City launch legal action against the Premier League | Unconfirmed reports that City have secured "potentially significant victory" (p 808)

It's fair until it's not. Suppose for example there is a system in place that goes something like this

1) Clubs can raise money through sponsorship of their stadiums, shirts, noodles etc
2) Where a club owner has a related interest in the organisation sponsoring the club this must be noted in the accounts
3) when a sponsorship is from a related party a FMV test is applied and the value maybe amended in a subset of the accounts

Then we get into murky water
4) if the sponsoring organisation is not a related party it may be an associated party. An association can be very broad but let's limit it to one based on geography. If the club owner and the sponsoring organisation all originate from the same country they are associated.
5) in the case of an associated party transaction the deals are subject to further scrutiny and may be prohibited or capped (I think)
6) oh by the way just because you're American and the sponsoring organisation is American it doesn't necessarily mean it's an associated transaction
7) oh you're from a gulf state? Oh definitely associated then
8) therefore out of the 20 teams in the league 2 teams are subject to greater sponsorship scrutiny and caps than the other 18.
9) Etihad could sponsor United for £5billion a year but only be allowed to sponsor City for £50million based on country of origin
10) also we have to send details of our sponsors and 2 failed sponsors to the premier league who are also sponsored by potentially competing organisations in the same industry. The premier league also seems to have difficulty keeping things confidential.

It's fair until the majority uses their power against the minority

Excellently explained, thank you.

PS you could get a job as a football pundit!!

Oh wait a minute, .....you know are obviously over qualified :-)

This is exactly how I feel as well. I have been a City fan for the best part of 60 years and all this “noise” is ruining my enjoyment of the game. I just want to watch my team play football. I am also struggling to understand why APT rules are a bad thing. I don’t really want to see a league where the team with the deepest pockets wins all the prizes.
That is exactly what you were watching for the first 40 years of your City supporting life.
Why is it now wrong ?
Could it be that the teams who were at the top for the first years of your footballing life are no longer top dog's.

This is exactly how I feel as well. I have been a City fan for the best part of 60 years and all this “noise” is ruining my enjoyment of the game. I just want to watch my team play football. I am also struggling to understand why APT rules are a bad thing. I don’t really want to see a league where the team with the deepest pockets wins all the prizes.

What do you think you’ve been watching your entire life?

Real Madrid
Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Juventus
Manchester United
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal
PSG

You don’t think these teams were the richest in their leagues?

As I’ve said before, if City win the rules go back to what they were January 2024 - that’s this year! City are challenging an amendment made in February. They’re not destroying the league or all the financial rules.

Last edited:
There are many in here bemoaning the lack of noise from our PR department.
Just remember-Silence is Golden.
The war will not be won in the Media,it will be won in the Tribunals,courts or wherever the judicial preside and make judgement.
I cannot see us going in without strong evidence. Lessons learned through history and UEFA.

Which makes me believe the leak is from the PL and given it to Lawton on condition he does a hatchet job on City.
Unless the PL shared all City’s documents with all PL clubs in a bid to get their support it can only have originally come from the PL. Totally corrupt and it helps City moving forward.

I have read those rules. Apart from appalling drafting which makes them very hard to understand, they appear to catch sponsorships on flimsy ground such as sponsor based in same country as owners, ie “We know they are friends of yours, so it’s associated.” The rags marine engine sponsors need challenging on this basis.
Have you got a quote etc anywhere

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.