Cole Palmer

My husband is a Spurs fan so we don’t normally watch games together - but we watched this afternoon (Americans). I hadn’t talked to him about Palmer previously but I discussed how he was much beloved by many folks here. It was funny to hear a “neutral” perspective. He thinks Palmer has as many average games as big goal scoring games and doesn’t get the hype. He is surprised he is so beloved by City fans because he doesn’t think he’d work in a Pep system, or based on what he’s seen, that he’s smart enough for the much more disciplined role he would need to play here. Basically, Palmer is flourishing because Chelsea is chaos and he’s stepped up to fill a void. It made me curious to find out what other non City or Chelsea fans think…like are we too close to it to really be impartial?

I think it’s partly a by-product of having a world class academy. There will be times when we produce outstanding talents who end up leaving the club and going on to do well elsewhere. Can be for a multitude of reasons (impatience, agents, no clear pathway to first team, not the right fit for the manager etc). We can’t keep them all, but I’d certainly rather be producing them than not.
Exactly. I mean, say Palmer stayed and did well enough to become a permanent fixture. Then maybe it's Bobb that decides to move on, and suddenly we have this exact same thread but for him instead

Palmer was shunted on the right wing every time last season

Yeah, he presented himself as a right-winger for two decades. If he didn't work out that he was actually a CAM until now, it sounds like his fault, not ours.

Yeah, he presented himself as a right-winger for two decades. If he didn't work out that he was actually a CAM until now, it sounds like his fault, not ours.
he wasn’t going to get time agains de Bruyne, Alvarez, Foden, or Silva, and didn’t get time previously against Gundo in that position. He would have to move to Chelsea to play CAM. So good on him. he's still not going to play over Phil, ever.

My husband is a Spurs fan so we don’t normally watch games together - but we watched this afternoon (Americans). I hadn’t talked to him about Palmer previously but I discussed how he was much beloved by many folks here. It was funny to hear a “neutral” perspective. He thinks Palmer has as many average games as big goal scoring games and doesn’t get the hype. He is surprised he is so beloved by City fans because he doesn’t think he’d work in a Pep system, or based on what he’s seen, that he’s smart enough for the much more disciplined role he would need to play here. Basically, Palmer is flourishing because Chelsea is chaos and he’s stepped up to fill a void. It made me curious to find out what other non City or Chelsea fans think…like are we too close to it to really be impartial?
As someone who watched Palmer a lot in the academy teams I think he absolutely could have played in a Pep team and that his accurate shooting would have been a great weapon against packed defences. That has always been a big part of his game.

I was very disappointed in his failure to push on last season although injuries played a part. He started this season at City well but I guess the move to sign Doku was in motion so he was probably concerned about game time.

I understand why the club let him go and am surprised that he has done so well so quickly but his talent was never in doubt for me. In our strongest 11 we only really have Haaland and Foden who score a lot of goals. Having a third player who could get double figures would have been a big bonus.

Anyway he has gone now but the good thing is that we have a few academy graduates who look like they can make the grade in the first team which is brilliant progress.

A huge mistake in hindsight as if he would have stayed on our bench this season the FFP dodging Chav rats would be in a relegation dogfight

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.