Classic Album Overrated/Underrated Discussion

Ive just spent the last hour looking through that list and there's loads I rate and thought was very influential that is very low in the list.

Growing up I was a huge AC/DC fan and my fave album of theirs Powerage only comes in at 2788. I loved the Pogues and they have 2 albums in at 301 & 756 and with MacGowans genius I'd have put them a lot higher. I also thought that The Waterboys would figure higher than they actually do This is the Sea and Fishermans Blue were on my turntable taking me to different worlds from the comfort of own home.

I would have liked to have seen that show. That band had Davey Patterson who went on to sing with Robin Trower. I would have loved to have seen the Robin Trower Band when they had Reg Isadore and James Dewar. I still talk to old heshers who saw that act and say they were unbeatable live. Dewar was such an underrated lead singer.

Also saw Trower at the FTH with Dewar & Bill Lordan, it was a great gig.

Yep, that's the obvious one. And of course the one that got away, partly because Lifehouse failed and partly because of the quality of the songs Glyn Johns inexplicably left off the final cut -the gorgeous Pure and Easy, Let's See Action, Join Together etc etc. Who's Next is a great album, but it could and should have been even better. And I think that slightly colours my view of an album I still love.
So would you have wanted more tracks i.e. a double album or an alternative single disc?

So would you have wanted more tracks i.e. a double album or an alternative single disc?

Well, they went with a single disc on purpose (after Lifehouse failed) because Tommy had been a double, but those tracks are stronger than say Going Mobile, Love Ain't for Keeping or Getting in Tune - not that those are weak songs, just not as exceptional.

Last edited:
Under rated on that list ... Well i was amazed that Tubular Bells (347), Autobahn(274),Wish You Where Here (186) , The Wall (146) and Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (266) all ranked so low . All of those, i would have expected to be in the top 50 ,Couldnt even find Thick As a Brick by Jethro Tull which i would have also expected to be pretty high up in the rankings .
A band which in my opinion are very much under rated is Echo and The Bunnymen , and their run of Heaven Up Here , Porcupines and Ocean Rain , are three of the finest albums of the eighties and stand the test of time well , went to see them at Holmefirth picture drome last summer and theyre still a great live act as well .

^^^^^^
Crocodiles was considered one of the excellent albums of the 1980s yet barely cracked the Top 1000 in this list somehow. "The Killing Moon" (which the band considered their strongest song) and "Bring on the Dancing Horses" get regular play on satellite radio in the States. That's about it though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.