City's greatest ever players

Dzeko.

Frustrating at times. But he's sixth in the premier league list of goals per minute ( yes I know football existed before 1992)

Our league win in 2014 was largely down to him and Toure scoring vital goals. The 4 goals away at Spurs was one of the most complete centre forward displays I've seen. Scored for fun at the swamp.

And if you ever read the Begovic interview about Dzeko's childhood in Bosnia then you can't help but root for the guy

In the 60s the old timers all reckoned Bell was the best SINCE Doherty. The general feeling among that age group also was that Swift was better than Trautmann. Do you always place your childhood heroes too high on the list or not? I guess that depends on the individual. Personally I don't so it's unfair to assume they did. I'm 54 and the best player I've seen playing in a City shirt is Aguero. Silva and Toure must also easily make the all time top 10.
the billy meredith generation would maybe rank him higher than doherty,like you say maybe a generation thing ,

So much debate to be had about this, isn't there. What constitutes a City great. Is it pure, natural talent, achievement in terms of trophies? Would a Dickov be rated higher than a Deyna?
We could all come up with a list of 50 but ones age, historical knowledge and the criteria used will always cause controversy.

@Kinkys Left Foot nice to see your well deserved admiration for Max Woosnam but I would place him just behind CB Fry among all-round English sportsmen and the pair of them behind the phenomenal American Jim Thorpe.

http://www.cmgww.com/sports/thorpe/bio/bio.html

Funnily enough, there was a supporters' poll in 1973/4 the results of which featured in the match programme for the New Year's Day game against Stoke. It's noted by the superb Simon Curtis on one of his sites, No Repartee: https://norepartee.wordpress.com/2014/09/06/1973-74-stoke-home/

He doesn't say who all of the top six were but Swift and Trautmann made the cut, Bert topping the poll (only around a decade since he retired so he was fresh in people's memories). Interestingly, Summerbee was the most popular current player while Bell didn't figure in the top six. Strikes me as slightly odd given that I remember Bell widely being regarded as the best ever when I was a kid (and I started going in 1975/6, so not long after).

Salient text here for those who don't want to follow the link:

The trouble with Bell was He was such a miserable bugger he could score a vital goal and simply just turn around and walk back to the centre circle showing no emotion. He did have an engine like a Ferrari though and was vital to our success at the time.

Of the current crop Silva, Aguero & Zabaleta would have to be included. I also think Ali Benarbia would merit a place.
#1 for me will always be Colin Bell but subjective is the key word. Don't start a worst player list though 'coz you haven't got the space.

The trouble with Bell was He was such a miserable bugger he could score a vital goal and simply just turn around and walk back to the centre circle showing no emotion. He did have an engine like a Ferrari though and was vital to our success at the time.
you would be miserable if you had to turn around and walk back that many times

Silva for that assist for Delph on Saturday is as good as it gets 4 me , so straight in at one

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.