City Square = Rubbish

SWP's back said:
el blue said:
City Square is rubbish. Absolutely soulless and between this and the sanitised Disney approach to the family stands I fear for the future of the fan base.
I don't but I fear for your marbles

What's it got to do with "marbles"? He makes a valid point.

There is something very sanitised about premier league football these days and City have come to the forefront with that.

I had a drink in City Square the other day and it was fine, if a little small.

But as some cheeseball marched around with a mike accosting fans and players on the big screen, and the facepainters did their stuff, I felt a pang of lament for the working class soul of football.

Football has sold it's soul to the armchair fan, TV and to the middle classes. I hope they stick around as long as the working classes did when the bad times come.

Didsbury Dave said:
SWP's back said:
I don't but I fear for your marbles

There is something very sanitised about premier league football these days and City have come to the forefront with that.

But as some cheeseball marched around with a mike accosting fans and players on the big screen, and the facepainters did their stuff, I felt a pang of lament for the working class soul of football.

Football has sold it's soul to the armchair fan, TV and to the middle classes. I hope they stick around as long as the working classes did when the bad times come.

More corporate consumerism than class system. I don't buy into this working class football bollocks, there were plenty of hey-ho's twirling their rattles back in the day. Football clubs want to make money from everything associated with the club nowadays, not just the matchday earnings (Swales's business model).

pierod said:
Didsbury Dave said:

More corporate consumerism than class system. I don't buy into this working class football bollocks, there were plenty of hey-ho's twirling their rattles back in the day. Football clubs want to make money from everything associated with the club nowadays, not just the matchday earnings (Swales's business model).

I agree with you that it is football which has become a money making monster. But it is alienating the working class fans which made the game the national sport.

It signed it's Faustian pact with devil the day the Premier LEague was formed.

There's no going back, and there are lots of upsides. But there are downsides too.

The corporates may well be the saving grace of City. We can take the piss but, at the end of the day, they subsidise the cost of us in the peasant seats. This will become even truer in future as corporate prices will inevitably grow at a rate well well above ours.

Skashion said:
The corporates may well be the saving grace of City. We can take the piss but, at the end of the day, they subsidise the cost of us in the peasant seats. This will become even truer in future as corporate prices will inevitably grow at a rate well well above ours.

They are not subsidising us... they are subsidising the players wages.

I don't get this submissive view that fans have that we just have to put up with our lot, that we have to pay the price no matter what they ask.

Well bollocks to that, say I!

If the powers-that-be somehow sorted out the absolutely ludicrous wages of the players, then the price of admission could tumble.

I still believe that in the not too distant future there will be a wage cap in the Premiership, as the "new owners" decide to form an oligopoly, and share out the profits so much better than is the case now.

The German and American business models will come more to the fore, particularly when the TV deals come up for negotiation.

But I take the point that the gentrification of football may be inevitable, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the good old days when football was a working class pursuit... and by that I don't mean I want a return to the days of hooliganism.

If people are bothered by seeing kids getting their faces painted and actually enjoying the matchday experience, heres an idea, dont go to the kids part of City Square, and dont sit in the family stand.

But then some people seem intent on slagging everything the club does to nurture young supporters who are our future support. Has it ever occurred that some kids like this kind of thing ????

I dont bring a kid to the game, I dont go to City square, and I have never witnessed a kid getting his face painted in 25 years watching city , but I dont feel the need to dispair about the future by slagging the club for trying different things to attract families.

If this kind of thing upsets you, go to another pub and watch the game from any stand except the family stand.

Its not rocket science !

Soulboy said:
Skashion said:

They are not subsidising us... they are subsidising the players wages.

I don't get this submissive view that fans have that we just have to put up with our lot, that we have to pay the price no matter what they ask.

Well bollocks to that, say I!

If the powers-that-be somehow sorted out the absolutely ludicrous wages of the players, then the price of admission could tumble.

I still believe that in the not too distant future there will be a wage cap in the Premiership, as the "new owners" decide to form an oligopoly, and share out the profits so much better than is the case now.

The German and American business models will come more to the fore, particularly when the TV deals come up for negotiation.

But I take the point that the gentrification of football may be inevitable, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the good old days when football was a working class pursuit... and by that I don't mean I want a return to the days of hooliganism.

I'd welcome regulation of players' wages including a total wage cap, several wage caps actually, an absolute one (Europe-wide), one as a fixed percentage of the revenue the league generates, and one as a fixed percentage of what the club generates. I don't think it'll be possible though due to the EU, and I'd doubt you'd see sufficient support from UEFA even if they could. Corporates then, in my view, are City's chance of meeting the Financial Fair Play requirements, paying the wages the market demands plus a premium because City aren't a big draw for players just yet, whilst trying to keep prices down for the peasants. I really wish it wasn't so, but the powers-that-be have made it so.

time for 20 or30 strippers at half time when all the family stand have gone for jelly and icecream!!!!!

i tell you what,we got all this money,a fantastic team,great foundations set for the future,exciting times ahead and a great manager who is going to get some silverware for us.......but hang on,i must complain about the city square because there`s nothing else i could complain about...wind it in bacon....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.