City Vs Swansea post match discussion

I thought we would struggle today but at least we got the 3 points.I hope Richards injury is not serious.This is another reason why where not playing well we are getting a lot of injuries in defence and midfield plus Milner was suspended

FanchesterCity said:
I think the halftime booing was largely exasperation as Kolarov's woeful freekick which ended a frustrating half - which just about tipped the crowd into booing.

On a positive note, Tevez was simply outstanding today. Sheer effort all over the pitch, regardless of his goal, he was superb.

I thought Yaya looked a little tired, but he did attempt a few runs.
Kompany's venturing a little too high up the pitch sometimes, and it's compromising us defensively.

I thought Nasri put in a real shift today, and Barry looked like he's returning to his better form... not quite there yet, but definitely on the mend.

Joe Hart possibly kept the points for us.

Nasty had a decent game, but I thought Kolo really did look past it. He really was an emergency measure.

Clichy played well too, made some fine runs but few were picked up, although his mad dash in the first half was very strange! Like a dog chasing a rabbit!.

Sergio looked a tad out of sorts. Certainly not bad, but an off day.

Richards wasn't too bad, real shame about the injury.

Despite having said most players had a pretty decent game - I felt we were the better team, but always on the cusp of danger... a win is a win, and we needed it for many reason today, but it took until the second half before we came out all guns blazing, then lapsed into 'relaxed' mode soon after the goal... 'relaxed' rapidly turns into 'nervous' at 1-0 against a good passing team.

Well played Swansea. Attractive football, a lot of effort, good support (in number) - but could have been louder.

Roll on West Ham

Reasoned and fair analysis.

Only thing I would add, is Aguero is very out of sorts, not just a tad.

FanchesterCity said:
I think the halftime booing was largely exasperation as Kolarov's woeful freekick which ended a frustrating half - which just about tipped the crowd into booing.
Not booing, merely a collective sharp intake of breath at the sheer audacity and awesome power displayed.

The 12 minutes added time made that the longest game in PL history and it certainly seemed like it at times. Very lethargic in the first half when most of us expected a reaction after Wednesday. No pace, no movement, too many silly mistakes. And let's give credit to Swansea who pressed well

Much better in the second half when we did the pressing and moved the ball quicker. I think the problem was that we missed Silva, who would have played the advanced midfield role but there was no one there in the first half to take the ball when we were going forward. Personally I would have moved Nasri there rather than have him out wide but Tevez took on the role when Mario came on and that made the difference. Disappointing that we then sat back after scoring as we did in Amsterdam. We have to kill games off by taking the game to the opposition rather than settling for a defending a single goal lead. That's cost us in Madrid & Amsterdam. In our best games last season we kept on playing to win until the final whistle.

Wretched Vengeance said:
FanchesterCity said:

On a positive note, Tevez was simply outstanding today. Sheer effort all over the pitch, regardless of his goal, he was superb.

I thought Yaya looked a little tired, but he did attempt a few runs.
Kompany's venturing a little too high up the pitch sometimes, and it's compromising us defensively.

I thought Nasri put in a real shift today, and Barry looked like he's returning to his better form... not quite there yet, but definitely on the mend.

Joe Hart possibly kept the points for us.

Nasty had a decent game, but I thought Kolo really did look past it. He really was an emergency measure.

Clichy played well too, made some fine runs but few were picked up, although his mad dash in the first half was very strange! Like a dog chasing a rabbit!.

Sergio looked a tad out of sorts. Certainly not bad, but an off day.

Richards wasn't too bad, real shame about the injury.

Despite having said most players had a pretty decent game - I felt we were the better team, but always on the cusp of danger... a win is a win, and we needed it for many reason today, but it took until the second half before we came out all guns blazing, then lapsed into 'relaxed' mode soon after the goal... 'relaxed' rapidly turns into 'nervous' at 1-0 against a good passing team.

Well played Swansea. Attractive football, a lot of effort, good support (in number) - but could have been louder.

Roll on West Ham

Reasoned and fair analysis.

Only thing I would add, is Aguero is very out of sorts, not just a tad.
Aguero was out of sorts to put it mildly. Not difficult to know why. 2 World Cup games in South America. Flys back and a sub appearance at WBA then plays at Ajax. Same for much of the City team, and with all the injuries we couldn't freshen it up. Best win of the season for me, thanks in large part to a fantastic 2nd half performance from Tevez.

Happy with the 3 points, look forward to Silvas return as I think YaYa, Silva and Nasri's link up play last season was our foundation of creativity and cutting edge.

Prestwich_Blue said:
The 12 minutes added time made that the longest game in PL history and it certainly seemed like it at times. Very lethargic in the first half when most of us expected a reaction after Wednesday. No pace, no movement, too many silly mistakes. And let's give credit to Swansea who pressed well

Much better in the second half when we did the pressing and moved the ball quicker. I think the problem was that we missed Silva, who would have played the advanced midfield role but there was no one there in the first half to take the ball when we were going forward. Personally I would have moved Nasri there rather than have him out wide but Tevez took on the role when Mario came on and that made the difference. Disappointing that we then sat back after scoring as we did in Amsterdam. We have to kill games off by taking the game to the opposition rather than settling for a defending a single goal lead. That's cost us in Madrid & Amsterdam. In our best games last season we kept on playing to win until the final whistle.
That spell in the 2nd half after half time won us the game. I don't think we had it in the tank to go on from there. 7 days now to recuperate, get some injured players back and go again.

Returning after a European game is sometimes awkward and I think we did very well to get 3 points

I don't think today was as bad as some might make out, why ? Well Swansea have what I think is a pretty astute manager in Laudrup, and I think he used our Dortmund game as a blueprint, don't get me wrong Swansea are not Dortmund, but credit to him for trying the same game plans. These were a tight defensive unit that we couldn't break through the middle of, a very good passing game, with good off the ball movement, quick counter attacking, great pressing of our players when in possession.

It worked for one half, but Mancini made a simple change, removing the ineffective (or invisible) Kolarov, and pulling Tevez into a licence to roam position, and putting Mario up top. It was a game changer, Tevez pressed them, Mario created space with some hard work. It largely halted Swansea's good work, and eventually it paid off with the goal.

After that both teams were affected by the injuries, and the game died, but we continued to press their players, and they were no longer comfortable on the ball, and made mistakes.

For me we barely deserved the win, but we got it, and most importantly we got a clean sheet, one I thought we deserved today. Wins like this are very important, and can define a season, and though it wasn't the convincing performance we all wanted after Wednesday, the result was more important, and should give confidence to the players.

We will benefit from no game this week, a time for the squad to regroup, look at the bigger picture, the one where we pretty well on the same points total as last year, with more points from the equivalent games, and still not yet near top form.

Today

Hart 6, didn't have a lot to do
Richards 7, thought he had a good game, I hope his injury isn't serious
Kompany 6, still not at his best
Nastasic 6, did OK
Clichy 7, big improvement from Wednesday
Barry 7, see Clichy
Y Toure 6, awful first half, better second
Nasri 6, see Yaya
Kolarov 3, mostly invisible when he was moved to the right, but that wasn't his fault
Aguero 5, I thought he was poor
Tevez 8, best player by a country mile, great finish

Kolo 6, did OK in the short time he was on
Balotelli 7, worked hard for little reward, should have had a penalty (or a goal)
Lescott, not on long enough, but helped keep the clean sheet

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.