City Women - Champions and Continental Cup Winners 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free parking but usually the blue car park,other side of Joe Mercer way.Can't park by the bridge anymore due to security reasons,I believe.

Manchester City Women sailed into the next round of the Continental Tyres Cup with a stunning 8-0 victory at Aston Villa.

A hat-trick from Nikita Parris, plus goals from Jane Ross (2), Tessel Middag, Daphne Corboz and Jill Scott secured the win against the Super League 2 outfit, returning the Blues to winning ways.

Following two successive draws with Liverpool in the Super League, manager Nick Cushing opted to ring the changes for the clash at Sutton Coldfield

Marie Hourihan, Keira Walsh and Nikita Parris replaced Karen Bardsley, Jennifer Beattie and Toni Duggan, while Megan Campbell and Tessel Middag made their first starts in place of Abbie McManus and Daphne Corboz.

City started brightly and were handed a gift within three minutes, as Elisha N’Dow was penalised for handball in the area. Parris stepped up to convert the spot-kick and settle any early nerves of an upset.

Middag then saw an effort saved from Kosovare Asllani’s cut-back and Parris forced Grace Moloney into a stop with a driven attempt.

The Blues’ lead was doubled with another penalty just after the quarter-hour mark – once again, courtesy of another handball. This time it was Chloe Jones, who thwarted Ross’ effort on the line illegally and the defender was given her marching orders.

The Scottish striker stepped up to bag her second in successive games, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way.

Within a minute, the contest was effectively ended as Parris netted her second, volleying in Middag’s cross at the backpost.

The Dutch new recruit continued to impress on just her second appearance. The Dutch star marked her full debut with a goal, hooking in Parris’ head back, after Ross had been denied from close range by Sarah Mayling.

Parris then had an effort pushed onto the bar and the returning Walsh struck a fine half-volley just over before Middag almost made it five with a nifty backheel which was scrambled away off the line in the last action of the opening 45.

The Blues continued where they left off after the break. Asllani nearly got in on the act but blazed over and Middag drilled inches wide.

City added their fifth just before the hour as Parris completed her hat-trick, smashing home Campbell’s cross to the backpost.

Moloney then did well to prevent Asllani and Ross from extending the lead, while at the other end Hourihan was called into action to deny Alyce Hinchcliffe.

The goal of the game arrived next as Corboz let fly from the edge of the area, unleashing a screamer into the top corner.

Just when the scoring looked to be completed, the visitors bagged two in injury time, as Scott stooped to head across Moloney before Ross turned and struck a low effort into the bottom corner to cap an incredible day.

Next up, the WSL leaders return to league action with a trip to Notts County on 24 July.

New half season ticket available £25 for adults and £16 under 16s. I think there are 4 home league games left, at least 1 Conti Cup tie and Champs League round of 32 (and hopefully more) so minimum of 6 games. Bargain for anyone interested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36774563

So who's up for winter football! Going backwards is the new forward thinking!

The whole point of Summer football was to give the game an identity, surely now less and less will follow? Not sure I want to go out Mid January and catch a game when I can watch men's (any level) footie on TV all week long over the same period.

It could work well for City if some of the home games are scheduled on Saturday or Sunday lunchtimes before the men play. I'd certainly go early to watch both games.

Overall though, I think it's a step backwards for women's club football in an effort to help the England team. I think that's really short-sighted by the FA, if they genuinely want to grow the game. Presumably they think that a successful England team will have a knock-on effect for club attendances.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36774563

So who's up for winter football! Going backwards is the new forward thinking!

The whole point of Summer football was to give the game an identity, surely now less and less will follow? Not sure I want to go out Mid January and catch a game when I can watch men's (any level) footie on TV all week long over the same period.

Two thirds of the season already clashed with the men's season, yet we set some of the highest attendances the league has ever seen during those periods.

Two thirds of the season already clashed with the men's season, yet we set some of the highest attendances the league has ever seen during those periods.

Indeed, and there are so many gaps during summer it seems like they never play anyway.

What's the idea though, finish this season and then nothing til Aug 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.