Clichy's French snub.

Evra had very good season after 2 crap ones so it's not really that Clichy is definitely better and deserves the place.

It's a close call but I guess they find him more experienced and useful in attacking part. I'd probably pick Evra too if I had to do it like Deschamps does. Clichy is bit overrated by City fans - you're not world class full back these days if you don't have both defensive and attacking parts balanced, Clichy's crossing is not close to be class let alone world class.

Vienna_70 said:
mat said:
Is this still fallout from the Euro's?

After the part Evra played in the players' revolt, he should never have played for France again

He was the captain, and as such, was the manager's representative on the pitch.

Apart from this, I have always believed in ditching the old guard after a World Cup finals and concentrating on the next one, and those who will still be around in four years' time.

That is why, after the last World Cup, England should have ditched, among others, the racist chav and camel-gob.

The same applies to France and Evra, IMHO.

Agree.

At least they had the balls to do it.

ZZmaestro said:
To make it simple : Gael is better at defense, Evra is better at attacking.
Apples and oranges ....
Although primarily you pick the one who defends the better at full back, and Evra is far from his best now in defense.

BlueTG said:
ZZmaestro said:
Apples and oranges ....
Although primarily you pick the one who defends the better at full back, and Evra is far from his best now in defense.

Yes, Gael reached a level in defense that Evra won't touch anymore, he is past his prime phisically, but he is not THAT terrible, like people want to make him look, he is averrage at least.

But you can't deny Evra being a so much better attacking option than Gael.
And when you know that defense isn't France's problem, but rather their lack of chances created in front of goals, you'll understand why they want to pick attacking-profile full backs instead of solid defensive ones ...

BlueTG said:
ZZmaestro said:
Apples and oranges ....

I'd say primarily you pick the one who fits the system better assuming the options are both consistently reliable. We would use Kolarov more often if he were a reliable performer. We can count on Clichy for a sturdy display and he uses the ball well, which cannot be said of Kolarov, who is capable of spectacular moments but is inconsistent. Would we not use Jordi Alba more often than Clichy if we had him? Alba is a reliable performer even if his defending is not great. A lot depends on the system I think.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.