Community Shield - Arsenal (N) | Sun 6th Aug - 16:00

Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ''boosting their figures'' bit is a bit of a nonsense. The figures are all based on a survey of x amount of people watching TV at one given time - and then assumed that they are a certain percentage of the country and a figure is reached. It's how the rags claim there are 679 million fans in the world....... send out a questionaire to known contacts within the club, and hey presto, add that percentage to the population of the world and there's your 679 million rags.
If 300 people cram into Band On The Wall, ITV do not know if there are two people in there or 300

Really? so what you are saying is that a random company will cold call you to ask what you are watching on TV?

Has anyone else had a call like that?

Certainly had cold "lifestyle" calls but never anything that was asking what I was watching right now on TV,

Really? so what you are saying is that a random company will cold call you to ask what you are watching on TV?

Certainly had cold "lifestyle" calls but never anything that was asking what I was watching right now on TV,
TV ratings are calculated using a technique called **statistical sampling**. Nielsen creates a "sample audience" and then counts how many in that audience view each program. Nielsen then extrapolates from the sample and estimates the number of viewers in the entire population watching the show. The estimate size of the television audience relative to the total universe is expressed as a percentage¹.

Nielsen recruits people to join its TV ratings panels and measures what they watch, how often they watch it, and how long they watch it. Nielsen then extrapolates the data that it collects from these sample audiences to draw conclusions about larger populations¹.

The Nielsen ratings are calculated based on a sample of 40,000 homes and about 100,000 people that’s demographically representative of the population as a whole³.

TV ratings are calculated using a technique called **statistical sampling**. Nielsen creates a "sample audience" and then counts how many in that audience view each program. Nielsen then extrapolates from the sample and estimates the number of viewers in the entire population watching the show. The estimate size of the television audience relative to the total universe is expressed as a percentage¹.

If they called me, the highest viewing figures would be for something called Fuck Off. Not sure which channel that would be on.

Perhaps protesting at the actual game with banners and placards etc may have the desired effect, it certainly did when it was done at Highbury against the £62 tickets.
Its a lot easier to get pissed in a Manchester bar though where the biggest inconvenience is Manchester beer prices.

Follow you everywhere song sounds very hollow now.

The ''boosting their figures'' bit is a bit of a nonsense. The figures are all based on a survey of x amount of people watching TV at one given time - and then assumed that they are a certain percentage of the country and a figure is reached. It's how the rags claim there are 679 million fans in the world....... send out a questionaire to known contacts within the club, and hey presto, add that percentage to the population of the world and there's your 679 million rags.
If 300 people cram into Band On The Wall, ITV do not know if there are two people in there or 300

It isn't a 'nonsense', the same analytical methods are used for many things, exit polls for example. They can not pinpoint individuals behaviour, but they are reasonably accurate at providing information regarding the populations habits. (It's BARB in the UK, not Nielsen, as you quote later.)
As well as the BARB panel, they use a method called 'Dovetail Fusion' and factor in delivery of programmes via device data. BARB factor this data into their ratings calculations. So, public screenings will be accounted for. Digital delivery enables data gathering on the number of times a programme is accessed, but doesn't provide the drill down of the demographics of an audience, but they have access to Licence data, etc. and know what type of establishment is recieving a programme.

Does it matter if ITV know or not? Shouldn't this be about being prepared to sacrifice something you want or need to send a message? A gathering/demo at the time of the match, but without a screening, would be a genuine boycott and send a message to the FA and TV companies: Fans are prepared to withdraw their support and avoid your products because of how you treat us.

BLACK FLAGS !!
If the protest is actually about kick off time and not can’t be arsed going,perhaps it might be a bigger statement if you all went and left at half time,as that would be full time for a 3pm kick off.I’m going anyhow,so not really bothered what anyone else is doing,and this original post reminded me why I stopped coming on Bluemoon

If the protest is actually about kick off time and not can’t be arsed going,perhaps it might be a bigger statement if you all went and left at half time,as that would be full time for a 3pm kick off.I’m going anyhow,so not really bothered what anyone else is doing,and this original post reminded me why I stopped coming on Bluemoon
Shame you dont run 1894 as thats a great idea.

The way they used to do it was select households and fit a gadget to the TV. This transmitted which of the 4 channels the household were watching. Basically they made the figures up.
I don't know what thay do now but I'm sure it still involves guesswork especially with ipads laptops etc.

When did you stop coming on Bluemoon ?

Just askin'

Last edited:
Its a lot easier to get pissed in a Manchester bar though where the biggest inconvenience is Manchester beer prices.

Follow you everywhere song sounds very hollow now.
Well said. It's a free country so anyone who doesn't want to go the Wembley that's fine. But for a team that has just won the treble, the best team of all time, there is too much negativity and virtue-signalling going on for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.