City V Barcelona

steveb15 said:
Tricky_Trev said:
Barca would win at least 8 of them. We are good, but they are one of the best teams ever to have graced Earth.

Arsenal pushed them hard last year, beat them at the Emirates.
And would've have gone through had Bendter finished his chance despite being down to 10 men. And the classico could've been different had Ronaldo finished those 2 chances he had. Worst thing you can do is to put an opponent on a pedestal.

alky313 said:
We would draw 4 times and lose the other 6. Barca began to pick apart the strongest RM side in years. They have no equal. Unless we can buy Xavi and Iniesta.

Of a starting 11 of City/Barca

Valdes
Alves
Pique
Kompany
Abidal
Busquets
Xavi
Iniesta
Silva
Fabregas
Messi
Puyol is better than Piqué and Kompany.. Still a fantastic(!) player. He's probably the best right back in the world when he fills in there too for halves of games here and there too, haha. What a player!

MCFC4EVR said:
steveb15 said:
Tricky_Trev said:
Barca would win at least 8 of them. We are good, but they are one of the best teams ever to have graced Earth.

Arsenal pushed them hard last year, beat them at the Emirates.
And would've have gone through had Bendter finished his chance despite being down to 10 men. And the classico could've been different had Ronaldo finished those 2 chances he had. Worst thing you can do is to put an opponent on a pedestal.
And some second division nobodies would have denied us a chance at our first trophy in 35 years had they not let Dzeko sneak an equalizer, or had they scored their 2 chances earlier.

See, we can do this all day for any team. Woulda, coulda, shoulda are quite easy to do. Every team has them. But the best teams are still the best teams!

Barca in the last 3 years IS the best team to have ever played football, PERIOD! Over a ten game series, it is is only a guess what will happen.

Football unlike, hockey, Basketball or baseball in the States, is at best a 2legged game. The idea of best of 5, 7, or 9 is wholly foreign to the sport. And if it were adopted, will switch the basis of the game. In American basketball, there is an idea of the "Playoff team" or Post season team. i.e. teams that you know are likely to do well once playoffs time comes. Coz the game is different when you have to play the same folks 7-10 times in a row. You can take the first 2 to figure them out, beat them in the third, have them adjust to your adjustment, see their adjustment fail, and then readjust to that failure e.t.c. By that point, it becomes a chess game. With coaches actually mattering more prominently.

But back to the topic: If this was a simple guess based on how they have both performed over the last couple of years, the recent history of both clubs, the chemistry of the players, and the talents at each's disposal- It is not unthinkable or irrational to think Barca should definitely win 7-8, with CIty at best winning 1-3.

This team would be frightening

------------Hart------------------
Alves--Pique--Kompany--Clichy
-------------YaYa-------------
--------Xavi----Iniesta
---Silva----Messi-----Aguerro

When Silva eventually leaves us ( hopefully not for years yet) then Barcelona will be his new home imo

Thing is they are similar to us, the only team similar to their style of play in the world is us so why couldn't we win at least half? The only thing that makes Barca really special is Messi, he's a gamewinner and sets them apart from the rest. If we could stifle Messi and control midfield we'd take them apart, a lot of teams try to contain them and it doesn't work.

You can't show them any respect or they'll keep the ball and pick you off when you come out to them. Playing with the discipline of a saint there is no reason we couldn't at least score against them, their defence isn't exactly the best.. It's how many they might score that's the problem.

I hope we get them next year because i don't believe they are that good, they just have no equal and we will be the closest thing to it, Real are coming round to playing the Mourinho way and to be honest he hasn't got it right yet and he often employs tactics against Barca which revolve around everything but putting the ball in the net.

Silva for me on his day is easily better than Iniesta, he is a more mobile version and Yaya on his day is on par with Xavi. Like i said their trump card is Messi, he is the only game changing player we just don't have and unfortunately never will, he's a player in his own league.

Don't think we are close to them at the moment. Although I think the first 20 mins at Chelsea was the best I have ever seen a city team play. If we could maintain that for 90 mi s we may have a chance against Barca.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.