Cole Palmer

We couldn't get a work permit & cant remember if this was before or after signing Rodri, thought it was before
Yes, the work permit rules were different back then and the wages offered were taken into account but in relation to the clubs structure. He wouldn't have been high enough up the totem pole to qualify here, but at Villa he was in the higher earnings bracket and so sailed through. Just one of those things and certainly not a stick to beat the club with.

We could not beforehand and Villa signed him in the summer of 2019, subject to obtaining one, which they did, with Rodri signing for us that same summer; we also had Fernandinho on the books at the time. Notwithstanding, it was evident that he would develop into a top player, was eminently suitable to our style of play, and we knew Fernandinho’s powers were waning.
I don't think too many will argue who got the better deal!

Player-looks-better-in-a-team-that's-worse-than-the-one-he-left shocker.

Brilliant player, lovely to watch but what he did for us didn't warrant a starting space. Look at what Doku has done with the same type of minutes - essentially forced himself into being a starter.

An example being Tuesday. Doku had 10 minutes on the pitch to make his mark - he had 6 successful dribbles and was a threat every time he got it. Palmer had a few of those opportunities and never put a stamp on the game.

He's great. There'll be plenty of pundits and neutrals who will think we dropped a bollock but not IMO we didn't. Not when you think we wouldn't have Doku had he stayed. I know which one I'd rather have...
Not disagreeing but he scored in the in the community shield at Wembley and the super cup final what more could he do

Agreed. But our hands were tied with the work permit issue. It's a pity, as it would have been interesting to see how he'd have shaped up under Pep.
Entire process stank. The fact that the authorities were unconvinced that he would go on to make a substantial contribution for club and country rather makes a mockery of the nomenclature ‘authorities’. Villa only succeeded on appeal, too.

Cole is as good as he’s going to get, I would imagine. But hey, the world needs more James Maddison clones

I don’t think we’ve necessarily dropped a clanger, the money we got for a player on the periphery of the squad was incredible and Doku coming in looks a great piece of business. However, if he does go on to be a top player for Chelsea and possibly England there will always be a part of me wishing he was doing it whilst at City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.