Clichy

Excellent defender, pace is a huge asset as is his ability to receive the ball under severe pressure in tight spaces. Hoping for a big season from him now that we've got someone in to manage the team

Excellent defender, pace is a huge asset as is his ability to receive the ball under severe pressure in tight spaces. Hoping for a big season from him now that we've got someone in to manage the team

A defender that can actually defend! Something of a rare breed these days, like you say hoping for a big season from him but he did well last season and will hopefully adapt to Pep's style of play.

i wouldn't. We all had this hope Angelino would break through last season but we've seen almost every time he plays he's severely lacking defensively. This became clearer still during his loan spell at NYCFC. He'd get absolutely torn part against a decent right winger in the premier league. Angelino has always looked like a winger playing at fullback, he needs to learn the defensive side of the game quickly otherwise he's going to end up back as a winger in the lower tiers instead of potentially a top class fullback. As much as people love to hate Kolarov, suggesting Angelino is currently better is absurd. He's simply not.

Every confidence Pep can make Clichy step up a gear though. He's shown the odd glimpses of attacking ability, he has the pace for it it always seemed to be a mental thing with him where he'd have to turn around as soon as he went over the halfway line. Can put in a great cross on occasions and has the intensity in his game Pep loves. He'll do well next season

Angelino was too young to break through last season.

Half the battle of being a good defender is positioning so I don't put too much stock in being managed by Kreis at NYC.

I'd rather take a chance with Angelino, provided it doesn't become clear in preseason that he's not ready, as Clichy's understudy than keep Kolarov

No, I'd say Fernandinho was our most consistent player all season but Fernando came on leaps and bounds after the new year. I know you disagree but, yes, I think he's been our best player over the last six months.

I'd agree with that. many on here don't rate nando, but he showed signs towards the latter end of last season why we brought him to the club. Hoping for a great season for the lad

I'd agree with that. many on here don't rate nando, but he showed signs towards the latter end of last season why we brought him to the club. Hoping for a great season for the lad

Fernandinho and Fernando were excellent as a partenership for the last half of last season and I'd say one of the most important factors of our Champions League success. In two legs across PSG They got a goal, two assists and a key pass leading to a goal between them, being directly involved in all three of City's goals.
Basically what I'm saying is, I also rate nando.

Back to topic, if Kolarov leaves and our options at Left Back are Clichy and Angelino, I'm more than happy with that.

i've always been a Clichy fan, seems like a solid professional and a generally reliable footballer but i must admit last season he became a little too average, crosses were generally poor, defending was a bit suspect on occasion etc.

I think a lot of players may have tailed off in the uncertainty of last season and i'm very keen to see which ones come back into form under the new management and training. I think Clichy could be one of them and I hope Angelino is promoted to understudy to apply fresh pressure (Kolarov, imo, is gone).

I concur with others who say LB has perhaps been left a bit too long but i dont really see us purchasing for LB this summer so we should work with what we've got.

i've always been a Clichy fan, seems like a solid professional and a generally reliable footballer but i must admit last season he became a little too average, crosses were generally poor, defending was a bit suspect on occasion etc.

Strange. Personelly I thought he was one of our stand out performers the second part of the season. Before that, he was mostly injured. Yes, when he does make a defensive fuck-up it's quite a spectacular one, not like Kolarov who is just off all the time. :) But in general, he was more than solid these past few months and as others, with me included, already said, he pretty much suits Pep's style, the same applies to Angelino, of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.