Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

So sad.
This is the 'wallpaper' picture on my tablet..ive just heard about his passing and turned on my tablet to see his face looking up at me...then i see your post.

Gutted.

For a player ive never seen play ive studied his career and listened to so mamy older Blues and other football fans up and down the country who remember how good a player he was.

The fact that he was captain of Bury Fc as a teenager ,tells you a lot about his calm determined steely character.

My favourite ever city goal is the brilliant full volley at stamford bridge ,early 70s ,which left england international keeper Peter 'the Cat' Bonetti clutching at thin air ,such was the ferocity and technical brilliance of the shot....class.

Over the years ,watching old footage of City ,it seemed as tho he scored in every single u tube video, left foot ,right foot, headers.not to mention the lung bursting runs from midfield to start or finish attacks

48 caps for England..Should have been many more had it not been for......

His performance at Wembley when England trounced Scotland 5-1 in a Home international fixture mid 70s ,when Bell and Gerry francis formed a powerful and skilful midfield partnership ,with Bell scoring a cracking goal only makes you think what could have been if not for injury...prob near 100 caps... a lot more than 48 apps/ 12 goals

Bells performance at The boleyn ground early 70s when City smashed West ham 4nil was outstanding ..he led england captain Bobby moore a merry dance and was absolute class on a quagmire of a pitch.Moore was asked by Ron greenwood to mark Bell.....with disastrous consequences. .

Perhaps the footage which sums up Bell best of all tho...is the old grainy black and white film of Citys title win at St James park Newcastle 1968. Big match,lots of nerves on and off the pitch...Colin Bell,majestic ,class determined...and a winner.

RIP ..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.