CL Quarter Final Draw - Liverpool A Apr 4th - H Apr 10th

Think the 2nd leg at home was a advantage in years gone by based on a number of factors.
Less information was available about your opponents,crowd intimidation sometimes came into play,travel arrangements and accomodation were much more difficult and the state of pitches was a big factor as teams could have a advantage being used to their own.
Almost all of these things have been eliminated over time and it's maybe just because I'm a old **** that I remember these coming into play.

Tend to agree

Not buying that United are in the driving seat of their tie, if Sevilla score they are in trouble

Whilst it’ll be nice to get an easy draw, I don’t think any team left in the competition wants to draw us that’s for sure.

Easiest tie would be Roma/Shakhtar or Seville/Utd. Dippers are certainly beatable. Rest are very difficult ties but at the end of the day if we play our A game we are a match for anyone.

Over the two legs I think we have as good a chance as anyone, plus the fact Barca, juve, rags, dippers, Roma, Sevilla, real and Chelsea all have to divide their attention between champs league and their respective leagues. Bayern would be the biggest problem over the two legs and candlepool in the final think the sheer pace in their squad would cause us the most issues.

I might be in minority here but do share your point of view on this ... the whole myth of being drawn at home second is advantageous is in my view only a myth ... I actually think having second leg away is more advantageous ...

My reasoning is away goals rule ... carry over a draw after first leg and your goals count as double when away ... moreover if it goes to extra time you have that extra half an hour to score away goals vs if you are at home and the tie stretches to the extra time then you are giving your opponent that opportunity of extra half hour to score an away goal ... wherebas you’d need to score two to get anything out of it then.

And also not like we ever have a colosseum like atmosphere at the Etihad that would intimidate anyone (at this level) as much so I don’t actually see if being home second gives all that extra advantage?

"carry over a draw from the first leg and your goals count as double when away " ????? so if we draw 3-3 at home in the 1st leg our goals are worth 6 goals in the 2nd leg , this must be a new rule UEFA have brought , please enlighten me. But I am sure you went to the Hamburg home game , the atmosphere was electric and i think your disregard at the ability of our supporters to create an intimidating atmosphere in a 2nd leg game is unneccessary, disagree with your other points , if a team did have to play 30 minutes extra time then its obvious you would rather play the extra half hour at home with vast majority of the support rooting for you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.