Cole Palmer

I've not seen anything of Doku bar youtube clips.

He's now the new shiny toy,it seems.
He may be an instant hit,he may not too.

Palmer needs a run of matches,he's shown in flashes, he has enough talent.
He might have to go elsewhere to prove it, unfortunately.

If Doku has a sticky start to his new career here,like Jack had, there will be some writing him off.
Jack was biggest English transfer

Can’t see Doku having the same pressure Jack did

Hopefully Palmer stays

We need some decent players and both Doku and Palmer look more than decent but won’t compare them and especially not to Jack

Jack was biggest English transfer

Can’t see Doku having the same pressure Jack did

Hopefully Palmer stays

We need some decent players and both Doku and Palmer look more than decent but won’t compare them and especially not to Jack

I'm not really comparing them as players because I've seen nothing but clips of Doku.

What we do know is that sometimes, players take time to settle in,or find their feet in a leading team with all the pressure that entails.
That applies to all 3 of them,in my opinion.

I'm not really comparing them as players because I've seen nothing but clips of Doku.

What we do know is that sometimes, players take time to settle in,or find their feet in a leading team with all the pressure that entails.
That applies to all 3 of them,in my opinion.
I agree

But I also feel majority of us blues give players time to adapt

I can’t think of any player we have “offloaded“ who then went on to great things. One or two (tops) went of their own volition and did ok. Whichever way the cards fall with Palmer, the money we make from the Academy selling players who aren’t quite good enough has funded a lot of our transfer activity. I certainly haven’t lost faith in it. If you mean there should be a better return of players making it into out first team then you have a much better case. Foden, then Rico Lewis from what seems like nowhere. Not much else. I’m sceptical that McAtee will make it.

That's a searing indictment of the academy, and I agree completely.
Yes, it pays for itself in low level transfers, but other than Foden and to a lesser extent, Lewis and Palmer, there's not been a lot of'high end' product.
You're not the only one who doesn't think McAtee will make it at City. He won't get the chance.

That's a searing indictment of the academy, and I agree completely.
Yes, it pays for itself in low level transfers, but other than Foden and to a lesser extent, Lewis and Palmer, there's not been a lot of'high end' product.
You're not the only one who doesn't think McAtee will make it at City. He won't get the chance.
The Academy is producing a number of very good players but very few “exceptional “ ones. The very good ones are basically a useful revenue stream (£10/15m per player transfer fees and a percentage of sell-on fees are not to be sneezed at) but what we need are players of the quality of KDB, Sergio, Merlin, Yaya etc., and with the exception of Foden (and maybe Lewis) we are just not seeing it yet.

Are we not picking up on the exceptional young talent in our scouting system ?

The Academy is producing a number of very good players but very few “exceptional “ ones. The very good ones are basically a useful revenue stream (£10/15m per player transfer fees and a percentage of sell-on fees are not to be sneezed at) but what we need are players of the quality of KDB, Sergio, Merlin, Yaya etc., and with the exception of Foden (and maybe Lewis) we are just not seeing it yet.

Are we not picking up on the exceptional young talent in our scouting system ?
We are picking up exceptional talent, the problem is the level we are at now means that being exceptional at 15 / 16 doesn't always translate to exceptional at 19 / 20. We have sold plenty of exceptional youth players in the last few years but how many of them are now classed as exceptional players. Lavia for example will have brought in close to £20m and played nearly 30 times for Southampton last season. He was good enough at that level to play for them but he wouldn't have started more than six games for us. It's in everyone's interest therefore to move these players on if they aren't going to cut it at City. Tosin has had a good career so far but at the age of 25 has only played around 60 PL games, the rest in the championship. Foden and Lewis are currently the exception and I think Palmer will also be.

Hey, I don't blame him for one second, he has to look after himself, he needs to be playing regularly, and sadly I can't see it with us.

One price of success is that we have fallen firmly into the category of 'buying success'.
We're becoming the very things that opposition fans have accused us of being since the takeover.

It's a shame. Having watched dozens of young players break through at City for 50 years or so, the last 15 years have seen next to none.

One price of success is that we have fallen firmly into the category of 'buying success'.
We're becoming the very things that opposition fans have accused us of being since the takeover.

It's a shame. Having watched dozens of young players break through at City for 50 years or so, the last 15 years have seen next to none.
Such as? We’ve got a good crop coming through at the moment & it was easier to get into the City team in those days.

Other than.. Foden, Lewis, Palmer, Richards, Onuoha, Hart, Wright-Philips, Johnson (ok, maybe slightly longer than 15 years on the last 2), not to mention the likes of Sturidge, Trippier, Aderabioyo - yeah, barely any. Fact remains, you have to be the best of the best to make it at City these days. That said, I’d like to see Palmer get given a proper go for a year to see if he can kick on and become a top player.

A £55m gamble on a raw lad who needs experience or a raw lad who cost nowt, knows the City/Pep system, and just needs more experience.

I've no idea which has more potential as a player, but I certainly know which has more potential to be an expensive mistake.

If Palmer is offloaded, I'll lose all faith in our academy system.
Doku is better than palmer and has a higher ceiling

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.