City launch legal action against the Premier League

Related party sponsorship is only an issue because of unique rules brought in to stop City which prevent owners investing in their own companies to protect a small cartel of clubs.

When owners can spend their own money on their own company it stops being an issue.

None of City’s deals are related party deals - that’s why the PL invented the concept of Associated Party rules - they are literally working full time to stop us inventing rules with us solely in mind.

So basically City want our Sponsors ie Etihad etc to be able to pay as much as they want but the Premier League want it regulated so the sponsorship will be market value and not inflated ?
If so I can't see how City will win the case ?

Yes. If Jamie Carragher did summations!

Fyi, sponsorship is already regulated, and City have had no problem with this since it was implemented. The Etihad deals have also passed the fair market value test, and are not deemed inflated.

The challenge is to the February addition, where parties deemed associated, have to do an additional level of justification, show competing lower bids, and the PL have the right to adjust the value of the deal. After, it has already passed the fair market test btw. That is what is being challenged.

There are a few issues there. One it doesn't apply to all deals, so there is an implied 'targeting', two who determines what is associated, three who determines the ultimate 'fair' value and how, and four it fucks the sponsors over by revealing their competative bidding process.

I see why City are challenging it, I also see the logic for the challenge to be successful, to a large extent.

No the difference is, related parties, the media know they have lost because every time they mention City suing they talk about related parties, which was the vote in 2023.The vote in February was all income related or not. Which may bring the PL into dispute with UEFA being more draconian it would harm all English teams, if it were applied evenly.
Related party already exists

Yes. If Jamie Carragher did summations!

Fyi, sponsorship is already regulated, and City have had no problem with this since it was implemented. The Etihad deals have also passed the fair market value test, and are not deemed inflated.

The challenge is to the February addition, where parties deemed associated, have to do an additional level of justification, show competing lower bids, and the PL have the right to adjust the value of the deal. After, it has already passed the fair market test btw. That is what is being challenged.

There are a few issues there. One it doesn't apply to all deals, so there is an implied 'targeting', two who determines what is associated, three who determines the ultimate 'fair' value and how, and four it fucks the sponsors over by revealing their competative bidding process.

I see why City are challenging it, I also see the logic for the challenge to be successful, to a large extent.
Good summary. How do they decide which deals it applies to?

What a load of shit this is. Who decides what is good value and who decides what is inflated?

More proof we need the independent regulator.
I don’t see how this is different to related party or APT that’s already in place

Good summary. How do they decide which deals it applies to?
A panel of experts will be formed. Ex players such as Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Lee Dixon and sports journalists such as Simon Stone and Ian Herbert. This panel, experts all in valuing the worth to a company of sponsoring a football club, will make binding decisions for the good of the game.

I don’t see how this is different to related party or APT that’s already in place

The IR won't be involved in making the rules, I suspect, but they will expect the PL to show that new rules are for the benefit of the game as a whole and not detrimental to the game's future. Placing unnecessary and onerous requirements on investment and income, for example.

What Masters should be doing, actually. But he is a useless ****.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.