Coach from Dukenfield

I lived in Duki for a while in the 70's & 80's and in those days it was quite a pleasant place. I enjoyed my time there. I lived close to The Norman pub, and hanging by the bar was some info about how the place got it's name. It claimed that in Norman times the area was used for hunting with a type of hawk referred to as a 'dukan'. Hence, 'field of the dukan'.

Just a bit if useless information which I thought I'd share :-)

Last edited:
I lived in Duki for a while in the 70's & 80's and in those days it was quite a pleasant place. I enjoyed my time there. I lived close to The Norman pub, and hanging by the bar was some info about how the place got it's name. It claimed that in Norman times the area was used for hunting with a type of hawk referred to as a 'dukan'. Hence, 'field of the dukan'.

i think its changed its name,its the mason arms now, my dad drank with my uncles in there in the early 70's.One of my uncles lived on Vicarage Drive.

My mam and all her side of my family are from Duki , most of them still live there too,most of them are blues too.

My nipper played for the duki tigers from being about 5. Nowt up with Duki.

There were some proper bullshitting fuckwits in Norman then :-) Dukinfield got its name from the leading family De Dokenfield, although legend has it there was a major battle between the Saxons and the Vikings in which the Vikings got a proper good hiding and their battle standard was captured which was a raven which was called a doken in the language of the time.

Strange because I was in the same pub and I asked the landlord the same question. He said it was simple, across the road was a field and there was a duck in it.

Seems pretty obvious really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.