City vs QPR 2012 - 5 Live full game commentary

I hate that game. I was there on the day and I've watched the whole game live on sky probably twice. It was bloody awful, as were we as a team until the two late goals. Nothing about it is worth replaying except the five minutes of added time.
Same. I’ve watched it back once and hated every minute barring injury time at the end.

Same. I’ve watched it back once and hated every minute barring injury time at the end.

It was torture on the day. The stress and weight of expectation was overwhelming after not winning the title for 44 years. Also "Typical City" was still very much at the forefront of our minds. As we conceded two soft goals, the second with QPR down to ten men and just never looked like scoring, it was pure mental and emotional torture. It was like being in a nightmare you couldn't wake up from but just had to watch it unfold around you. It was made all the more unbearable by the fact our gloating arrogant bullies from across town were going to win it, another failure in a long list to mock us with.

Of course the fact that we eventually prevailed made everything all the more joyous. I floated in a wave of euphoria for months afterwards. I still can't sit through it all again though, I only want to see the end.

I hate that game. I was there on the day and I've watched the whole game live on sky probably twice. It was bloody awful, as were we as a team until the two late goals. Nothing about it is worth replaying except the five minutes of added time.
Let's be honest; we were piss poor in the Villa game as well. Take away the last 15 minutes, and there's nothing in that game that remains in the memory.

It was torture on the day. The stress and weight of expectation was overwhelming after not winning the title for 44 years. Also "Typical City" was still very much at the forefront of our minds. As we conceded two soft goals, the second with QPR down to ten men and just never looked like scoring, it was pure mental and emotional torture. It was like being in a nightmare you couldn't wake up from but just had to watch it unfold around you. It was made all the more unbearable by the fact our gloating arrogant bullies from across town were going to win it, another failure in a long list to mock us with.

Of course the fact that we eventually prevailed made everything all the more joyous. I floated in a wave of euphoria for months afterwards. I still can't sit through it all again though, I only want to see the end.
If you knew the outcome, it’s the best way to win any match. It’s just that we didn’t know and we didn’t know how to react throughout the match.

Jim’s right about the Villa game being similar and the feeling when Coutinho scored was the same kick to the guts.

The difference in that game was that we knew we could well come back and win. It was also 15 minutes sooner and we were all screaming for the final whistle from the 81st minute. Not sure we lost the ball anyway in the time that was left.

Let's be honest; we were piss poor in the Villa game as well. Take away the last 15 minutes, and there's nothing in that game that remains in the memory.

I can't disagree with that either. In fact if Watkins would have had his shooting boots on we would have been losing at least 4-0 and no comeback.

I'll add to that. As disappointing as it would have been to lose that day and hand the title to Liverpool it didn't compare to the QPR game for emotional pain. We'd won plenty of trophies by then and knew we'd probably win more. Against QPR, although we were obviously on an upwards trajectory, we were still mentally still 70/30 in typical City territory.

Last edited:
I can't disagree with that either. In fact if Watkins would have had his shooting boots on we would have been losing at least 4-0 and no comeback.
That last 15 minutes, though; what a buzz that was. Maybe not to the level of 93:20 (lucky enough to have been at both), as that was the first one, and also the lateness of the turn around. And, of course, who we beat to the finishing line. I can still see that bloke with his radio clamped against his ear up at Sunderland, and turning to his mate; "they've scored". And, of course, the woman in red!

That last 15 minutes, though; what a buzz that was. Maybe not to the level of 93:20 (lucky enough to have been at both), as that was the first one, and also the lateness of the turn around. And, of course, who we beat to the finishing line. I can still see that bloke with his radio clamped against his ear up at Sunderland, and turning to his mate; "they've scored". And, of course, the woman in red!

Oh yes both superb memories in their own right. At the Villa game I remember saying to one of the regulars near me when Coutinho scored, "They'll be no QPR style comeback today." We were so bad I actually expected Villa to score again if anything. How wrong I was, thank God.

If you knew the outcome, it’s the best way to win any match. It’s just that we didn’t know and we didn’t know how to react throughout the match.

Jim’s right about the Villa game being similar and the feeling when Coutinho scored was the same kick to the guts.

The difference in that game was that we knew we could well come back and win. It was also 15 minutes sooner and we were all screaming for the final whistle from the 81st minute. Not sure we lost the ball anyway in the time that was left.

I don't know why anyone would watch the whole QPR game - fucking awful as you say.

The Villa game - that moment when Watkins went through. Fuck me, I was on my knees. How the fuck he missed I still do not know! He was miles onside as well.

But yes, there was a belief we could do what we needed to in that game, and I think it helped with Liverpool never being in a position to win it anyway.

I've watched the CL final back in full, a largely shit game up until our goal but quite enjoyed watching it back. It brought back all the memories of watching it live - where I was panicking - where I was screaming at the telly etc.

I don't know why anyone would watch the whole QPR game - fucking awful as you say.

The Villa game - that moment when Watkins went through. Fuck me, I was on my knees. How the fuck he missed I still do not know! He was miles onside as well.

But yes, there was a belief we could do what we needed to in that game, and I think it helped with Liverpool never being in a position to win it anyway.

I've watched the CL final back in full, a largely shit game up until our goal but quite enjoyed watching it back. It brought back all the memories of watching it live - where I was panicking - where I was screaming at the telly etc.
Yeah, highlights of the CL final are all that’s needed too. Not much happens except you relive the tension!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.