City's 1960s team

Yes everything was more equal back then. 1972 left me gutted as a kid, I think we were clear at the top for a while. We fell away over Easter and in particular getting beat 2-1 by Stoke at home when Gordon Banks put in one of the best goalkeeping displays I have ever seen. Without him we would have won that game 7-2 we absolutely pulverised Stoke.

We should have won it in 1977/8 as well, we were the better side. A bloody icy pitch and that bloody Fairclough meant we drew with Liverpool, them scoring in the last few minutes.
Fairly sure it was the '76/77 season pc. I remember the game well. A few days after Christmas. We went 1 up, just before HT (Royle, from memory). And, as you said, they got a stuffy OG equaliser in the last couple of minutes. Watson heading a cross back to Joe, but never spotted that Joe had come out for the cross. Platt Lane end; I was walking towards that exit tunnel in the corner at the main stand when that goal went in. Heartbreaking stuff. And we went on to miss out on the title by a point. Christ, that was some side we had back then. And then Big Mal came in a couple of years later, and tore it apart.

Fairly sure it was the '76/77 season pc. I remember the game well. A few days after Christmas. We went 1 up, just before HT (Royle, from memory). And, as you said, they got a stuffy OG equaliser in the last couple of minutes. Watson heading a cross back to Joe, but never spotted that Joe had come out for the cross. Platt Lane end; I was walking towards that exit tunnel in the corner at the main stand when that goal went in. Heartbreaking stuff. And we went on to miss out on the title by a point. Christ, that was some side we had back then. And then Big Mal came in a couple of years later, and tore it apart.

Yes I get the date mixed up everytime. A freezing night and we had it won until that slip up at the end. Fitting that years later it was another slip that cost them the title.

That bloody carrot headed supersub Fairclough was a nuisance.

Yes I get the date mixed up everytime. A freezing night and we had it won until that slip up at the end. Fitting that years later it was another slip that cost them the title.

That bloody carrot headed supersub Fairclough was a nuisance.
Think he was the one putting pressure on Dave on that cross.

Think he was the one putting pressure on Dave on that cross.

Yes he came on as a sub and we all.groaned as he often scored, which is why they called him supersub. He caused the mistake and everyone thought he had scored at the time.

Yeah, I remember it was a bitterly cold night and the pitch was almost rock hard with frost. Players had been skidding around all the game. It hampered Big Joe's ability to turn & recover his ground when Big Dave headed it back. It was a real sickener and at the end of the season that dropped point effectively cost us the League. In those days I stood in the Kippax level with the 18 yard line at the Platt Lane end so had a great (?) view of the ball sailing agonisingly into the City net.

Yes couple days after the 2-0 win at Leeds,Kidd got both.

when malcolm allison come back for a 2nd stint at city was to destroy city and swales plain and simple
tony book had us going great and won the league cup and close in the league with a good bunch of players and youth

why on earth did malcolm allison think get rid of most of them and start again ? barnes owen should have been city future and with the likes of joe corrigan. dave watson. willie donachie. tommy booth. mike doyle. ash hartford. mick channon. brian kidd. still have 3 to 5 seasons in them city should have been winning titles and cups

so its clear on paper what malcolm allinson was up to ? he knew its pay back time and did a very good job of sinking city for good, swales was fooled into thinking magic happens with malcolm allison. but the truth is jo mercer was the master allison was a bully
I agree with much of what you say but Tony Book sold Mike Doyle to Stoke and we finished around 14th in 78-79 so changes were needed. I would have trusted Skip to buy some decent quality players as he had made several good signings previously and although Channon and Futcher didn't work out as well as anticipated, both would have been looked at as ideal signings to replace Dennis Tueart (wish he'd never left in his peak years) and for the highly rated Futcher to 'replace' Mike Doyle and augment Watson and Booth at centre-back. The rumours I hear now that Tueart might have stayed and Souness and Ball were touted as possible signings circa 1977 makes it all the more frustrating. As for Daley, he was excellent at Wolves and had he arrived for around 600k in a more settled environment would probably have been fine. Wish we could have tempted Lawrenson a year or 2 before his move to Liverpool and maybe a quality full-back. Looking at Joe Royle signing circa 1974, I wouldn't have been surprised if Booky had tried to sign Peter Withe from Forest in 78 as he had won the league with them yet dropped down a division to play at Newcastle..... Wouldn't happen today!! He went on to win the league and European Cup with Villa and who knows, it could have been us.....

I recall watching something on Grandstand where Jimmy Hill went through the future England side.... going to say the summer of 1979 or so and City had or would sign more than half the side(Kevin Reeves, Paul Futcher, Owen, Barnes, Williams, Daley and I think a couple more got spoken about). Allison made some strange signing, but overall alot of the people the club brought in over the 78-82 period prior to that first relegation where highly rated, they just didn't make it to the level that had been anticipated. Then it became a fire sale as we all know! I remember in the team profile page of the Spurs cup final programme it was titled "A team with a future" or something like that, its funny how football works

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.