Classic Album Overrated/Underrated Discussion

SkyBlueTX

So I posted this link to a list of the greatest albums ever made according to the critic aggregator site Acclaimed Music on Bluehammer's Stone Roses album review thread:
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/Current/top_3000_albums_150822.xls
This got me thinking that it might be fun to hear what people think about the consensus "great" albums in say the top 500 of this list. What album do you consider a gem that should be more highly regarded? In the same vein, what album is a critical darling that you think should be melted to carbon molecules and why?

I'll start--
Underrated:
#150 Born in the U.S.A by Bruce Springsteen
This is one of great popular music albums of the 1980s, had 7 hit singles, won a grammy for album of the year, etc. It is probably Bruce's second best album and should easily be in the top 25.

Overrated:
#3 Nevermind by Nirvana
Responsible for introducing the world to Seattle grunge in the early 90's, there's no disputing that was an influential album. But #3 of all time? Get real. Overrated by about 50 spots at least. Note that Rolling Stone originally gave this album 3 out of 5 stars, but now it has somehow risen above Sgt. Peppers.

Your turn.

can't take any list seriously that has Dizzee Rascal and MIA higher than Depeche Mode - Violator, New Order PCL or Happy Mondays, Pills and Thrills

Underrated for me :

Embrace - The Good Will Out - amazing album

David Gray - Pre White Ladder

The Bee-Gees - before all there disco stuff

Beady Eye! - Now Liam is rightly getting plaudits for his solo stuff, but had his album been under the name of ‘Beady Eye’ it would not be getting the same recognition, they did some cracking songs.

Moby - Pre ‘Play’ when he was doing some pretty epic dance tracks and after ‘play’ when he was producing some great pop songs but never reached the heights after the ‘Play’ album

Bob Dylan’s 1990/00’s stuff - sure he sounds like he’s gonna drop anytime but he’s never had the voice - still writing amazing tracks to go with some great music

I don't get Revolver or Rubber Soul. There was a trend a few years ago for people to say that Revolver was their favourite Beatles album. I'm convinced that it was just because of hipsters being physically incapable of admitting to agreeing with the consensus on something, that Sgt. Pepper's (or possibly Abbey Road) is obviously the best album.

I don't really like most classic punk albums. The Ramones, especially. They're kind of alright the first time you listen, but they don't really stand up to repeated listens.

I think a lot of stuff gets labelled as a classic album because it has a couple of big songs by a legendary band, but when you actually give it a listen, the album as a whole is nothing special. I find a lot of Rolling Stones albums pretty dull when you look past the big hits.

Oh and anything by someone who died soon after releasing it, of course.

Vespertine by Bjork is probably my most underrated album. I think Unison is the best think she's ever written.

I think () by Sigur Ros is my favourite album ever, but it doesn't really get much recognition, probably because it and none of the songs on it have a name, which doesn't help.

The Age of Adz by Sufjan Stevens. Finishes off with an incredible 25 minute song.

Oh, and obviously anything new is massively underrated. Let's be honest, nothing released in the next 20 years is ever going to get people to say, "actually, this is probably better than the Beatles" even if they're as influential in their own genre.

Last edited:
Underrated: Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden / Laughing Stock.
This is my means test of whether I can have an in depth discussion on music with someone. If, when I enquire what someone thinks of Talk Talk, they reply with " Aren"t they an 80's synth pop band?". I reply "something like that. Yeah, you're right - U2's great mate... would love to chat, but I've got some paint to watch dry. See ya!"

I don't get Revolver or Rubber Soul. There was a trend a few years ago for people to say that Revolver was their favourite Beatles album. I'm convinced that it was just because of hipsters being physically incapable of admitting to agreeing with the consensus on something, that Sgt. Pepper's (or possibly Abbey Road) is obviously the best album.

I don't really like most classic punk albums. The Ramones, especially. They're kind of alright the first time you listen, but they don't really stand up to repeated listens.

I think a lot of stuff gets labelled as a classic album because it has a couple of big songs by a legendary band, but when you actually give it a listen, the album as a whole is nothing special. I find a lot of Rolling Stones albums pretty dull when you look past the big hits.

Oh and anything by someone who died soon after releasing it, of course.

Vespertine by Bjork is probably my most underrated album. I think Unison is the best think she's ever written.

I think () by Sigur Ros is my favourite album ever, but it doesn't really get much recognition, probably because it and none of the songs on it have a name, which doesn't help.

The Age of Adz by Sufjan Stevens. Finishes off with an incredible 25 minute song.

Oh, and obviously anything new is massively underrated. Let's be honest, nothing released in the next 20 years is ever going to get people to say, "actually, this is probably better than the Beatles" even if they're as influential in their own genre.
Thanks for posting your thoughts. There is a lot here to digest.

On the Beatles, I've gone back and forth since the 1980s over my favorite. On actually listening to them start to finish, taking out the "historical importance" factor, there is good argument for both Rubber Soul and Revolver as better to listen to than Pepper. I don't know if that makes them greater.

I'll give you that some Stones albums are not that great to listen to all the way through, with the exception of Exile on Main Street. This is just simply a great rock album that is certainly in my top 10 list.

On new music, I must admit that I can't see a lot of quality in it. I'm sure it's an age thing. I do love the Strokes' "Is This It", #40 on this list, but that album is 16 years old now so not exactly new.

Beatles
Revolver I've always thought was their best.

Pepper would've been best had it had the 2 tracks it was supposed to have had

Namely, Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.