Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

Rodney Marsh just called him the most under-appreciated footballer ever. Quite the tribute.
Not under appreciated by us.

True, the Football Writers never made him footballer of the year....

I met him only once - on the train to London for the 69 cup final but (I can't be sure) I think he was holding the cup when I touched it before the next city game, a pre-season friendly at Caernarfon against a Welsh 11.

I can never quite admit that we might have had better players since.

I think the best way to describe him was that he made everything look so easy and natural.....running, sprinting, heading , tackling, passing and most importantly finishing......cutting in from the right he very rarely failed to hit the target
The complete footballer......a De Bruyne with more pace and a better finisher.
RIP King Colin

I don’t think it was a case of sir Joe not rating Nijinsky.

It was more that he backed Big Mal's judgement on players. They really were a team of two equal halves.

Although in the Lee, Bell, Summerbee video, Malcolm said that during one of Colin's first matches for City, Joe asked him, "Why did we pay £45 000 for him? He terrible?"
I remember the story that Malcolm went to watch him at Bury and was putting off rival managers by saying loudly how terrible Bell was.

Last edited:
I was born and raised in Bath and football daft, my uncle, who married a Manchester girl and lived in the area for a while used to tell us about this footballer he used to live near. He talked not only about him being a great player but also about what a kind and unassuming man he was. And so Colin Bell, Nijinsky, The King, came into my life. As luck would have it in May 1969 his team came to my city to play a testimonial. MCFC had just won the FA cup and so my Birthday treat was a trip to see the FA Cup, former Bath player Tony Book, former Bath Manager Malcolm Allison and of course the man my Aunt and Uncle always spoke so highly of. The match was a 5-5 draw. Youngsters were allowed onto the pitch at half and full time and I repeatedly kicked the ball I’d brought with me into the net just like my newly discovered heroes had been doing. To this day I still think this was the best birthday present I ever had and a large part of my life became a tale of two cities. Manchester City FC and Bath City FC. Colin Bell quickly became and remains my all-time hero.

When nearly all my contemporaries were Leeds supporters (later to a man to become Scouse Rag fans) Colin and his performances for England gave this lone loyal City fan some ammunition to fight back with at School. I swapped over 100 football trading cards (virtually all of the non MCFC ones I had) for one 3D picture (issued by the Sun) of King Colin. I remember him being hacked down when bursting from midfield in the infamous World cup qualifier vs Poland in 1973. I remember his performances for England in the Home Internationals (the only live TV footie we had in those day). I remember the joy of his equalising goal Vs Wolves in the 1974 league cup final and the subsequent despair at city losing. I remember balancing lying head first down our stairs to get a view into our open plan lounge to see “Sports Nights” coverage of the 4th round league cup 4-0 rout of the rags, desperately hoping not to be discovered if mum looked round, and trying to surpress my joy as we scored goal after goal and my outrage at Buchan’s challenge. I remember listening to radio coverage of Colin’s return as a half time substitute on Boxing Day, even on the radio it sounded like something extra special was happening. Of course that was the season when city were being followed by the BBC’s “Nationwide” cameras and I remember the moving episode they showed about his brave rehabilitation efforts. As with Paul Lake I feel cheated that City and England were robbed of many years exceptional service from a great great player.

I have Asperger’ and don’t normally feel much emotion or post online. Someone dies (even family) it’s normally yes very sad but Meh. Tonight I’m a blubbering mess.

King Colin you affected my life greatly, I had the honour to meet you once outside Maine Road and you shook my hand. It felt like I’d just met God. Thank you for all the joy you brought so many people, Thank you for providing the world with an NHS hero in these desperate times. Taken way too early you will long be remembered. RIP and THANK YOU.

Never privileged to have seen him play, but have sung about him home and away for decades. I was lucky to meet him a few times in recent years - an absolute gentleman. Such a shame we cant honour him all together at our next home game. Also acknowledging the kind and respectful comments from those that follow the club from Trafford. RIP King.

Have only ever heard stories about him and never had a chance to see anything other than a few clips but he sounds like a genuine legend of football in general, not just City.

I haven't spoke to my mum for a long time. Won't go into details. But she just video messaged me to tell me about Colin Bell.

I knew anyway. But that's not the point. We're on speaking terms again. I'm a blue because of her. She's got some stories she has. Proper old school fan.

She made me a blue. And I love her for it. Told me stories about the older generation.

And here we are. Not spoken for a long time. Back OK again because of City. The only thing that we've ever got on about.

Rip Colin Bell. A bit before my time but through my mum's stories I feel like I know this player more than I would.

I was born and raised in Bath and football daft, my uncle, who married a Manchester girl and lived in the area for a while used to tell us about this footballer he used to live near. He talked not only about him being a great player but also about what a kind and unassuming man he was. And so Colin Bell, Nijinsky, The King, came into my life. As luck would have it in May 1969 his team came to my city to play a testimonial. MCFC had just won the FA cup and so my Birthday treat was a trip to see the FA Cup, former Bath player Tony Book, former Bath Manager Malcolm Allison and of course the man my Aunt and Uncle always spoke so highly of. The match was a 5-5 draw. Youngsters were allowed onto the pitch at half and full time and I repeatedly kicked the ball I’d brought with me into the net just like my newly discovered heroes had been doing. To this day I still think this was the best birthday present I ever had and a large part of my life became a tale of two cities. Manchester City FC and Bath City FC. Colin Bell quickly became and remains my all-time hero.

When nearly all my contemporaries were Leeds supporters (later to a man to become Scouse Rag fans) Colin and his performances for England gave this lone loyal City fan some ammunition to fight back with at School. I swapped over 100 football trading cards (virtually all of the non MCFC ones I had) for one 3D picture (issued by the Sun) of King Colin. I remember him being hacked down when bursting from midfield in the infamous World cup qualifier vs Poland in 1973. I remember his performances for England in the Home Internationals (the only live TV footie we had in those day). I remember the joy of his equalising goal Vs Wolves in the 1974 league cup final and the subsequent despair at city losing. I remember balancing lying head first down our stairs to get a view into our open plan lounge to see “Sports Nights” coverage of the 4th round league cup 4-0 rout of the rags, desperately hoping not to be discovered if mum looked round, and trying to surpress my joy as we scored goal after goal and my outrage at Buchan’s challenge. I remember listening to radio coverage of Colin’s return as a half time substitute on Boxing Day, even on the radio it sounded like something extra special was happening. Of course that was the season when city were being followed by the BBC’s “Nationwide” cameras and I remember the moving episode they showed about his brave rehabilitation efforts. As with Paul Lake I feel cheated that City and England were robbed of many years exceptional service from a great great player.

I have Asperger’ and don’t normally feel much emotion or post online. Someone dies (even family) it’s normally yes very sad but Meh. Tonight I’m a blubbering mess.

King Colin you affected my life greatly, I had the honour to meet you once outside Maine Road and you shook my hand. It felt like I’d just met God. Thank you for all the joy you brought so many people, Thank you for providing the world with an NHS hero in these desperate times. Taken way too early you will long be remembered. RIP and THANK YOU.
Great post, thanks.

Just went up to our lounge from the basement rumpus room where my computer is.
Broke the news about Colin to my wife and she burst into tears.
We named our son after Colin as he was our idols.
What a super player, a really great human being, and a role model for all youngsters at that time.
My hatred of the Rags intensified when Colin was scythed down by Buchan effectively ending his career.
The news is yet another reason for us to despise the month of January - over the years my mum, my wife's mum and our 7-year old grandson have all died in this month.
Colin, rest in peace, you will be missed by millions of football fans. And you will never ever be forgotten.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.