Classic Rock (Phil Collins lives, run for the hills)

Probably not, but then I’m not 16 anymore where everything is fresh and new, maybe for young people those bands do,and the newer bands show their influences which are my influences.
There is also a question a obout emotional attachments to a band or album, even a bands members, when we were young, no internet, you tube itunes, we’d get the bus to get album read the cover on the way home play it over and over, meet friends to talk get tickets go to gigs. We ‘d know the running order lyrics, have stories attached to certain songs and albums they would become part of who we were as people.
Now I’m 58 and enjoying discovering and listening to new music, but no I don’t have that attachment and excitement that I had scouring Sounds and vinyl racks taking a punt on bands based on the cover to discover great new music.
Nicely put.
There is so much brilliant original stuff from the 60s, 70s that I do return to the music of my youth by choice. Occasionally I find something new that I quite like but to be honest it’s the exception.

That's a good summing up of where my head is at and newer bands do count in my mind as exponents of music that fits the style; they wouldn't if we were looking for an US Classic Rock station playlist but that wasn't the purpose of starting this thread. It's meant to be a broad church and is more about somewhere for like minded individuals to discuss a shared love of music without, hopefully, the dismissive intrusions of NME readers and Elvis Costello fans (look up the David Lee Roth quote). This one is for Sounds readers ;-)

I've got an A-Z (ok no X) of 50 acts that I especially like and count as Classic Rock. I can also produce one of several hundred but wondered if to do that a letter at a time to maybe stimulate debates. Anyway, here's a bunch of my favourites:

ac/dc
aerosmith
angel
beck, jeff
black sabbath
blue oyster cult
boston
bowie, david
cheap trick
cooper, alice
deep purple
drive by truckers
elp
fleetwood mac
genesis
heart
idol, billy
jethro tull
journey
judas priest
kid rock
kiss
led zeppelin
lynyrd skynyrd
mellencamp, john
motley crue
mott the hoople
nugent, ted
osbourne, ozzy
petty, tom & the heartbreakers
pink floyd
queen
rainbow
reo speedwagon
rolling stones
roth, david lee

rush
springsteen, bruce
starcastle
starz
steely dan
styx
supertramp
thin lizzy
ufo
van halen
walsh, joe
who, the
yes
zon
zz top
Nice list there. I only really got into music at age 17 and the stuff I listened to for most of the first few years was Bon Jovi, ZZ Top, Europe, Boston, Journey etc.

However, I quickly got into Heartland/Americana and this is what I mostly listen to these days. I love Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen (my #1 all-time artist) but my #1 undisputed all-time favourite album is by a guy also in your list: John Mellencamp. The Lonesome Jubilee is such a towering combination of songwriting, performance, lyrics, arrangement and overall, choice of instrumentation, that I can't see it ever shifting from that spot.

Probably not, but then I’m not 16 anymore where everything is fresh and new, maybe for young people those bands do,and the newer bands show their influences which are my influences.
There is also a question a obout emotional attachments to a band or album, even a bands members, when we were young, no internet, you tube itunes, we’d get the bus to get album read the cover on the way home play it over and over, meet friends to talk get tickets go to gigs. We ‘d know the running order lyrics, have stories attached to certain songs and albums they would become part of who we were as people.
Now I’m 58 and enjoying discovering and listening to new music, but no I don’t have that attachment and excitement that I had scouring Sounds and vinyl racks taking a punt on bands based on the cover to discover great new music.
That’s me to a tee.

Nice list there. I only really got into music at age 17 and the stuff I listened to for most of the first few years was Bon Jovi, ZZ Top, Europe, Boston, Journey etc.

However, I quickly got into Heartland/Americana and this is what I mostly listen to these days. I love Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen (my #1 all-time artist) but my #1 undisputed all-time favourite album is by a guy also in your list: John Mellencamp. The Lonesome Jubilee is such a towering combination of songwriting, performance, lyrics, arrangement and overall, choice of instrumentation, that I can't see it ever shifting from that spot.
Gotta be one of my top albums too,big fan of John Mellencamp one part of my holy trinity of Bruce Springsteen and Steve Earle

Hi mate Yes I was aware but to me Yes aren't Yes anymore sadly.
Tribute band.
In name they are but I can only agree with you.
When they drafted in Benoit David and Oliver Wakeman I was still on board. I did not like the way they were ousted at all.
Oliver recently released four tracks from the sessions prior to Fly from here and “To the Moment” was good.
The name should have been retired after Squires passing. I will still buy the new album but as you say they do feel like a band doing an impersonation of Yes.

I really like Bruce. I actually like his Americana stuff better than some of his louder stuff. Far prefer The Ghost of Tom Joab and Nebraska to Born in the USA. I haven’t listened to much of John Mellencamp but will certainly try the album you mention. Thanks for the recommendation.

I am now almost exactly a 50 years of being a music fan, so it's a very different game now but old and new I am still discovering music. Nothing has quite the same impact as for instance putting on the headphones on Xmas day and hearing Rush for the first time by playing an import copy of All The World's A Stage and the following it up with One More From The Road. Or seeing black and white film of women dancing on OGWT as Trampled Underfoot plays and going: I had better listen to this Led Zep mob and then buying Physical Graffiti and hearing Kashmir etc. Hearing Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time.

New bands have no hope of doing that but some of them are making great music. Among the new guys, I'd pick Dream Theater, Drive-by-Truckers and Kid Rock (you may laugh at the latter but he is one talented clever boy).
I am now almost exactly a 50 years of being a music fan, so it's a very different game now but old and new I am still discovering music. Nothing has quite the same impact as for instance putting on the headphones on Xmas day and hearing Rush for the first time by playing an import copy of All The World's A Stage and the following it up with One More From The Road. Or seeing black and white film of women dancing on OGWT as Trampled Underfoot plays and going: I had better listen to this Led Zep mob and then buying Physical Graffiti and hearing Kashmir etc. Hearing Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time.

New bands have no hope of doing that but some of them are making great music. Among the new guys, I'd pick Dream Theater, Drive-by-Truckers and Kid Rock (you may laugh at the latter but he is one talented clever boy).
I’ve seen Drive by Truckers several times, Kid Rock has been in the crowd for several of the shows (he lives up the road). You might like Tedeschi Trucks too, similar vein of music

I really like Bruce. I actually like his Americana stuff better than some of his louder stuff. Far prefer The Ghost of Tom Joab and Nebraska to Born in the USA. I haven’t listened to much of John Mellencamp but will certainly try the album you mention. Thanks for the recommendation.
It's a pleasure to recommend The Lonesome Jubilee to anybody. Enjoy.

I like the Bruce albums you mention, but despite my love of all things acoustic, my favourite albums of his are Darkness on the Edge of Town and Born In The USA.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.