Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

As time goes by and you grow older, gradually the heroes you grew up with pass on. From my first match, Joe Mercer, Malcolm Allison, Harry Dowd, Glyn Pardoe, Arthur Mann, Mike Doyle and Neil Young. Others such as Tommy Caton also taken from us. However, nothing prepares you for when the King goes. I am absolutely in pieces here and no doubt so are many of my generation. It is so difficult to put into words how such an event can affect someone you feel such affection, respect and adulation for. My thoughts go out to his wife Marie and all his family. To Colin, my first hero, RIP.

Walked back with The Old Man (who was always banging on about Peter Doherty to me) down Lloyd Street after we drew at home to Bury when Harry Dowd equd to get us a point (Harry broke his finger and Matt Gray went in goal). The Old Man said at one point ‘That lad who scored for them looks a good ‘un..’

Little did we know that one year later..
RIP another footballing great taken too soon
That England midfield of Martin Peters, Tony Currie and Colin Bell. What would they be worth in today's market !
Imagine them at World Cup 74 managed by Joe Mercer. Go out and play lads.

Lucky enough to see the great man play many times, met him in person at the Cheadle Training ground when I used to go with some mates at half term holidays. He was very quiet compared to some of the others but always very kind when it came to complying with our interminable autograph requests, I have his to this day, "Best Wishes Colin Bell" it says.
Met him at the 1999 Gillingham match when thanks to a pal we ended up in hospitality. Chatted to Colin and his wife for some time, he hadn't changed from my childhood memories, unassuming and a real City fan. His wife was lovely and Colin talked proudly about his family and their educational attainments.
I asked him about his injured knee and his told me he was a regular squash player and that he only suffered from real stiffness in the joint but not much pain which was good to hear. I have a great photo of Colin, Neil Young and the 4 of us taken on the day.
My dad, who passed away a few years ago aged 90, always said Colin was the greatest player he had ever seen at City and said that what he loved about Colin was even when they tried to hoof him out of games he used to come back even stronger, scoring great goals even if he was limping.
Just phoned my mum, who is 91 at the weekend, to tell her the bad news, she used to go to games with my dad, me and my brother. She just came straight out with "The King" as his nickname and what sad news, "he's only a few years older than you," mothers eh.
I'll never forget him or the joy watching him play brought to me. Along with the other members of that great team he made our pride in City something fantastic.
RIP The King
Great post mate, brought me to tears again

Heard this very sad news about 7:30 this evening and had a tear in my eye ever since. He was my idol growing up - had everything - grace, unbelievable stamina, heading ability, range of passing, vision and scored more than his fair share of goals.
Our household is a very sad place this evening.
RIP King Colin

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.