Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

RIP Colin the King.

Devastating loss for his family and terribly sad that he won’t get the memorial service he deserves at this awful time.

Hopefully when the normality comes around again we can give him a fitting tribute at the Etihad.

At least with the stand named after him City went some way to show how much he meant to the club and fans during his lifetime. Too often our idols are only honoured after they’re gone.

By all accounts he was a very humble and modest man so I hope he knew how adored he truly was.

No worries mate. I was sent a link to a story in the MEN. I meant no disrespect to the King. Im a Langley lad who moved to NYC in 1981 when I was 7. English Football was pretty much no-existent in the states so I admittedly lost interest for quite some time. I pretty much missed a good chunk of City history
Great city, my favourite other than Manchester and I wish I could of Compartmentalised a great deal of it (:

As a young teen in the 1960s, I watched every home game from the Kippax Street (apart from a spell when I figured out a blag where I could sit on a bench on the touchline next to the City dugout because selling On The Ball tickets gave me access to anywhere in the ground!) When The Beatles released “Yellow Submarine” the song was quickly adopted and adapted by the Kippax. What started out as “Number 1 is Harry Dowd, Number 2 is Tony Book” and on through the team until we got to the chorus of “We All Live in a Sky Blue Stadium” very quickly morphed into “Number 1 is Colin Bell, Number 2 is Colin Bell” and on through the team, with Colin in all 11 position until we got to the chorus of “We All Live in Colin Bell’s House.” And we really did. One of the greatest players ever to pull on a City shirt. Condolences to the family and RIP Colin The King.

Attachments

• ColinBell.jpg
    ColinBell.jpg
    1,004 KB · Views: 17
Unfortunately Colin Bell's playing days were before my time, but I've always been struck by the acclaim he received from City fans and neutrals who were lucky enough to see him play.

I'm sure there are many blues, including my Dad who are very sad tonight. I've always enjoyed my Dad's stories about the Bell, Lee and Summerbee era, including him and my Grandad being part of the pitch invasion at Newcastle when we won the league.

We were lucky to meet Colin a couple of times and he was a gent, but I always enjoyed seeing what it meant to my Dad to meet his hero.

RIP Colin the King.

i saw him make his debut. I was there when that twat Buchan crippled him and when he came back against Newcastle. The thing about Colin (other than other City greats] i'm convinced he would easily get in the current City side. Pep would love his work rate and intelligence, and decency off the pitch.....I would add that i think overall he was a better finisher than KDB. I only spoke to him once when i went to Bell-Waldron Restaurant and i made some gibberish comment about my admiration. he just said ''thanks mate, but just lucky and a bit of hard work thats all'' Don't imagine many of todays players would display such genuine humility.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.