Clubs who have huge potential for a rich backer?

Buying a club that hasn't ever won the english topflight might be doable(West Ham are the biggest club not to do it in my opinion) but would a wealthy owner really want to overcome the stigma of a club without any major honours before a takeover?

City were historically a top 10 club in every regard from trophies to fanbase size and even City have had to battle with that. So I don't think so, which would rule out:

Crystal Palace
Fulham,
Brighton,
Brentford,
Watford.

The first two in that list were quite surprising to learn. Both clubs are older than most of the big 6(Palace 1861, Fulham 1879). Palace with some of the backing they've had and time in the topflight, you'd have expected an FA Cup or League Cup but no. Fulham were the first choice of tenant for the stadium owner who eventually founded Chelsea instead, after they turned down his offer.

Last edited:
Has to Birmingham
A very big city with a huge catchment area of close to 3m in the West Midlands
It also has an international airport and excellent transport links to the rest of the country
Yep. That's the one I would go for. Buy it dirt cheap (relatively).
Got the name of the actual conurbation in the club name.
Got a big potential for new fans.
Got an ex euro winner as City opposition.
Buy Bellingham back as my 1st signing.
I even like the badge design.
Shame about the accent round there, but, hey-ho!

I'm not sure what the best choice is.

Is a one club city a good thing or is having a big local rival a bigger selling point?

I think it's the latter personally(sorry Leeds), the derbies as much as rags and scousers play them down, got huge focus on them in the early days of the takeover. One of them held the top spot for the most watched game in PL history for about 8 years or more.

Everton does seem like a good shout. They have a massive local rival just as City did, they have the history, fanbase and a new stadium too.

Sunderland are a lot further away from the pack than they used to be, they aren't in the same city as Newcastle and Newcastle are still on the journey to establish themselves as one of the current big clubs. However, they do have a local enough rivalry there, decent history and a big catchment.

I think Spurs might be too well established in the Big6 right now(deemed too expensive).

I'm not sure if there is room for 4 big London clubs or not. Maybe it doesn't matter so much, if not then West Ham would be worth looking at too IMO.

Last edited:
Yep. That's the one I would go for. Buy it dirt cheap (relatively).
Got the name of the actual conurbation in the club name.
Got a big potential for new fans.
Got an ex euro winner as City opposition.
Buy Bellingham back as my 1st signing.
I even like the badge design.
Shame about the accent round there, but, hey-ho!
Garry Cook there so it could happen.

Personally, I would buy Valencia, which has a good fanbase, history and a reasonably big city. A third of the price of any first division club in England, and with like only 100-150m investment you get at the very least an EL place, and very good chances of CL football.

Personally, I would buy Valencia, which has a good fanbase, history and a reasonably big city. A third of the price of any first division club in England, and with like only 100-150m investment you get at the very least an EL place, and very good chances of CL football.
And a new 80,000 stadium that just needs finishing off ready made for you.

As it currently looks:
IMG_4682.jpeg

What it would look like when finished:
IMG_4683.jpeg

Best club to buy would be somebody like Bolton or Blackpool.. imagine if you were an investor and you put enough money into those Clubs and built them up to win the Premier League or Champions League. You would be forever untouchable to the people of those places, you would have a blank canvas to work with and no pressure. You mention Jack Walkers name in Blackburn or Ryan Reynolds in Wrexham and you will see how revered they are.
Catchment areas and rivalries are not important because they can all be built up over time. If you invested your money in an already established big Club all you would be doing is adding to an already successful brand, there would be no legacy there.. you would not be held in anymore great esteem than what went before and that’s why a small unfashionable club is ideal.

I’d merge the two Wythenshawe clubs and build them a stadium on Wythenshawe Park.

There is no football club represented in South Manchester anymore. Wythenshawe is, by far, the biggest district in Manchester with over 100,000 inhabitants.

With many people priced out of City and United games, with Wythenshawe and the wider area around the South of the conurbation, Manchester is big enough for another big club and I could get 25,000 going to games given 25 years to build the club.

After a century…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.