City Vs Watford (FA Cup) Post Match Discussion Thread

Phil Dowd v Watford

I saw something that I've never seen before from a referee yesterday when Dowd responded to the "Worse than Clattenburg" chant by turning to that section and cupping his ear in a You What? kind of gesture, all whilst the game was going on around him...

Anyone else notice it and/or seen a ref do this before?

Not sure what to make of it tbh, maybe it's a good thing that the ref can have time for a laugh with the crowd? But I do reckon it shows that he especially lets his ego get in the way of his job.

Re: Phil Dowd v Watford

I saw it and had a laugh. He's not worse than Clattenburg though or Lee Mason.

1.618034 said:
I saw something that I've never seen before from a referee yesterday when Dowd responded to the "Worse than Clattenburg" chant by turning to that section and cupping his ear in a You What? kind of gesture, all whilst the game was going on around him...

Not sure what to make of it tbh, maybe it's a good thing that the ref can have time for a laugh with the crowd? But I do reckon it shows that he especially lets his ego get in the way of his job.
He did it to several chants, at one point he was mimicking conducting the choir.

cleavers said:
1.618034 said:

He did it to several chants, at one point he was mimicking conducting the choir.

yes I wondered what the fuck he was doing. He's not right.

Sorry but did this topic really need merging into the post-match thread?

I would've thought that it deserves it's own discussion in the main forum as few people will be bothering with the matchday thread the day after a game. No?

Ah well.

Back on topic..

It seems like it's nothing out of the ordinary for him after all...

I wonder what the FA think of him doing this...? I guess it's not against any rules but it's surely inadvisable as it's asking for trouble IMO.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but what about Zaba's commitment? Getting booked for contesting a throw in. Brilliant. And as someone who was sitting right in front of that contested throw in it WAS ours. Their player kicked it but guess the linesman was blindsided!! (He wasn't just needed to go to Specsavers)

However Zaba's reaction showed how committed he is to winning. Rather like that head bang on the goal post at the Derby.

cleavers said:
1.618034 said:
I wonder what the FA think of him doing this...? I guess it's not against any rules but it's surely inadvisable as it's asking for trouble IMO.
I don't see a problem with it to be honest, at least he's not up his own arse like Clattenburg and Jones.

Fair enough. But it is very unusual and for me the ref's part in the show should be to remain detached from the emotion and remain completely neutral. Something Dowd has a real problem with.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.