Cole Palmer

I really like him as well. He’s a special talent but I just hate how this thread is regurgitated by the same people claiming how much of a mistake we made etc every time he plays well.
Wish we could move on and praise him accordingly without it always coming back to City fucking up.
I wish him well and will enjoy watching him develop.
It’s the fact that so many blues use Palmer’s sale as a stick to beat Pep and Txiki with that annoys me, using overly simplistic (to put it nicely) analysis and reasoning to make out that he would be producing in the same way with us as he is at Chelsea if we had only had the foresight, intelligence, and resolve to keep him (likely by guaranteeing playing time, which we only do for the very top players that are beyond merely “potential” stars), and claiming our overall performances would improve with him in the side over other players.

None of which evidence (or simply critical thinking) supports. But the argument still gets made, and the vitriol gets lobbed at our management, ad infinitum, no matter how many of us point out the faulty premises and incoherence inherit to them.

Now I know we would all crawl over broken glass to play for City. From palmers point of view leavingvwas definitely the best decision for him and his career. He got a huge raise and the security of a long term contract. He also got the chance to play regularly. He had a great first season. He would have never scored as many goals with City since he wouldn’t be on the pitch. In essence he bet on himself and it paid off. I like it when athletes do that.

Don’t know how long he had left on his contract but from City’s point of view it was good business. How many of our unproven youth have we sold and made a nice chunk of change? It’s probably over 100 million or more. That’s not chump change.
And he is a rag from a family of rags

He's such a good player ..... Pep probably should have moved heaven on earth to keep him at City ... by not giving him more gametime it opened the door for people, outside of City, to get into Palmers ear and thoughts ..... but it's too late now, he's a Chelsea player and we have to move on.
Pep doesn’t do that for any player. If they want to leave, they find a deal acceptable to the club and leave. Whoever they are.

We cannot rewrite history but one would like to think we learn from it. The summer of 2023 was a comparatively busy one, with Kovacic, Gvardiol, and Doku arriving to fill gaps. However, it also saw us allow Phillips to remain, add Nunes, and allow Palmer and McAtee to leave. I felt at the time that it left us short of dependable bodies, which probably fed into us running out of steam towards the end of the season. Maybe there was just too much business, I don’t know. If summer 2025 is to be another of flux, then I hope those in charge can just pause to reflect on the summer of 2023 and consider what went right, what went wrong, and why.

Ideally I'd like a team full of academy players but that will never happen. Our academy went several years without producing any real talent and all of a sudden we had several top prospects coming through at once. Of all the players we've sold only Palmer is really smashing it and several others are doing well. Nice to see Delap doing well at Ipswich.

I recently read we've made 500M selling academy players which is staggering when you consider several players never even played in the first team.

I don't think it was a mistake selling Palmer because we very good money for him, and had he not hit the ground running at Chelsea he'd be well down the pecking order now. Cole left us and took a big chance joining Chelsea and he obviously believed in himself but I think he's surprised everyone on how well he's done and is doing. Just a shame it's not for us but I wish him well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.