CL R16 - Real Madrid - (A) 26/02 - (H) 17/03

Will City have any of their so called Representatives on hand this time.
The incident shown was the first game we played and I believe there was a member of the City Staff (a lady) present at the Cafe as I was.
On the second time when we played and we were forced into pens, pushed from the back by the Police and hit by the Police at the front.
Not to mention what went on in the ground just before KO.
On this occasion two City people an older man and a women with City blazers on witnessed the brutality of the Police and when confronted by me and a couple of others just walked away.
Now I am not saying they could have done anything about it but they could have reported it to City and a formal complaint made.
I think we have a right to demand that City place their people outside the turnstiles with Cameras and tell Madrid they will be doing so.
PS If anyone wants to see Fans taking on the Madrid Police and having a good go. Look up Legia Warsaw in Madrid on You Tube.

After the semi-final in 2016, I e-mailed Lisa Eaton about what went on and my own experiences. To be fair, she replied quite promptly and said that the club were gathering information, and statements, etc, and were encouraging fans to come forward. What came of it I don't know. My guess is that City were taking it at least semi-seriously but that they were powerless to do anything about it because as has been proven many times down the years, the Madrid police really are a law unto themselves. The fact that they treat their own citizens equally badly tells you all you need to know. What's even more laughable is that this is a Western European country, a fully paid-up member of the European Union, and they can still get away with it without seemingly any comeback whatsoever. Now, some might say that it's not really the EU's business to get involved in internal politics but my argument is that when these incidents often involve the citizens of other EU countries (and of course their own country) then they surely ought to have some say, plus I thought one of the provisos of becoming a member of the EU is that the country should have a decent human rights record, which if I'm not mistaken is one of the things preventing Turkey becoming a member, yet the fascist Madrid police are allowed to go around beating anyone and everyone up in full view of the eyes of the world and aren't accountable to any fucker.

When I e-mailed Lisa Eaton, I also e-mailed the British Embassy in Madrid and said that I know my complaint was fruitless because there's nothing they could do either. They e-mailed back refuting this and said that they take these incidents very seriously, then followed that up by effectively fobbing me off and telling me to make an official complaint to the relevant Spanish police department! I never bothered in the end, mainly because I was due to go back over there just a few weeks later with the other half for several days in Seville and Madrid, and knowing my luck they'd have probably fucking banned me from entering the country.

As for City having cameras filming the police, I found out after the match in 2016 that the Spanish government had recently brought a law in making it illegal for anyone to film incidents of police brutality. I don't know for sure how true this is, but if it is then it's utterly laughable.

city supporter services
We are currently experiencing high volumes of traffic on our ticketing website due to our home fixture against Real Madrid going on sale to Cityzens Matchday Members this morning. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

so 2 people have phoned up

After the semi-final in 2016, I e-mailed Lisa Eaton about what went on and my own experiences. To be fair, she replied quite promptly and said that the club were gathering information, and statements, etc, and were encouraging fans to come forward. What came of it I don't know. My guess is that City were taking it at least semi-seriously but that they were powerless to do anything about it because as has been proven many times down the years, the Madrid police really are a law unto themselves. The fact that they treat their own citizens equally badly tells you all you need to know. What's even more laughable is that this is a Western European country, a fully paid-up member of the European Union, and they can still get away with it without seemingly any comeback whatsoever. Now, some might say that it's not really the EU's business to get involved in internal politics but my argument is that when these incidents often involve the citizens of other EU countries (and of course their own country) then they surely ought to have some say, plus I thought one of the provisos of becoming a member of the EU is that the country should have a decent human rights record, which if I'm not mistaken is one of the things preventing Turkey becoming a member, yet the fascist Madrid police are allowed to go around beating anyone and everyone up in full view of the eyes of the world and aren't accountable to any fucker.

When I e-mailed Lisa Eaton, I also e-mailed the British Embassy in Madrid and said that I know my complaint was fruitless because there's nothing they could do either. They e-mailed back refuting this and said that they take these incidents very seriously, then followed that up by effectively fobbing me off and telling me to make an official complaint to the relevant Spanish police department! I never bothered in the end, mainly because I was due to go back over there just a few weeks later with the other half for several days in Seville and Madrid, and knowing my luck they'd have probably fucking banned me from entering the country.

As for City having cameras filming the police, I found out after the match in 2016 that the Spanish government had recently brought a law in making it illegal for anyone to film incidents of police brutality. I don't know for sure how true this is, but if it is then it's utterly laughable.

By that logic we would have been kicked out of the EU by successive UK Government’s turning a blind eye to Muslim rape gangs, flammable cladding on high rise flats etc. I think there’s a political forum for that sort of stuff.

Anyway, I agree that there is very little City can do other than make a formal complaint. Walking down the steps at the end of the game In Madrid, I made sure I walked down the middle of the steps because the police were giving some Blues grief who came within baton distance of them.

wont we get 3,000 tickets mate. It wouldn’t surprise me if it did go to very low points or general sale. I went a bit higher because people had had lots of time to plan their trips.
It holds 80000ish so 5% is 4k. From memory we had just shy of 4k last time (3800 or 3900).

When the draw was made, both City and Liverpool fans were searching for flights to Madrid and that significantly raised the price of flights. I have a flight home from Madrid, but having to fly via Alicante on the way there.

Whilst the people I go to games with might not be representative of the whole support, there are some not bothering with this one and my (baseless) suspicion is this may be a sentiment shared by a number of others.

To counter that though, I know other people who don't normally go on Euro trips that have booked to go to this one.

All in I'd expect us to take about 2000-2500 but I hope I'm wrong and we sell out.

city supporter services
We are currently experiencing high volumes of traffic on our ticketing website due to our home fixture against Real Madrid going on sale to Cityzens Matchday Members this morning. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

so 2 people have phoned up
I was in position 1,179 in the queue on the ticketing site.

It holds 80000ish so 5% is 4k. From memory we had just shy of 4k last time (3800 or 3900).

When the draw was made, both City and Liverpool fans were searching for flights to Madrid and that significantly raised the price of flights. I have a flight home from Madrid, but having to fly via Alicante on the way there.

Whilst the people I go to games with might not be representative of the whole support, there are some not bothering with this one and my (baseless) suspicion is this may be a sentiment shared by a number of others.

To counter that though, I know other people who don't normally go on Euro trips that have booked to go to this one.

All in I'd expect us to take about 2000-2500 but I hope I'm wrong and we sell out.

Ticket prices of £70+ may keep it below that!

By that logic we would have been kicked out of the EU by successive UK Government’s turning a blind eye to Muslim rape gangs, flammable cladding on high rise flats etc. I think there’s a political forum for that sort of stuff.

Anyway, I agree that there is very little City can do other than make a formal complaint. Walking down the steps at the end of the game In Madrid, I made sure I walked down the middle of the steps because the police were giving some Blues grief who came within baton distance of them.

I'm not sure those are correct analogies to use Tim. For me, what the Madrid police get away with amounts to indiscriminate state-sponsored violence IMO, whereas the examples you gave - as serious as they are - are more to do with failings and mistakes. While I agree it is a political topic, I think the behaviour of the Madrid police towards City fans is entirely appropriate in a thread such as this. Hopefully, we won't see a repeat this time round. That semi final has put me off attending another football match in Madrid ever again (although I would've made an exception if we got to the final last year lol), so I'm probably going to make a day of it in town for the second leg instead.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.