Clubs merging

Dagenham & Redbridge are a Club who merged a fair few times. They're now established in the League.

Gary James said:
Cityfan said:
BlueMo' said:
Is there a reason you ommitted us and the scum from this merging question?
Or are we supposedly above such notions?

As reply above, us and scum are strong enough on our own, we don't really need to merge.

Of course it's not always been like that. It is a very sad fact that in the early to mid 60s (before Mercer) a City director held meetings with Utd suggesting the 2 clubs should first ground share (at OT) then merge because "Manchester isn't big enough for 2 sides"!

Don't believe me... read the material I included in Farewell To Maine Road and Manchester A Football History.

13-amp-plug.jpg

Never miss a chance do you lol? :-)

Incidentally I have read the book and it is very good - lots of stuff i didnt know

cantona01 said:
Gary James said:
Cityfan said:
As reply above, us and scum are strong enough on our own, we don't really need to merge.

Of course it's not always been like that. It is a very sad fact that in the early to mid 60s (before Mercer) a City director held meetings with Utd suggesting the 2 clubs should first ground share (at OT) then merge because "Manchester isn't big enough for 2 sides"!

Don't believe me... read the material I included in Farewell To Maine Road and Manchester A Football History.

13-amp-plug.jpg

Never miss a chance do you lol? :-)

Incidentally I have read the book and it is very good - lots of stuff i didnt know
ha brillliant when i read garys post on previous page i knew soon as i clicked on page 2 there'd be a picture of a plug

cantona01 said:
Well I have been actively researching City (and Utd, Cantona01) for over 20 years, so I'd hope there's stuff that is news to readers.

As one of the 2 books has been out of print for over 8 years I'd hardly say it was a plug (and I did say 'don't believe me..' if you do believe me then you won't need to look at the evidence). I regularly suggest people get the books out of a library. I'd encourage any Manchester football fan to read about their club however they can.

Anyone remember Robert Maxwell wanting to merge Reading and Oxford, calling them ''Thames Valley Royals''

I'm surprised lower league clubs havent merged or ground shared, like never understood Northwich and Witton Albion both moving from the centre of Northwich to the village of Wincham and building grounds next to each other..... financially it has practically killed both clubs.

Ashton United and Curzon Ashton too, that town aint big enough for the both of them!

If England had won the world cup bid and Bristol was chosen then I think they were going to build one stadium for both clubs, or was it just City?

There was the proposed Fulham & QPR merger in the 80s. They were going to become Fulham Park Rangers and QPR fans ended up having a protest at half time in the QPR-City game that season.

A couple of us travelled down on National Express (special offer that worked out cheaper than the Supporters Club bizarrely) and had to prebook the coach back.

The delay whilst they dragged the QPR fans off the plastic pitch meant the 2nd half was late starting... Normally I'm supportive of fans making their feelings known, but that day I just wanted them to get off the pitch. In the end we only just managed to get to Victoria in time to get the coach home.

Edit: Game was on 28/2/87 and we lost 1-0!

BlueMo' said:
Would you have been in favour of us merging before 2008
when we were on our arse?

Never thought about it at the time and it is of little relevance now. The thing is that at the moment when Liverpool and Everton and other similar clubs are on an approximately equal footing, now would be the time for merger without rancour. They could potentially become quite a big club.

Cityfan said:
BlueMo' said:
Would you have been in favour of us merging before 2008
when we were on our arse?

Never thought about it at the time and it is of little relevance now. The thing is that at the moment when Liverpool and Everton and other similar clubs are on an approximately equal footing, now would be the time for merger without rancour. They could potentially become quite a big club.

Everpool FC?

in a couple of years i can see rags and red dippers merging to fight City power

unipool

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.