CL vs PL

Southern

When the owners bought the club, winning the CL was the big goal. It still is very important judging from how disappointed Khaldoon was in the recent interview.

However, the PL has grown even more in popularity and fame in the last 5-10 years, but the CL doesn’t seem to have. Also, everyone can see how UEFA are favouring certain teams so no one is surprised Madrid are winning it each season .

So, is winning the PL now more important for the ‘bramd’ and popularity of Man City (and other PL tea and) around the world?

Those who live in North America and Asia, what do the casual fans know more about - CL or PL?

Pep said last week prem always back to back and it wouldn't be a disaster if we didnt win it for a while,i think the media going on how the owners are desperate to win it is overblown,pep says it takes time and i agree,you can fluke your way thhrough to the final but you can't fluke the prem,i agree with him prem always

Because the op asked for the opinion of those in North America, I'll respond with my experience on the subject. Keep in mind that I can only respond from personal experience so I don't claim exclusivity, but here goes.
Most of my friends are NFL football fans and not familiar with the various competitions and their demands and idiosyncrasies. For the majority of the guys in the pub they're more than willing to indulge my love of the game and there are rarely complaints when PL football is on the televisions, it's easy to understand, It's English football, one league, one country (to the average yank, Cardiff and Swansea are in England) it's straightforward and most, if not all teams have been heard of. CL and EL not so much. The ideosycracy if the 4th place team from England playing the 3rd place side from Germany in a Champions league sometime gets lost in translation.
Couple the above with the fact that CL and EL are conducted during the PL's regular season and you can see where the confusion could come in.
My take on this is similar to the OP's in that the PL, especially here in the States has grown enormously in the past 5 or so years while even the casual observer here can detect a certain bias in both the officiating and seeding of the Champions league

Not even close to me. Let's say we've won the League 6 times in a row. Then maybe the CL.

Because the op asked for the opinion of those in North America, I'll respond with my experience on the subject. Keep in mind that I can only respond from personal experience so I don't claim exclusivity, but here goes.
Most of my friends are NFL football fans and not familiar with the various competitions and their demands and idiosyncrasies. For the majority of the guys in the pub they're more than willing to indulge my love of the game and there are rarely complaints when PL football is on the televisions, it's easy to understand, It's English football, one league, one country (to the average yank, Cardiff and Swansea are in England) it's straightforward and most, if not all teams have been heard of. CL and EL not so much. The ideosycracy if the 4th place team from England playing the 3rd place side from Germany in a Champions league sometime gets lost in translation.
Couple the above with the fact that CL and EL are conducted during the PL's regular season and you can see where the confusion could come in.
My take on this is similar to the OP's in that the PL, especially here in the States has grown enormously in the past 5 or so years while even the casual observer here can detect a certain bias in both the officiating and seeding of the Champions league

Excellent post!

Great post. Very interesting

Much like the World Cup, the champions league is a lucky dip between 1 and 10 teams really with the odd excpetion - no matter how good your manager, squad is and how well you do - end of the day its a knockout competition and anyone can beat anyone on their day.
It’s unfair to criticize any team for not winning it, a bit like England with the World Cup.
Both competitions are great and whoever wins deserves it. But the the PL is a much fairer reflection of the ‘better team won’ overall.

sometimes i wish manchester city would turn down the offer to play champions league football its not a level playing field and uefa make it just about impossible for us to win. but the club needs it for many reasons and players are signed just because of champions league football and it demands a better wage for players so they will come. can manchester city survive without champions league football and money and still be the best team in england ??? its a hard question and the answer would be NO so we have to play champions league football and be in it every season with a top 4 place its hand in glove

Those who live in North America and Asia, what do the casual fans know more about - CL or PL?
I live in the US.

Virtually everyone I know hates football - too boring, nothing happens, not enough goals, etc.

But some follow the sport - those that do seem to have a favorite club and are very knowledgeable about the game. They'll know more about their side by far than I do.

So do the US fans that actually follow football know more about the CL than the PL? I think that they know about both competitions.

In that the CL winner is perceived among some as the best club in world football - I think that the majority of US football fans who follow PL sides would prefer a CL trophy over a PL trophy.

As outsiders, we don't appreciate inter-league club rivalries thus devaluing PL supremacy - too, we're familiar with American football where winning your league (division) is just a matter of besting 3 or 4 other sides whereas winning the Supperbowl means you're world champions (our so-called Supperbowl is restricted to US teams only and is played every year - it's somewhat more like the CL title (best in the world and all that) and, since it's the only trophy on the line, and since the winner is the best in the world, it has even more CL overtones; Americans probably equate winning an American football division with winning the PL (or perhaps much less so - is there even a trophy for winning an American football division?) and winning the Superbowl with winning the CL).

Having started following PL football some 10 years ago, I was initially much more in favor of City winning the CL than in winning the PL - nowadays... I'm not so sure.

Would love to win both titles - but winning the CL involves a lot of luck; winning the PL almost certainly means that you're the best side in the league. Not to mention - if you fail to win the PL you've lost to some rival PL club, likely a side that you dislike. Whereas failing to win the CL is disappointing but expected, given the luck and other top clubs involved.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.