Comedy series you don't find funny

I'm actually flabbergasted that anyone cannot find Alan Partridge funny.

Literally stunned.

What next porridge, only fools,flowery twats

Bo Selecta. Everybody I knew raved about it but I'd watch episode after episode and not laugh once. Why is Craig David with a kestrel and a northern accent funny? I just don't get it.
Impressionists who are good at impressions can be funny (Brydon, Coogan). Impressionists who are bad at them (the type who have to dress as them and say their name just so you get it, such as Alistair McGowan) are not. But impressions which by design bear very little resemblance to the person are, I think, funny. Leigh Francis couldn’t do good impressions, so instead he did caricatures and made a joke out of how far off his impressions were.

Cheers was the best ever for me, comedy genius
I raise you Frasier (both of the same ilk, naturally).

Literally stunned.
My girlfriend is Filipino-Canadian and I showed her Partridge once. She just sat there stone-faced and couldn’t understand why I found it funny (and she has a good sense of humour). I think it’s down to ethnocentrism and culture, essentially: you (presumably) and I were raised here in the UK where we had those cheesy prime-time entertainers who wanted to be everywhere, do everything and were complete narcissists; the D-listers who thought that they were A-listers. If you weren’t raised on a diet of Bill Oddie, Noel Edmunds, Dale Winton, John Motson, etc. then you just won’t ‘get’ Partridge - and I think that certainly applies to lot of British Millenials as much as it does to foreigners here.

Literally stunned.

What next porridge, only fools,flowery twats

Patridge is genius, from early brass eye (of tge day today cannever remember which) to his own shows.

But still think Paul Calf is Coogans best charactor

I know this could be like blasphemy but worse but I thought The Young Ones tried too hard and it was painfully cack.

Anything with a laugh track - If it's funny surely I don't need a prompt
Anything Simpsons after season 10 - Shame given the quality of earlier seasons
Miranda - You're a tall ugly woman, is that the joke?
Victoria Wood - So outdated
Dad's Army - Hmm
I'm Alan Partridge - If you're going to be an awkward prick they might as well have gone full Todd Margaret with it
Any British comedy that's pun heavy (ie every old one)
The Thick of It - Strange because I loved Veep
Little Britain is awful
Two and a Half Men/Big Bang Theory post season 1 - ie after they made it about the money
Most sitcoms in general are pretty crappy to be honest..

I actually like Mrs Brown's Boys - Awful cheap toilet humour with no integrity but it never hides the fact and makes me laugh. I was dragged to a live show once and it's much better mind, there's a charm to be had with how awful they all are at acting.

Shoutout to Arrested Development, Seinfeld, Green Wing, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Only Fools and Horses (despite the canned laughter), Community and The IT Crowd for actually being well written AND funny. Love a bit of late night Impractical Jokers too if I've had a few.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.