go ahead WAS SACKED !!

Sorry, I'm struggling to see how they relate to the February 2024 amendment? All the reports link it to the FMV and related person rules introduced after Newcastle's takeover in 2021. We abstained from voting on the temporary ban on sponsorship and then subsequent introduction of those rules citing that they were unlawful - so clearly had sought legal advice at that point. Subsequently we will have been building our case based on those rules and with further changes that have been proposed and/or introduced subsequently have finally decided enough is enough and brought action.

The reports all link it to the Associated Party change. Some try to link it to the 2021 rules, but then some try link it to the 115 case too, as a delay tactic, resource drain, deal offer etc.

Maybe it can indeed extend back to 2021, who knows. We have only heard one side of this. But I think it is pretty clear it was a reaction to the feb24 change, either way.

Someone tell me that this isn't anti competitive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240605_111150_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240605_111150_Samsung Internet.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 118

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.