Clubbing in Manchester, early 80's

tommyhair

Who went to any of these back in the day ? Pips, Placemates, Devilles, Exit, Legends, just to name a few. Loved Pips and Devilles especially

I went to Placemates and Pips ......

i thought i looked smart at the time , but lookin' back now i must have looked like a right c#nt ....

seems like a lifetime ago now.

Yep went to most of those. Pips on cathedral street was amazing. A Different room for each genre Think there was at least 8 rooms on the go, you could walk through on the night. Soul rooms,Playing Tamla. Rock and roll rooms with Buddy holly playing,Pop room with Abba and Boney M and the like. but my fave was The Roxy room, with Bowie, Lou Reed,Iggy pop etc,which eventually morphed into the punk genre,playing the likes of The Clash and Sex Pistols, which was pretty unique in its day.I Remember Rotters,which was pretty trendy at the time.Jillys as well for Rock music.

jamiegrimble said:
Yep went to most of those. Pips on cathedral street was amazing. A Different room for each genre Think there was at least 8 rooms on the go, you could walk through on the night. Soul rooms,Playing Tamla. Rock and roll rooms with Buddy holly playing,Pop room with Abba and Boney M and the like. but my fave was The Roxy room, with Bowie, Lou Reed,Iggy pop etc,which eventually morphed into the punk genre,playing the likes of The Clash and Sex Pistols, which was pretty unique in its day.I Remember Rotters,which was pretty trendy at the time.Jillys as well for Rock music.
The Roxy room, got my first real taste of flange in there, well bit later, contact was made in roxy, got the taste in a doorway at lewis. She was from irlam, I can still feel those moist tights, soaking wet haha.

Burlitzed said:
jamiegrimble said:
The Roxy room, got my first real taste of flange in there, well bit later, contact was made in roxy, got the taste in a doorway at lewis. She was from irlam, I can still feel those moist tights, soaking wet haha.
C'mon lads and lassies anyone remember the Ritz?

Was never really a `clubby`type person, but I did like Placemate 7 out of any of them, used to end up at the Tropicana quite often aswell though, which was strange considering I really didn`t like the place.

did most of those mentioned plus foo foos, the continental and one next to jillys but i can't remember its name. and probably a few that have slipped my mind.
yes it does seem a lifetime ago.

Being into Rock/Indie, didn't go to 'trendies' clubs too often, was more Phoenix, Swinging Sporran, Henrys/Banshee, Conti, Jillys and the like.

Did Pips now and then in Punk days , and later had workmates that would drag me to likes of Brahms and Liszt, Tropicana, and Rotters (via bars like Horts, (original) Brannigans and suchlike, where for a strange reason, having long blonde hair with me suit and tie, as opposed to all the wedges and trendy cuts got me more women than the rock clubs...?? Go figure...

Gaudino said:
Being into Rock/Indie, didn't go to 'trendies' clubs too often, was more Phoenix, Swinging Sporran, Henrys/Banshee, Conti, Jillys and the like.

Did Pips now and then in Punk days , and later had workmates that would drag me to likes of Brahms and Liszt, Tropicana, and Rotters (via bars like Horts, (original) Brannigans and suchlike, where for a strange reason, having long blonde hair with me suit and tie, as opposed to all the wedges and trendy cuts got me more women than the rock clubs...?? Go figure...

'Horts' rings a bell in the back of my head. Where was it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.