City v Southampton pre match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't necessarily say they are ultra defensive.

This is a team that is 5th for most passes completed so they definitely play football.

I can’t see us dropping points vs Southampton. Confidence is high. Early goals will help, but despite being upbeat the way we started and play, I’m not yet ready to take early goals for granted. Not even a win tbh. But if we do, scoring soon, it might turn out another impressive score.
I expect pretty much the same team, maybe Gundogan and Jesus get a start. 3p and lets keep frustration the other top teams.

Ederson

Walker
Kompany
Otamendi
Delph

Gundogan
Toure
Foden

Sterling
Jesus
Sané

Won’t be the team, but with 3 in 7 days, and having just gone through a hard 90 of work, it’s what I would play. KDB, Silva and Aguero on bench if needed. Play them on Sat, and then rest up the first team for the week leading up to the derby. In fact, tell Pep to stay home and work with the first team and let Arteta coach the lads in Donetsk! However, Pep would never disrespect Sarri that much!

I think the cracks are showing with us. I love VK but he is slow and sometimes lacks accuracy when moving the ball foward against parked bus defenses. John Stones is a huge miss for the derby. Our last few victories have shown our resilliance but players are begining to show fatigue. Silva, KDB and Sane all need some time out ( and better protection from Refs) we are 1 injury away from a crisis in defence going into a busy run of essential games. It would be easy to take our eye off the ball with Southampton.

The defence didn’t do too much on Sunday, so they should all be pretty fresh. However, the midfield movement is so constant that those lads put in a serious shift with and without the ball. I know some people thought Silva was brilliant but I thought his passing was bang average at best, with poor weighting and location in multiple attacking situations. KDB is doing the running, but appears too knackered to make the ball do the work he was having it do a month ago.

Too bad we can’t five them both a rest at the same time....oh wait, we can...and should! Bench them for the start on Weds and they are available if needed. Give Foden a start and see how he settles into a big game. Bernardo is available at HT if he’s not doing it, or Silva or KDB. Might give Danilo a run out, as Walker made a few decent sprints upfield, but not sure he’s needed.

I think Saints game will be harder than West Ham. Therefore West Ham is the game to rest midfield.

Let’s see if Watford can help us out on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.