City Vs Swansea post match discussion

cleavers said:
I don't think today was as bad as some might make out, why ? Well Swansea have what I think is a pretty astute manager in Laudrup, and I think he used our Dortmund game as a blueprint, don't get me wrong Swansea are not Dortmund, but credit to him for trying the same game plans. These were a tight defensive unit that we couldn't break through the middle of, a very good passing game, with good off the ball movement, quick counter attacking, great pressing of our players when in possession.

It worked for one half, but Mancini made a simple change, removing the ineffective (or invisible) Kolarov, and pulling Tevez into a licence to roam position, and putting Mario up top. It was a game changer, Tevez pressed them, Mario created space with some hard work. It largely halted Swansea's good work, and eventually it paid off with the goal.

After that both teams were affected by the injuries, and the game died, but we continued to press their players, and they were no longer comfortable on the ball, and made mistakes.

Perfect.

For me we barely deserved the win, but we got it, and most importantly we got a clean sheet, one I thought we deserved today. Wins like this are very important, and can define a season, and though it wasn't the convincing performance we all wanted after Wednesday, the result was more important, and should give confidence to the players.

We will benefit from no game this week, a time for the squad to regroup, look at the bigger picture, the one where we pretty well on the same points total as last year, with more points from the equivalent games, and still not yet near top form.

Today

Hart 6, didn't have a lot to do
Richards 7, thought he had a good game, I hope his injury isn't serious
Kompany 6, still not at his best
Nastasic 6, did OK
Clichy 7, big improvement from Wednesday
Barry 7, see Clichy
Y Toure 6, awful first half, better second
Nasri 6, see Yaya
Kolarov 3, mostly invisible when he was moved to the right, but that wasn't his fault
Aguero 5, I thought he was poor
Tevez 8, best player by a country mile, great finish

Kolo 6, did OK in the short time he was on
Balotelli 7, worked hard for little reward, should have had a penalty (or a goal)
Lescott, not on long enough, but helped keep the clean sheet

cleavers said:
I don't think today was as bad as some might make out, why ? Well Swansea have what I think is a pretty astute manager in Laudrup, and I think he used our Dortmund game as a blueprint, don't get me wrong Swansea are not Dortmund, but credit to him for trying the same game plans. These were a tight defensive unit that we couldn't break through the middle of, a very good passing game, with good off the ball movement, quick counter attacking, great pressing of our players when in possession.

It worked for one half, but Mancini made a simple change, removing the ineffective (or invisible) Kolarov, and pulling Tevez into a licence to roam position, and putting Mario up top. It was a game changer, Tevez pressed them, Mario created space with some hard work. It largely halted Swansea's good work, and eventually it paid off with the goal.

After that both teams were affected by the injuries, and the game died, but we continued to press their players, and they were no longer comfortable on the ball, and made mistakes.

For me we barely deserved the win, but we got it, and most importantly we got a clean sheet, one I thought we deserved today. Wins like this are very important, and can define a season, and though it wasn't the convincing performance we all wanted after Wednesday, the result was more important, and should give confidence to the players.

We will benefit from no game this week, a time for the squad to regroup, look at the bigger picture, the one where we pretty well on the same points total as last year, with more points from the equivalent games, and still not yet near top form.

Today

Hart 6, didn't have a lot to do
Richards 7, thought he had a good game, I hope his injury isn't serious
Kompany 6, still not at his best
Nastasic 6, did OK
Clichy 7, big improvement from Wednesday
Barry 7, see Clichy
Y Toure 6, awful first half, better second
Nasri 6, see Yaya
Kolarov 3, mostly invisible when he was moved to the right, but that wasn't his fault
Aguero 5, I thought he was poor
Tevez 8, best player by a country mile, great finish

Kolo 6, did OK in the short time he was on
Balotelli 7, worked hard for little reward, should have had a penalty (or a goal)
Lescott, not on long enough, but helped keep the clean sheet

Now this is the post of the thread IMHO. Totally agree

hart made two good saves. The one on one in 1st half was particularly good. Not sure we would have come back from a goal down.

I thought at half time we'd make a change, and come out really flying for the first 15 mins but would have to score in that period.

Players were clearly tired and many of them had poor games, but they gave their all. Liked Clichy's attitude and mario worked really hard when he came on. He defended from the front, and that really helped

Tevez was superb. I'd give him 10 for that. Thought Kompany and Nastasic had good games. I know Swansea got through 2-3 times but it was a bit scary at times to see Clichy and Richards so far forwards for most of the game. It was almost inevitable that Swansea would manage to break on us at some point.

cleavers said:
andyhinch said:
We won, or is at that to simplistic to all you. Hyperbrains
Not all no.

We also beat a pretty well organised, well set up team, who've had no game this week.

Swansea impressed me too, well organised yes, quick on the counter too.

We werent at our best but won. Thats what champions do.

Cleavers, you don't think it might be an idea for Mancini to do his homework so he doesn't have to change his team and formation literally every 20 minutes?

I guess a barely deserved victory over a team struggling is an improvement on a well deserved loss.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.