Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

My Grandad used to say that Colin Bell was the closest thing he had ever seen to Peter Doherty, which coming from my Grandad was high praise indeed.
Joe Mercer said exactly the same thing. I think I saw the footage possibly during the Lee, Bell, Summerbee legends video. "Bell, he's going to be the best player City have had since Peter Doherty". Doherty must have been some player.

Here are a couple of anecdotes I forgot to include in my earlier tribute:
In one of its issues, Blueprint fanzine came with a poster of the Great Man.

I put it on my bedroom wall, and every time my then toddler nephew came into to see me, I’d point to the poster and say, "That’s Colin Bell".

One day, the boy walked in, and said, "That’s Colin Bell!"

Unfortunately, it didn’t do any good; he’s a bloody Newcastle supporter!

Secondly, I lived in Stoke from 1999 to 2006, first as a student, then while I was working there.

I was lucky enough to find a pub that had among its regulars several proper, old-time Potters' supporters.

On one occasion, when chatting to one of them, I asked him what he thought of Colin Bell.

He replied immediately, without the slightest hesitation, "World class."
One of my mates is a Stoke fan. I remember chatting to his old man about City and he said exactly the same.

I've told this story before but seems a good time to repeat it. In my younger days my mum had a café in the Corn Exchange and Mike Summerbee was a regular customer. In the school holidays I'd go in and make sandwiches at lunchtime and on one of those days Mike wandered in for some lunch after the lunchtime rush had cleared. I sat with him and over lunch I asked him about what made Malcolm Allison such a great coach.

Buzzer replied that as well as being good at training and tactics, he knew what made every single player tick & how to motivate each one individually. He said that Malcolm knew that he (Buzzer) had to be wound up to get him motivated so he'd needle him relentlessly and get under his skin. Neil Young, on the other hand, wasn't a very confident person and needed an arm round his shoulder to reassure him. Of course I asked about my hero. "What does he do to motivate Colin Bell?". I remember Mike laughed and said "He doesn't need to do anything. Colin motivates himself".

And, as a final thought, I hope he isn't relying on Bernard Halford to leave a ticket for him with St. Peter at the Pearly Gates.

The greatest City player I have ever seen.. Bell Buzzer and Lee..what a triumvirate...he signed his book for me.. what a kind unassuming man..God bless his family and thank you for the memories RIP

Blessed and honoured to have watched a genuine LEGEND.

Still have goosebumps from Boxing Day 1977 the moment if you were there that day at the beginning of the aAAbsecond half will stay with you forever, and, I'm sure the Bar Code fans who were also stood up applauding would concur.

That is the respect I have never witnessed before or will ever witness again.

Goodbye Nijinsky.

Never forgotten.
Absolutely mate. Just got shivers down the spine reading that. Definitely one of the best atmospheres I ever witnessed. Fair play to the Geordies too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.