City playing away at Maine Road

Gary James

After seeing the thread about City playing games at Old Trafford against teams other than Utd, I thought I'd post this about City playing away games at Maine Road.

I'm not certain I've got a full list, but from top of my head there's been the Utd-City derbies of the 40s & the Newcastle FA cup tie of jan 1975 (played at Maine Rd because the FA punished NUFC for crowd problems, but still officially a NUFC home game - I show a match ticket in "Manchester The City Years" showing NUFC V City as the game not City V NUFC).

The 1956 Charity Shield should also count as the game was scheduled for the ground of the champs but It had to be played during the season and the only possible dates were midweek and OT didn't have floodlights, so it came to Maine Rd instead.

I'm sure there are others. Anyone know of any more?

Gary James said:
After seeing the thread about City playing games at Old Trafford against teams other than Utd, I thought I'd post this about City playing away games at Maine Road.

I'm not certain I've got a full list, but from top of my head there's been the Utd-City derbies of the 40s & the Newcastle FA cup tie of jan 1975 (played at Maine Rd because the FA punished NUFC for crowd problems, but still officially a NUFC home game - I show a match ticket in "Manchester The City Years" showing NUFC V City as the game not City V NUFC).

The 1956 Charity Shield should also count as the game was scheduled for the ground of the champs but It had to be played during the season and the only possible dates were midweek and OT didn't have floodlights, so it came to Maine Rd instead.

I'm sure there are others. Anyone know of any more?

I know it's not what you are asking, and I think we've done it before, but I remember City leaving the field after five minutes play against Spurs in the late 80s and returning wearing our away kit.

I remember the Newcastle game. It might just as well been a home game for them as they turned up en mass. There were thousands of them and most of them we paralytic as i recall. If i'm not mistaken, they won 2-0 as well

i recall something like that in the fa cup and bury vs man city was played at OT

I went to Northwich v Oldham played at Maine Road..that was a strange mixture of City, Northwich and Oldham fans..about 28000 turned up I think.

What about City playing at home at an away ground....Streymour at oakwell

I can't think of any specific game, but it's always puzzled me why City played in red and black stripes at home to Wigan in the FA Cup in 1971.
Also why did we play in red and black stripes for both legs against Chelsea in the ECWC in 71?

As per my user name my first ever game was the previous saturday against the same opponents
On that occasion City played in sky blue and Chelsea played in yellow shirts and royal blue shorts.

BillyMC said:
I went to Northwich v Oldham played at Maine Road..that was a strange mixture of City, Northwich and Oldham fans..about 28000 turned up I think.

went to this game, forgotten all about it. When was it played? I'd guess mid 70s??

City 1 Chelsea 1 1971 said:
I can't think of any specific game, but it's always puzzled me why City played in red and black stripes at home to Wigan in the FA Cup in 1971.
Also why did we play in red and black stripes for both legs against Chelsea in the ECWC in 71?

As per my user name my first ever game was the previous saturday against the same opponents
On that occasion City played in sky blue and Chelsea played in yellow shirts and royal blue shorts.

IIRC from my days as a referee (I did some qualifying rounds of the FA Cup) if there was a colour clash in a FA Cup game both teams had to change colours. I emphasise it's IIRC.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.