Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

I don't post often but I have to pay a tribute to the King, without doubt the greatest of my era, saw him in his prime as a child and have waxed lyrical endlessly to my lads ever since, never knew my Father and spent hours praying it was him, Could you have asked for more as a footballer and role model, rest in peace you will never be forgotten!

Colin The King was my first footballing hero and his number was always on my City shirts... I consider myself so extremely fortunate to have met my idol on a couple of occasions.

The first time was actually in Sutton Coldfield, where i lived close to some time back, it was in the very early 90's and City youth were playing a local team Boldmere St Michael's in the early rounds of the FA Youth Cup and after having a quick half-tie pint in there club on the ground, i walked out and who was stood there, on the corner on his own, The King himself!! After a minute or so to compose myself, i went and introduced myself to him and told him i was a lifelong City fan (for some reason i found it necessary to show him my season ticket book that i had on me) and that he was my all-time hero for my beloved club. He simply couldn't have been more charming and we chatted about all things City for a good 10-15 minutes and he asked what i was doing all the way down there for a youth team night match and i replied i only lived in Streetly, a few miles away and he said it still showed incredible loyalty to come out (with my City scarf on of course!) to support the young lads...... we said our goodbyes and i honestly thought that was it and would stay with me for the rest of my life.... which is has of course!

Fast forward to sometime in the 2000's and a home game versus Chelsea, i came back from the USA for the game and was in my best friends hospitality box. As he sponsored the match ball we got to walk out before KO and have our picture taken with the players at the KO, which was one of my life's highlights and one that i didnt think would ever get better. Alex Williams came in the box and told me that he would bring the actual match ball to me later, which again was amazing.

When Alex came in after the match, he didn't have the ball and i was somewhat deflated, but he said "oh i have someone bringing you the ball later" i was over the (blue) moon and thought they were just cleaning it up....

A few minutes later, a knock on the door and in walked The King with.....the ball (my ball now!!!) and he presented it to me, needless to say i was now teary eyed and have some wonderful pictures of the moment, which along with the match ball, i will cherish forever!! Once again, Colin stayed in the box for a while and chatted mostly about the club whom he loved and then he left, with one of the most genuine handshakes i have ever had ...... to this day!

The King has now gone but he will never be forgotten, especially by this little boy of now 61 years of age, who has some incredible memories of this true LEGEND !!

RIP King Colin, we loved you more than you will ever know !!!

Colin The King was my first footballing hero and his number was always on my City shirts... I consider myself so extremely fortunate to have met my idol on a couple of occasions.

The first time was actually in Sutton Coldfield, where i lived close to some time back, it was in the very early 90's and City youth were playing a local team Boldmere St Michael's in the early rounds of the FA Youth Cup and after having a quick half-tie pint in there club on the ground, i walked out and who was stood there, on the corner on his own, The King himself!! After a minute or so to compose myself, i went and introduced myself to him and told him i was a lifelong City fan (for some reason i found it necessary to show him my season ticket book that i had on me) and that he was my all-time hero for my beloved club. He simply couldn't have been more charming and we chatted about all things City for a good 10-15 minutes and he asked what i was doing all the way down there for a youth team night match and i replied i only lived in Streetly, a few miles away and he said it still showed incredible loyalty to come out (with my City scarf on of course!) to support the young lads...... we said our goodbyes and i honestly thought that was it and would stay with me for the rest of my life.... which is has of course!

Fast forward to sometime in the 2000's and a home game versus Chelsea, i came back from the USA for the game and was in my best friends hospitality box. As he sponsored the match ball we got to walk out before KO and have our picture taken with the players at the KO, which was one of my life's highlights and one that i didnt think would ever get better. Alex Williams came in the box and told me that he would bring the actual match ball to me later, which again was amazing.

When Alex came in after the match, he didn't have the ball and i was somewhat deflated, but he said "oh i have someone bringing you the ball later" i was over the (blue) moon and thought they were just cleaning it up....

A few minutes later, a knock on the door and in walked The King with.....the ball (my ball now!!!) and he presented it to me, needless to say i was now teary eyed and have some wonderful pictures of the moment, which along with the match ball, i will cherish forever!! Once again, Colin stayed in the box for a while and chatted mostly about the club whom he loved and then he left, with one of the most genuine handshakes i have ever had ...... to this day!

The King has now gone but he will never be forgotten, especially by this little boy of now 61 years of age, who has some incredible memories of this true LEGEND !!

Great post, love the deflated about the ball ⚽️ bit

Some great memories there mate. Indeed, reading most of the posts in the thread it makes you realise what a truly wonderful person he was let alone an amazingly gifted footballer. Sadly there will be few players from any club of the current era that will achieve similar accolades. RIP Colin... say hi to my dad for me

I was born and raised in Bath and football daft, my uncle, who married a Manchester girl and lived in the area for a while used to tell us about this footballer he used to live near. He talked not only about him being a great player but also about what a kind and unassuming man he was. And so Colin Bell, Nijinsky, The King, came into my life. As luck would have it in May 1969 his team came to my city to play a testimonial. MCFC had just won the FA cup and so my Birthday treat was a trip to see the FA Cup, former Bath player Tony Book, former Bath Manager Malcolm Allison and of course the man my Aunt and Uncle always spoke so highly of. The match was a 5-5 draw. Youngsters were allowed onto the pitch at half and full time and I repeatedly kicked the ball I’d brought with me into the net just like my newly discovered heroes had been doing. To this day I still think this was the best birthday present I ever had and a large part of my life became a tale of two cities. Manchester City FC and Bath City FC. Colin Bell quickly became and remains my all-time hero.

When nearly all my contemporaries were Leeds supporters (later to a man to become Scouse Rag fans) Colin and his performances for England gave this lone loyal City fan some ammunition to fight back with at School. I swapped over 100 football trading cards (virtually all of the non MCFC ones I had) for one 3D picture (issued by the Sun) of King Colin. I remember him being hacked down when bursting from midfield in the infamous World cup qualifier vs Poland in 1973. I remember his performances for England in the Home Internationals (the only live TV footie we had in those day). I remember the joy of his equalising goal Vs Wolves in the 1974 league cup final and the subsequent despair at city losing. I remember balancing lying head first down our stairs to get a view into our open plan lounge to see “Sports Nights” coverage of the 4th round league cup 4-0 rout of the rags, desperately hoping not to be discovered if mum looked round, and trying to surpress my joy as we scored goal after goal and my outrage at Buchan’s challenge. I remember listening to radio coverage of Colin’s return as a half time substitute on Boxing Day, even on the radio it sounded like something extra special was happening. Of course that was the season when city were being followed by the BBC’s “Nationwide” cameras and I remember the moving episode they showed about his brave rehabilitation efforts. As with Paul Lake I feel cheated that City and England were robbed of many years exceptional service from a great great player.

I have Asperger’ and don’t normally feel much emotion or post online. Someone dies (even family) it’s normally yes very sad but Meh. Tonight I’m a blubbering mess.

King Colin you affected my life greatly, I had the honour to meet you once outside Maine Road and you shook my hand. It felt like I’d just met God. Thank you for all the joy you brought so many people, Thank you for providing the world with an NHS hero in these desperate times. Taken way too early you will long be remembered. RIP and THANK YOU.
What a wonderful tribute. Thank you for posting.

That’s also great story.

Every time I read another anecdote about Nijinsky, I think they can’t be topped or even equalled, and yet, here we have another brilliant one.

Just met Colin the once (I think)
I was Secretary of the Centenary Supporters Association (CSA) in the early 2000's.
I received a letter from a women (around 2004 / 05) writing to say her neighbour is coming up to his 80th birthday. He was from Manchester but now in North Wales and he once played at Maine Road where his school won the Manchester Schools cup - a real life Jimmy Grimble! Could we do something for his birthday like a signed birthday card from City?

The CSA arranged for him to travel with the Colwyn Bay branch with tickets to the game against Everton (the first game after his 80th) and I got City to agree for him to meet Colin Bell before the game in the reception area as Colin was his favourite player.
The neighbour was delighted and this was all a secret to him. I asked her to find out what school it was he went to......
The reply shocked me! The same school my 2 girls went to! Moston Fields Primary School!!!
I was friendly with the head at the school and he came with me (despite being a red!). The school had no idea they won the cup in the 30' s.

So me and the head meet him in the reception and he can't believe he is meeting the head of his old school - I thought if that made him emotional, wait til he meets Colin!
Then 3 people came in behind him.
I asked him who his favourite player is and he said Colin Bell. I asked what about Mike Summerbee? And he spoke favourably about him - then I said "what about Tommy Booth"? "Yes he was good as well..."
"Well if you'd like to turn around, there are some people who would like to see you.."
He turns around and sees Colin, Mike a d Tommy and is in tears..... And that set me off..... I had to walk away and compose myself..... The MEN were there and took a picture. I didn't join in the picture (very unlike me lol) as it just wasn't about me, but this fan and three heroes of his and the head.
All 3 of them stayed a while and made his day and the neighbour wrote afterwards (when she received copies of the MEN story) and said what a day it was and he couldn't stop talking about the day he met his hero.
Thanks Colin RIP

Wonderful thread and a fitting tribute to The King. I started watching City as a 9 year old in 1972 and so was lucky to see him play, still very much in his prime. Like all masters of their craft, he made the game look easy. He had it all. Engine, speed, balance, strength. He could dribble, tackle, shoot, head....just the complete footballer. I never saw anyone with such grace on a football pitch. Colin made City tick. He was my dad's idol and soon became mine. Sadly 'That injury' cut short his career and I remember how sad I was watching him play with just one good leg. It was clear his time was coming to a close. That said, I will never forget Boxing Day 1977. Unreal atmosphere. That will always remind me of what he meant to this club. To us, the fans.

Rest In Peace Ding Dong. There will never be another King.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.