City to expand Etihad to 62,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is pretty clear by the South stand extension that the stadium is very low on the list of priorities. Its has not even been given a lick of paint to cover the plasterboard or the stand fully weatherproofed.

I think we still need to grow the fanbase to justify a 62k stadium and then accept the inevitable consequence the atmosphere will become even worse.
I sit in the North Stand and I can’t see empty seats around me. My mate in the East Stand tells me there are blocks of empty seasoncard seats around him which probably get used not much more than 50 per cent of the time. He says there’s a group of seasoncard holders (all Mancs) working in London and don’t do midweek games. I was in that situation for 3 years - 97 - 2000. I could only make weekend games having been banished to the South coast. Returned to the North West and became a full time fan again in 2000.

Last edited:
Another factor. West Ham get 55/56,000, but it looks like they’re missing loads of fans. Why ? Their ground is an athletics stadium with big gaps between the seats for comfort. Same at our place - decent amount of legroom. At Anfield the seating is more compact - less legroom and if ten seats don’t get filled you barely notice it. Last time I looked, we were getting an over 98 per cent attendance to capacity ratio which is pretty good by any measure - especially considering the segregation and luxury we provide for away fans in that South Stand block. Liverpool might edge the attendance to capacity ratio on us, but only just.

Last edited:
Where ? because at the start of the season the only place there are 10 seats on sale together for matchday tickets is about the back 10-15 rows of level 3 East stand and CB. Anywhere else it is a struggle to find more than 2 or 3 seats together available. Think there are also a couple of areas in the family stand that get left for group bookings etc.
And lower tier East Stand. It stands out a mile.

Another factor. West Ham get 55/56,000, but it looks like they’re missing loads of fans. Why ? Their ground is an atheltics stadium with big gaps between the seats for comfort. Same at our place - decent amount of legroom. At Anfield the seating is more compact - less legroom and if ten seats don’t get filled you barely notice it. Last time I looked, we were getting an over 98 per cent attendance to capacity ratio which is pretty good by any measure - especially considering the segregation and luxury we provide for away fans in that North Stand block. Liverpool might edge the attendance to capacity ratio on us, but only just.

A very good point. The modern stadiums have much more legroom and space between seats so empty seats do stand out. Anfeeld and the swamp are so crowded together you do not see the empty seats. However if it was my business I would not have empty seats in the first level of the East stand, a marketing mistake if ever there was one. I would employ a hundred stuffed dummies if need be.

Don't see the problem with expanding to 62k. Even if some games we don' get full houses so what ? Who cares ? If tickets were cheaper it would be full every week but it seems the club don't want that. Remember when Maine Rd held 52000 and we barely ever filled it ? Best average attendance was 77/78 around 42k .Can' believe the obsession with attendances. We are one of the top supported clubs in Europe !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.