Comparative points v last season

Ragnarok said:
I am really really afraid of Chelsea this season. We will have to defeat them home and away to stand a chance of winning the title. United and Arsenal will at the wayside near the end of the season. It will be only us and Chelsea challenging.
nonsense most seasons you can lose five or six games and still win it the rags had seasons where they lost or drew every game against the old top 4! Plus Chelsea have had a good start but I doubt they will go the whole season with no major blips

Seems to me that our best performance of this season has been with last years team. I wonder if Mancini recognised that the problem he need ed to sort out was that his new signings were not good enough.
i think if he couldnt get his 1st choice targets, he should have stuck with NDJ and AJ and waited till January to try again.

reedy said:
Seems to me that our best performance of this season has been with last years team. I wonder if Mancini recognised that the problem he need ed to sort out was that his new signings were not good enough.
i think if he couldnt get his 1st choice targets, he should have stuck with NDJ and AJ and waited till January to try again.
Apart from NDJ and AJ both wanted to leave in the summer for first team football and January is notorious for the 40% mid season tax on players and that NDJ and AJ were both bit part players so there impact on the team was fairly low. And that Barry and Richards were both injured at start of the season and we lost Aguero and Silva was not at the races for his first few games

Ducado said:
Ragnarok said:
I am really really afraid of Chelsea this season. We will have to defeat them home and away to stand a chance of winning the title. United and Arsenal will at the wayside near the end of the season. It will be only us and Chelsea challenging.
nonsense most seasons you can lose five or six games and still win it the rags had seasons where they lost or drew every game against the old top 4! Plus Chelsea have had a good start but I doubt they will go the whole season with no major blips

In my opinion Chelsea will have no major blips. The quality of their first 11 is the best in the league imo, atleast in midfield.

Ragnarok said:
Ducado said:
Ragnarok said:

In my opinion Chelsea will have no major blips. The quality of their first 11 is the best in the league imo, atleast in midfield.

Hmmmmmmmmm

I think it only fair to point out that most of the assumptions about this year's title battle appear to be very questionable: City "only" won it in the fifth minute of stoppage time, City won't get any better this season, United will be breathing fire and will storm away to win it "back", Arsenal will be real contenders this year and Chelsea are the favourites. City actually won it last season for the same reason as any other team wins it any season - we did better in our 38 games than any other team. I suspect 89 points will win it again, but we are two points better than last season so far: United are one point worse on the same games. Chelsea have made a net gain of 8 points so far - but they need to make up 25 points to rival City's total for last season, and that is a tall order. Their midfield looks to me to be excellent going forward but may like the size and weight to defend against powerful sides. We saw what atletico did to them in the supercup - so Chelsea DO have weaknesses in midfield and they don't have a replacement for Torres.

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
I think it only fair to point out that most of the assumptions about this year's title battle appear to be very questionable: City "only" won it in the fifth minute of stoppage time, City won't get any better this season, United will be breathing fire and will storm away to win it "back", Arsenal will be real contenders this year and Chelsea are the favourites. City actually won it last season for the same reason as any other team wins it any season - we did better in our 38 games than any other team. I suspect 89 points will win it again, but we are two points better than last season so far: United are one point worse on the same games. Chelsea have made a net gain of 8 points so far - but they need to make up 25 points to rival City's total for last season, and that is a tall order. Their midfield looks to me to be excellent going forward but may like the size and weight to defend against powerful sides. We saw what atletico did to them in the supercup - so Chelsea DO have weaknesses in midfield and they don't have a replacement for Torres.

I said time & time again it was extremely naive for people to hang on to this "making up 25" points thing. You'd almost believe that Chelsea started with a 25 points reduction.
The way last season is linked to this season is by champions league qualification relegation & promotion.

The points that chelsea got last season has no bearings on the amount chelsea will get this season otherwise why did Chelsea finish with so few points last season?
Surely finishing with a good points total the year before that should have ring-fenced Chelsea's point tally for the next season?

It's all so silly. There's a different manager & new players and as I am sure you're aware with all the money City has spent & with the change from Mark Hughes... Recruitment can have a real positive effect. Just look at Newcastle who were in the Championship not long ago..

Also Sturridge from the wide position scored what Torres & Drogba scored combined.
If Torres gets injured Chelsea will be better with Sturridge up front, it's annoying that price discrimination keeps Torres in the team.

With all of that being said. It's not the 1st time we're competing for the league & you don't win it early in the season, Chelsea have a trend of having very bad mid-season form.
& when Lampard plays we're so much more vulnerable to counter-attacks.
As I said with Torres up top rather than Sturridge we won't be as good or clinical & so Torres has been fine against the smaller teams but in the bigger games his profligacy won't suffice. He hardly makes his own chances. I'm desperate for Sturridge to start, he's absolute class.

I'd expect Chelsea to pick up a lot of points as they badly under-performed last season so it probably wasn't fair to include them. But it does show they are picking up points regularly.

But overall I don't think it's a completely unfair way of comparing like-with-like for the top teams. You'd expect them to pick up a lot of points against the relegation candidates, do reasonably well against the mid-table teams and drop most points against the European-place contenders. There will be swings and roundabouts along the way but I think it's as decent a guide as any other to overall consistency.

Prestwich_Blue said:
I'd expect Chelsea to pick up a lot of points as they badly under-performed last season so it probably wasn't fair to include them. But it does show they are picking up points regularly.

But overall I don't think it's a completely unfair way of comparing like-with-like for the top teams. You'd expect them to pick up a lot of points against the relegation candidates, do reasonably well against the mid-table teams and drop most points against the European-place contenders. There will be swings and roundabouts along the way but I think it's as decent a guide as any other to overall consistency.

Question PB - if you do a mini league between the top 4, how often in the last few years has the winner of that league also won the title ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.