City v Everton... Man 4 Man.

we have a lot more depth in our squad, and although the aim is european football every year i think this year with us not playing any form of it we can have a lot better season than them playing more games and less depth. But i just want a strong consistant season to build on.......and a STRONG f.a cup run!

I'm an Everton fan - I've been reading your forum on odds occasions for a while now - always interesting to read other fans point of view.

I don't think many Everton fans (or neutrals) would disagree - clearly, man for man, City have better players. I'd make this point though: Spurs have, for years now, been man for man better than Everton too. But football matches aren't played as 11 seperate matchups, they are played between teams.

A few people have pointed out that Everton are well drilled and organised. But there's a slightly more subtle point that I think most people (including journalists; actually especially journalists) miss: Everton are a very well balanced team. More than just working hard and being organised, the players strengths actually complement eachother. For example, Arteta is one of the best crossers in the league. By itself, that would be quite useful in any team, including City's. But we have Cahill and Fellaini playing centre mid and getting into the box at every chance. You might say you'd prefer Ireland to Cahill and you'd prefer Barry to Arteta. Individually, you might be right or you might be wrong, but an Arteta/Cahill partnership is among the most useful in the league in terms of effectiveness.

These are little things, but Everton have them all over the field. Baines and Bridge are both really good attacking fullbacks, but Pienaar is willing to track back 50 yards to fill in for Baines when he's out of position. Arteta, Baines and Osman are great crossers of the ball, and we have Saha, Fellaini, Cahill in the box. Fellaini requires defenders to stay very close to him because of his size and strength - and then we have Cahill whose main strength is arriving in the box unnoticed when defenders are otherwise occupied. Jagielka's blood and guts style complements Lescott's more measured approach. Only Neville is an actual ball winner in midfield, but the entire midfield getss in an organised formation to slow teams down. Tony Hibbert is...erm....well....hang on....ok, he's ugly and terrible at football, so he makes Phil Neville feel better about himself.

Similarly, you say Adebayor is a better player than Yakubu. This might be true (actually I'm not a huge fan of Adebayor, but if you had Tevez vs Yakubu I would have certainly said Tevez is a better player). Yakubu is not a great all round player. But as a pure goalscorer, Yakubu is better, and the statistics show it. Yakubu has a very marginally better goals per game ratio in England (about 1 in 2.5 games) than Adebayor, but he did that playing for Pompey, Borough and Everton. Adebayor scored about as often, but played for the most attack minded team in the country over the last 5 years. Tevez played for the best team in the country (sorry, but they did win the league!), and scored about 1 every 3.5 games - roughly the same that Cahill scores playing in midfield for a cautious team. If you are going to (correctly) point out that Everton's midfield isn't the most creative, you have to then give the strikers more credit for still scoring the goals.

Again, I'm not saying Yakubu is a better all round player, but he's better in the role of out and out goalscorer - which is the role he is asked to play at Everton. City have bought a lot of support strikers, hoping that getting goals from lots of places will make up for not having that one major threat.

I'm just not sure City have the same linkups as Everton yet. Sure, you've got everything you need in the SQUAD, but I'm yet to see a first choice XI that seems balanced. In the OP's 11, for instance, you have Adebayor up front, who is great in the air - yet there are no genuine wingers in the team. I'm sure you'll say that Tevez/Robinho/Ireland will supply them, but that isn't what they do. It's better to have a very good player doing what he does best (e.g. Arteta crossing) than a world class player being played slightly out of position (i.e. Tevez crossing). Otherwise you are just picking big names for the sake of it. I've seen other suggested 11s which basically include 4 defenders, De Jong, and 5 forwards.

This has been Everton's strength for years: having 11 players who each excel in some small role (even if they aren't great all round players), and letting them do that role; and then making sure that everybody complements eachother. The likes of Spurs have always had better players (man for man), but their team has always been really unbalanced, and there's no point having 11 better players if you can't play them in the same team.

Which is why I don't think you'll break the top 4 until 2010/2011. I do still think we'll finish above you this year (don't forget our injury decimated squad finished 5th last year - we aren't actually that bad a team), but you'll be much improved and you'll put the finishing touches on it next summer.

dontshootme said:
I'm an Everton fan - I've been reading your forum on odds occasions for a while now - always interesting to read other fans point of view.

I don't think many Everton fans (or neutrals) would disagree - clearly, man for man, City have better players. I'd make this point though: Spurs have, for years now, been man for man better than Everton too. But football matches aren't played as 11 seperate matchups, they are played between teams.

A few people have pointed out that Everton are well drilled and organised. But there's a slightly more subtle point that I think most people (including journalists; actually especially journalists) miss: Everton are a very well balanced team. More than just working hard and being organised, the players strengths actually complement eachother. For example, Arteta is one of the best crossers in the league. By itself, that would be quite useful in any team, including City's. But we have Cahill and Fellaini playing centre mid and getting into the box at every chance. You might say you'd prefer Ireland to Cahill and you'd prefer Barry to Arteta. Individually, you might be right or you might be wrong, but an Arteta/Cahill partnership is among the most useful in the league in terms of effectiveness.

These are little things, but Everton have them all over the field. Baines and Bridge are both really good attacking fullbacks, but Pienaar is willing to track back 50 yards to fill in for Baines when he's out of position. Arteta, Baines and Osman are great crossers of the ball, and we have Saha, Fellaini, Cahill in the box. Fellaini requires defenders to stay very close to him because of his size and strength - and then we have Cahill whose main strength is arriving in the box unnoticed when defenders are otherwise occupied. Jagielka's blood and guts style complements Lescott's more measured approach. Only Neville is an actual ball winner in midfield, but the entire midfield getss in an organised formation to slow teams down. Tony Hibbert is...erm....well....hang on....ok, he's ugly and terrible at football, so he makes Phil Neville feel better about himself.

Similarly, you say Adebayor is a better player than Yakubu. This might be true (actually I'm not a huge fan of Adebayor, but if you had Tevez vs Yakubu I would have certainly said Tevez is a better player). Yakubu is not a great all round player. But as a pure goalscorer, Yakubu is better, and the statistics show it. Yakubu has a very marginally better goals per game ratio in England (about 1 in 2.5 games) than Adebayor, but he did that playing for Pompey, Borough and Everton. Adebayor scored about as often, but played for the most attack minded team in the country over the last 5 years. Tevez played for the best team in the country (sorry, but they did win the league!), and scored about 1 every 3.5 games - roughly the same that Cahill scores playing in midfield for a cautious team. If you are going to (correctly) point out that Everton's midfield isn't the most creative, you have to then give the strikers more credit for still scoring the goals.

Again, I'm not saying Yakubu is a better all round player, but he's better in the role of out and out goalscorer - which is the role he is asked to play at Everton. City have bought a lot of support strikers, hoping that getting goals from lots of places will make up for not having that one major threat.

I'm just not sure City have the same linkups as Everton yet. Sure, you've got everything you need in the SQUAD, but I'm yet to see a first choice XI that seems balanced. In the OP's 11, for instance, you have Adebayor up front, who is great in the air - yet there are no genuine wingers in the team. I'm sure you'll say that Tevez/Robinho/Ireland will supply them, but that isn't what they do. It's better to have a very good player doing what he does best (e.g. Arteta crossing) than a world class player being played slightly out of position (i.e. Tevez crossing). Otherwise you are just picking big names for the sake of it. I've seen other suggested 11s which basically include 4 defenders, De Jong, and 5 forwards.

This has been Everton's strength for years: having 11 players who each excel in some small role (even if they aren't great all round players), and letting them do that role; and then making sure that everybody complements eachother. The likes of Spurs have always had better players (man for man), but their team has always been really unbalanced, and there's no point having 11 better players if you can't play them in the same team.

Which is why I don't think you'll break the top 4 until 2010/2011. I do still think we'll finish above you this year (don't forget our injury decimated squad finished 5th last year - we aren't actually that bad a team), but you'll be much improved and you'll put the finishing touches on it next summer.

Excellent post to be honest. But i do disagree with a few points. Firstly, Adebayor. You say he is not an out and out goalscorer yet when you break it down, over his 3 years at Arsenal his Minutes on the pitch per goal average was 169.5 Minutes per goal. That betters a goal every 2 games. I understand he is in one of the most creative teams in europe. But hardly full of wingers with huge crossing ability are they now. They do however have a certain Mr. Fabregas who is excellent so we will see.

I have always hated playing Everton, mainly because of like you have mentioned. The team work, the way your players compliment each other. But who's to say that our players won't build some sort of understanding in a similar sence too. Kompany who is a fantastic defender spent years at Hamburg with De Jong our Defensive midfielder. They get on well and know how each other play. Kompany is also a no nonsence defender and Toure or Lescott along side him would be ideal as they are much more composed. Fair enough, Robinho won't track back as much as pienarr [Sp] but now we have Barry, he will definatly give Bridge much more support than he had last year. Bridge faced alot of 2 on 1's last year from teasm attacking down the right, Barry will help prevent this. Allowing De Jong to help Zabeletta/Richards out more when they get forward from the right too.That to me looks like a fairly solid basis to work from, with Given ofcourse at the back that looks like it could just click, perhaps? :)

dontshootme said:

good post, keep em coming.

We've got a better first eleven and more depth than they have now. I agree with the majority that Everton know how to play for each other and get results and the past table positions tell that story and they've rightly finished above us. But Hughes has been able to get his teams playing as teams and that's with less at his disposal than what he has now and I'm optimistc he'll do it with us too.

Blue Coop said:
Excellent post to be honest. But i do disagree with a few points. Firstly, Adebayor. You say he is not an out and out goalscorer yet when you break it down, over his 3 years at Arsenal his Minutes on the pitch per goal average was 169.5 Minutes per goal. That betters a goal every 2 games. I understand he is in one of the most creative teams in europe. But hardly full of wingers with huge crossing ability are they now. They do however have a certain Mr. Fabregas who is excellent so we will see.

Maybe I'm underestimating him, but he's just never struck me as a top class goalscorer and the stats seemed to back that up. Where did you get your stats from? I'd be interested to see how that compared to other players. Yakubu, for instance, gets hauled off after 70 minutes a lot due to his fitness levels, so it would be interesting to see how they compared.

Blue Coop said:
Fair enough, Robinho won't track back as much as pienarr [Sp] but now we have Barry, he will definatly give Bridge much more support than he had last year. Bridge faced alot of 2 on 1's last year from teasm attacking down the right, Barry will help prevent this. Allowing De Jong to help Zabeletta/Richards out more when they get forward from the right too.That to me looks like a fairly solid basis to work from, with Given ofcourse at the back that looks like it could just click, perhaps? :)

Maybe, but to me it looks like putting too much defensive work on a couple of players. I'm a huge believer that defence isn't an individual skill, it's a team skill. Barry isn't the quickest, but if he does get over to support the LB then who covers the middle? Everton, as you know, try to defend as a flat 5 in midfield, so Pienaar tracks back while Neville/Cahill/Arteta cover the middle. I'm not saying that Everton's way is the only way - quite the opposite in fact - and I know that you'll have more attacking threat than us, but you'll have two men less than us in midfield when defending. I think asking 3 men to cover the whole width of the field is hard, and requires a lot of discipline - do you really want Ireland to spend most of his time holding back? It also makes it real hard when the full backs overlap and get caught up the field.

I think a lot of people devalue the defensive side of the game - there's a general attitude of "yeah, just pick the best attacking players, and get a good manager who can make them track back, because anybody can do the defensive work if they can be bothered". Maybe pick a holding midfielder, who'll be able to stop every attack virtually single handedly. Two attacking full backs (that's how we judge full backs these days, it doesn't matter if they can't defend - isn't Gareth Bale just fantastic?). I know you aren't doing it to that extent (it's just a pet peeve of mine of the modern fan/media), but I still think you are assuming that Barry and Ireland are capable of this formation based too much on their attacking ability.

Maybe it will work, it's all hypothetical until we see what team City start putting out. But playing (essentially) a 3 man midfield and asking Barry and Ireland to do all the defensive work really seems like a shakey foundation to me. It's really hard for them to get involved high up the pitch, which is bad for Barry but a disaster for Ireland. If Ireland is going to have to be so deep, is it worth him being in the team? Are there enough goals elsewhere in the team to leave him out? It's thing like these that (to me) that give me doubts about City competing with the top 4 this season. Personally I think that City will end up starting 2 out of Robinho/Tevez/Adebayor (no doubt after a period of trying to play all three), with the other coming off the bench.

"Maybe it will work, it's all hypothetical until we see what team City start putting out. But playing (essentially) a 3 man midfield and asking Barry and Ireland to do all the defensive work really seems like a shakey foundation to me. It's really hard for them to get involved high up the pitch, which is bad for Barry but a disaster for Ireland. If Ireland is going to have to be so deep, is it worth him being in the team? Are there enough goals elsewhere in the team to leave him out? It's thing like these that (to me) that give me doubts about City competing with the top 4 this season. Personally I think that City will end up starting 2 out of Robinho/Tevez/Adebayor (no doubt after a period of trying to play all three), with the other coming off the bench."

De Jong or Kompany would be the Defensive midfield player, Ireland and Barry would be box-to-box midfielders.

that will still allow Robbeh, Tevez and Ade up front

City have the better individual players anyone can see that, but Everton are a team where the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts. Everton are a side who have been playing together for years and have formed a strong bond will break there backs to cover team mates mistakes and clearly know their own jobs and how to cover each others weaknesses. With the additions we have made this summer all being premiership proven the only problem we should have this season is gelling together and hopefully by the difficult winter months we should have done just that. It's sad to lose him, but the departure of players like Elano who cause divisions in the side will do a great deal towards bring the team together as a unit.

But Everton's players reguarly peform at a high level and give 110% every game.

Last season, for example, our players were very very inconsistant and only a small selection of players gave 110% in every game.

We may have the better 'players' but Everton, at this point in time without seeing our new team play, have a better team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.