City v Stoke Post Match Thread

Not often you have over 70 per cent possession and lose but it summed up our lack of speed and quick enough movement of the ball that allowed them to go two on one far too often for us to create enough openings.

Woeful defending for their goal but other than that they never really threatened on the break.

Early season cobwebs but we will obviously have to lift our game in the next three matches to be on the right side of the ledger.

Disappointing of course and we should have been able to settle for a 0-0 result all things considered but its time to move on already.

We were 6-1-4 after eleven games last year and hopefully we will be ahead of that after eleven games this season but having to play Arsenal , Chelsea and Spurs in our next 6 games it won't be the end of the world if we match that.

You would think we could deal with 10 men behind the ball by now. How many times have we been forced to play against a defensive back 4 with 4 in front of them. No fucking thought to our attacks whatsoever. It does'nt seem we have'nt learnt how to break down a solid defence. You can probe all you want but that is'nt going to get you a goal. Our play today seemed so slow we was never going to cause them problems. Really pissed off with our performance today, just hope it's a blip.

Stoke were absolutely brilliant today and I've got no complaints. They defended as a team and attacked as a team and played as if they were high on crack from minute one to minute 94.

They came with a game plan and executed it perfectly so credit where credit’s due to Hughes. The bloke I was sat next to kept making mindless comments like 'Oh come on City, its Stoke FFS’ as if we had a god given right for them to just bend over whilst we stiffed them up the crease which just sounded Raggish to me. At one point I asked him what he'd do differently if he were Pellegrini but all he could keep saying was its Stoke FFS. During one of our attacks I counted 9 Stoke players in their area and when they broke from our attack I counted 6 of their players in or around our area. This wasn't a team who just turned up to fulfill the fixture, they came for a result and got it make no mistake about that.

What was strange for me was for the first time this season we looked fit and ready to start the season proper, but we ran into a Stoke team possessed. I spoke to a Rag earlier who was expecting me to make excuses like he was about Burnley saying Stoke only came to defend. I told him straight, Stoke looked us in the eye and took us on and thoroughly deserved their win and I don't think we had an off day either. When we raised the tempo, they matched us and although we were generally better in possession, when they had the ball it was evident that the days of Pulis's Stoke had been consigned to history because Stoke attacked us in an controlled fashion and with pace as if they knew what they were doing.

There wasn't one of our players who played that didn't deserve to be on the pitch and which ever team won today would have deserved it imo. Perhap Hart could have done better for the goal and Kolorov got left dead for pace wben trying to catch Diouf, but Diouf has been tearing it up in Germany recently with a 1 in 2 goal average and is no slouch either. IIRC Ferndinho had already been booked and was the last man, so he couldn't touch Diouf or we'd have been down to 10 men.

The only thing I would have done differently today is I'd have probably brought on Navas earlier because the middle was so congested we needed the ability to change tactics in game. We were also too slow on the break. Time after time I noticed that we seemed to lack the blistering pace to get beyond them on the break and we kept holding up our own play waiting for players to join in which gave Stoke the opportunity to get back into position.

On the left they kept doubling up on Kolorov to ensure he rarely got near the by-line so he had to keep slinging in crosses from long range which was never gonna help with those column like defenders Stoke had. Perhaps an out and out left winger would have been advantageous to us today, who knows, all I say is we played well and were beaten fair and square. We just need to wipe our mouths and move on to the next match and start preparing for other teams using this Stoke template to combat us with.

There was some sloppy passing from us. Quite a few times it went from our defence, straight to their attackers in a dangerous position, and there were more than a few overhit forward passes. Stoke defended brilliantly, but I think if we had played to our potential, we still would've scored. We looked much better when Dzeko came on. You need a player like him against Stoke really. I was impressed with Sagna. Did well in one-on-one situations most of the time. But the defence as a whole looked like they'd never met each other at times. Shame about Fernando, because he's been our best player so far this season.

The reason we lost was due to the employment of our full-backs, both stationed ineffectually out wide, isolated and patrolling ten yards of touchline each.

A more-than-winnable home fixture v Stoke was the right time to bed in Sagna and we'll see much better from him but the fact is if Zaba had started we'd have the three points. Sagna is used to over-lapping and flying forward from deep - against a condensed rearguard Arsenal and City use their full-backs very differently and being plonked out wide to provide width he was next to useless. Not once did he look to link up with Silva, Nasri, Yaya and drive IN from the touchline with a give-and-go. That's Zaba's forte and provides us with bountiful opportunities. Its our tin opener.

Ive been really impressed with Kolorov until today but that was a woeful display where he barely looked interested. Like Sagna he resolutely hugged the line which made it easy for Stoke to contain him. Essentially Kolorov contained himself out there, content to whip in the occasional delivery from wide that was bread and butter to Shawcross and co.

Look at the difference Navas made when he come on, driving into the box and breaking up Stoke's well-drilled banks. Is this because we suddenly had a winger providing width? No. Sagna and Kolorov were basically 'wingers' all game. Except in their case they were simply used to stretch the play and Stoke didnt let that happen, allowing them to stay out there unmarked and ineffectual, while they concentrated on condensing the centre.

what worries me is part of the reason Chelsea fell short last season , was their inability to take points against teams who parked the bus ,with them ending without a point on a few occasions after throwing the proverbial kitchen sink I fear they have rectified this with some excellent signings, who can provide a plan b or c Of course everybody wants to beat the Champions and think our defence of the title will rest on our ability to grab the three points and run in games typically like yesterday I know it is early doors and I am not a flapper but the next two games we go into needing at least 4 points Yup yesterday did us no favours at all ps also mega pissed off cos I got a shit stream

Dribble said:
Stoke were absolutely brilliant today and I've got no complaints. They defended as a team and attacked as a team and played as if they were high on crack from minute one to minute 94.

They came with a game plan and executed it perfectly so credit where credit’s due to Hughes. The bloke I was sat next to kept making mindless comments like 'Oh come on City, its Stoke FFS’ as if we had a god given right for them to just bend over whilst we stiffed them up the crease which just sounded Raggish to me. At one point I asked him what he'd do differently if he were Pellegrini but all he could keep saying was its Stoke FFS. During one of our attacks I counted 9 Stoke players in their area and when they broke from our attack I counted 6 of their players in or around our area. This wasn't a team who just turned up to fulfill the fixture, they came for a result and got it make no mistake about that.

What was strange for me was for the first time this season we looked fit and ready to start the season proper, but we ran into a Stoke team possessed. I spoke to a Rag earlier who was expecting me to make excuses like he was about Burnley saying Stoke only came to defend. I told him straight, Stoke looked us in the eye and took us on and thoroughly deserved their win and I don't think we had an off day either. When we raised the tempo, they matched us and although we were generally better in possession, when they had the ball it was evident that the days of Pulis's Stoke had been consigned to history because Stoke attacked us in an controlled fashion and with pace as if they knew what they were doing.

There wasn't one of our players who played that didn't deserve to be on the pitch and which ever team won today would have deserved it imo. Perhap Hart could have done better for the goal and Kolorov got left dead for pace wben trying to catch Diouf, but Diouf has been tearing it up in Germany recently with a 1 in 2 goal average and is no slouch either. IIRC Ferndinho had already been booked and was the last man, so he couldn't touch Diouf or we'd have been down to 10 men.

The only thing I would have done differently today is I'd have probably brought on Navas earlier because the middle was so congested we needed the ability to change tactics in game. We were also too slow on the break. Time after time I noticed that we seemed to lack the blistering pace to get beyond them on the break and we kept holding up our own play waiting for players to join in which gave Stoke the opportunity to get back into position.

On the left they kept doubling up on Kolorov to ensure he rarely got near the by-line so he had to keep slinging in crosses from long range which was never gonna help with those column like defenders Stoke had. Perhaps an out and out left winger would have been advantageous to us today, who knows, all I say is we played well and were beaten fair and square. We just need to wipe our mouths and move on to the next match and start preparing for other teams using this Stoke template to combat us with.

Having looked at the game again , I wouldn't agree that we played well , we were slow and often sloppy getting forward and only go a sense of urgency once we conceded and even then it was only in the last 20 minutes that we created a modicum of width.

Many players well below what they are capable of and they just expected it would happen.

It didn't because Stoke were well organised and closed the spaces but we made it relatively easy for them to do so.

Whether its early in the season cobwebs and a 6 day break I don't know but Stoke played a few that beat Portsmouth so no excuses on that front.

A poor day at the office and a compact opposition made for a poor match with neither keeper pressured into doing anything.

The one time Hart had to he came up short.

Stoke will accumulate too many point to go down but they won't be pressing for a Europa spot anytime soon.

Swansea , Southampton, Newcastle and even Hull I suspect will finish ahead of them this season.

By and large our games against Stoke are drab affairs with a mistake or two deciding the outcome except when we click at home and put them to bed early.

That was the key we had to come out the blocks and score early which would have changed the whole affair and we didn't do it.

We are only at 50 per cent if that with what we are capable of and will need to be to challenge the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal.

Spurs have a much better manager now than in the past so I suspect they will accumulate more points this season as well and some of them will be against sides they were beaten by last year.

It's very early stages but the way Chelsea are playing at the moment I can't see them dropping many points. Shame because we have cracking team too but they look the most complete team. Today highlighted the problems we have our lack of pace and occasional erratic defending.

should we not try something different at corners Let Silva have a rest and try some body who can at least put a bit of weight through it to avoid the first man, oh for a tommy Hutch a REEVES flick on and a BOBBY MAC GOAL!!!!!!!! Hopefully today might be the kick up the arse we need to let us know ALLl victories will have to be fought for ps if anybody thinks i am yearning for the JB days -im not just the corners

I'm actually laughing this morning it's certainly given the rags something to be pleased about haha. All I keep hearing is Chelsea will win the league by 10 points and City will finish 4th. The game yesterday was a freak result and they don't happen very often so best we get it out of the way early. We'll go to Arsenal in 2 weeks and get 3 points imo and then beat Chelsea (we are due a result) the week after. This season is gunna be 1 hell of a rollercoaster ride and us as fans should be used to them by now we've been on some very big 1s. Keep our heads high our squad is fantastic and yesterday was probably the kick up the arse they needed we can only get stronger :)

1 rag fan this morning even said to me Stoke? haha and the reply was Swansea, Sunderland, MK Dons & Burnley still winless? haha soon fucked off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.