Classic Rock (Phil Collins lives, run for the hills)

Thats an interesting post mate. Whilst I might vary from your list of bone fide legends a bit I can recognise why everyone that you list might meet the classic rock genre.
In terms of the newer bands, I can honestly say I have not heard of or listened to most you mention. Are they really making better music than those that have gone before or are they competent reruns that add very little new? Genuine question is there any band in your new list that is doing something brand new that gives you the same joy as the first time you heard 'suppers ready' or 'heart of the sunrise'. Music that just makes you think 'what the absolute fuck is that'?
Probably not, but then I’m not 16 anymore where everything is fresh and new, maybe for young people those bands do,and the newer bands show their influences which are my influences.
There is also a question about emotional attachments to a band or album, even a bands members, when we were young, no internet, you tube itunes, we’d get the bus to get album read the cover on the way home play it over and over, meet friends to talk get tickets go to gigs. We ‘d know the running order lyrics, have stories attached to certain songs and albums they would become part of who we were as people.
Now I’m 58 and enjoying discovering and listening to new music, but no I don’t have that attachment and excitement that I had scouring Sounds and vinyl racks taking a punt on bands based on the cover to discover great new music.

Last edited:
wot? No Wishbone Ash, 10cc, Family, Humble Pie, Rory?

What about Elbow? They have a melodic sweeping majesty to some of their stuff.

If I posted my long list, only Family would be missing for the first group. I've never listened to Family; maybe I am going to have to.

Elbow never really grabbed my attention.

Probably not, but then I’m not 16 anymore where everything is fresh and new, maybe for young people those bands do,and the newer bands show their influences which are my influences.
There is also a question a obout emotional attachments to a band or album, even a bands members, when we were young, no internet, you tube itunes, we’d get the bus to get album read the cover on the way home play it over and over, meet friends to talk get tickets go to gigs. We ‘d know the running order lyrics, have stories attached to certain songs and albums they would become part of who we were as people.
Now I’m 58 and enjoying discovering and listening to new music, but no I don’t have that attachment and excitement that I had scouring Sounds and vinyl racks taking a punt on bands based on the cover to discover great new music.

I am now almost exactly a 50 years of being a music fan, so it's a very different game now but old and new I am still discovering music. Nothing has quite the same impact as for instance putting on the headphones on Xmas day and hearing Rush for the first time by playing an import copy of All The World's A Stage and the following it up with One More From The Road. Or seeing black and white film of women dancing on OGWT as Trampled Underfoot plays and going: I had better listen to this Led Zep mob and then buying Physical Graffiti and hearing Kashmir etc. Hearing Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time.

New bands have no hope of doing that but some of them are making great music. Among the new guys, I'd pick Dream Theater, Drive-by-Truckers and Kid Rock (you may laugh at the latter but he is one talented clever boy).

I am now almost exactly a 50 years of being a music fan, so it's a very different game now but old and new I am still discovering music. Nothing has quite the same impact as for instance putting on the headphones on Xmas day and hearing Rush for the first time by playing an import copy of All The World's A Stage and the following it up with One More From The Road. Or seeing black and white film of women dancing on OGWT as Trampled Underfoot plays and going: I had better listen to this Led Zep mob and then buying Physical Graffiti and hearing Kashmir etc. Hearing Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time.

New bands have no hope of doing that but some of them are making great music. Among the new guys, I'd pick Dream Theater, Drive-by-Truckers and Kid Rock (you may laugh at the latter but he is one talented clever boy).
Forgot Drive by Truckers, some excellent albums, Dream Theater are new to me, but been catching up with them and some great albums. Only heard bits of Kid Rock and like what I’ve heard, but some of his political comments put him in the Nugent Trump camp, which is off putting, but can only judge them on their music really. Although I like Spocks Beard, and Neil Morse in Flying Colours and Transatlantic but get put off listening to his solo stuff because of its very Christian slant. Which is a bit odd as I’m happy to listen to lyrics about wizards and elves ,or aliens and beings from other worlds hello Ronnie James Dio, but not Jesus and god. It always,steered me away from Stryper too who were also otherwise a decent band, still are apparemtly. Hard to explain.

If I posted my long list, only Family would be missing for the first group. I've never listened to Family; maybe I am going to have to.

Elbow never really grabbed my attention.
Give Elbow another chance mate. They have a body of good music and Guy Garvie has a fine voice and writes intelligent lyrics.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.