Climbing Mount Everest

I don’t know whether you’ve had the chance to see Free Solo, which is a doco on climbing without any support. It’s just you and the mountain. No ropes etc.

A good part of the doco is the climbers relationship with his partner, and how she copes with his obsession. It’s well worth watching.
Thanks Jolly, will check it out.

Too many people are climbing it now, it's not a challenge any more. I'd actually give out more permits, make the bastards wait even longer to get to the top.

It’s real last I heard it was £40k to go up you don’t carry anything just yourself and oxygen everything is done got you, there is one path up and down and a small window to do it so everyone goes st the same time causing bottlenecks
Climbing season is short, and summit windows are usually 5 days or less. A summit window is a period of calm or low wind conditions where it is safe to climb. There may only be a handful of summit windows in a climbing season, so people try and get it done as early in the season as possible, with many teams looking at around 10th May as their first push.

The problem is that commercial enterprises have realised that they can make large sums of money taking people on expeditions, and they don't even have to guarantee a successful summit attempt. I just wish the authorities would stop issuing so many permits. I think the solution would be to severely limit the number of permits and make it a sealed bidding process so they can limit the opportunity for corruption.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.