City v PSG - The Unofficial Champions League Race

jrb

I wonder what Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the Emir of Qatar and owner of PSG, and Nasser Al-Khelaïfi, the CEO of PSG and member of the UEFA Executive Committee (arf!), thought when City won the CL. (unlucky lads)

They have invested billions in PSG including signing Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, Di Maria, etc, hoping to win the CL trophy.

There was never an official race between City and PSG to be the first club to win the CL trophy, but I suspect both owners and both CEO’s wanted to win it first. As we all know politics, rivalry, prestige and pride are very important across the Middle East.

Last edited:
Think you can see now they want to ship out all the big players on high wages and go for the Team ethic or Qatar are ready to jump ship and buy a premier club

They haven't invested. They've spent big on superstars. They're mid 2010s Man United in a less competitive league.

Outside of Erling Haaland, Yaya Toure and Sergio Aguero, is there anyone we've signed in the last 14 years that you could say is inarguably a world superstar? (I might be missing someone) They become stars with us.

The investment secures French support in their ongoing struggles with Saudi Arabia, and far cheaper than being ripped off for fighter planes etc to protect their borders.

I actually thought PSG genuinely had a chance of winning CL this previous year. Hiring Galtier was fantastic business, a fantastic french title-winning coach. It seems they messed up hiring superstars with massive egos rather than young (french) talent . You can't put Mbappe, Neymar and Messi and maybe Ramos all in a team when it's pretty clear that they all want to be the sole star player. PSG are a bunch of individuals, rather than a collective. PSG need to learn from us massively.

Not sure about the signing of Asensio and Ugarte. Kang-In Lee looks really good, but to me I really don't understand what they're trying to do ito. transfer strategy, especially when you have a guy like Luis Campos at the helm. Galtier needs to stay though.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrb
I actually thought PSG genuinely had a chance of winning CL next year. Hiring Galtier was fantastic business, a fantastic french title-winning coach. It seems they messed up hiring superstars with massive egos rather than french talent. You can't put Mbappe, Neymar and Messi and maybe Ramos all in a team when it's pretty clear that they all want to be the sole star player. PSG are a bunch of individuals, rather than a collective. PSG need to learn from us massively.

Not sure about the signing of Asensio and Ugarte. Kang-In Lee looks really good, but to me I really don't understand what they're trying to do ito. transfer strategy, especially when you have a guy like Luis Campos at the helm, but I'd stick with Galtier.

Forgot about Neymar, the biggest ego of the lot.

They haven't invested. They've spent big on superstars. They're mid 2010s Man United in a less competitive league.

Outside of Erling Haaland, Yaya Toure and Sergio Aguero, is there anyone we've signed in the last 14 years that you could say is inarguably a world superstar? (I might be missing someone) They become stars with us.

Haaland is the only one who was a superstar before joining. As great as the other two were, outside of our fan base I would argue they were never global superstars at any point. Not in the way Haaland and Mbappe are now, or Ronaldo and Messi were/are.

Haaland is the only global superstar we've had as a player, in the sense kids all over the world idolise him. I love Aguero but there wasn't millions kids all over every continent wanting to be him.

I doubt the owners are as "Into it" as we are, wouldn't surprise me if both owners genuinely treated their wards as just investments.

I wouldn't say yaya and aguero were superstars before joining us. Tbh, other than the English players, I've probably not heard of any other the players we've ever signed, other than haaland.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.