Computer/Internet Privacy Tips

Let's talk gaming.

Win10 games. How do I run them without win10 or am I being thick? Graphic cards. The drivers are usually optimised for win10 gaming. Do they do the same with Linux?
I love Linux but ever since I built my pc I honestly can't justify not having windows.
The amount of titles lacking just puts me off ever using it as my main OS in the meantime

If you are thinking about trying Linux then I would recommend Linux Mint. Many people say that this is the easiest version to use and I would agree. Before doing so I would strongly agree with the recommendation that you look at a number of YouTube videos. My YouTube guru of choice is a guy called Joe Collins. I can’t recommend him enough. One of his mantras is that you shouldn’t switch to Linux on your day to day computer. Leave your main computer running Windows but try Linux on a secondary computer. If you then decide that you can switch to Linux then do so but in the meantime you don’t lose anything.
Linux mint has many things wrong with it, Ubuntu with cinnamon as your desktop is the best way if you're coming from Windows

Yes, there's lots of free tools which will enable you to do this.

I use Veracrypt. If you put veracrypt on the memory stick as well, then you can open your encypted folder if you need to when your out and about and don't have your PC with you - on a computer in a hotel business centre or at an airport or whatever.

Not really good on computers but I did read that anything on the stick would be wiped off .....anything I can get that just adds a password without wiping whats on the stick already

Not really good on computers but I did read that anything on the stick would be wiped off .....anything I can get that just adds a password without wiping whats on the stick already

If you want to secure anything on the usb stick, the only way is to create an encrypted folder and copy the contents into it. You can't just add a password as you suggest.

And to be secure, you need to erase the USB stick as well, so the old files are not still there, hidden. If you're not too clued up on this, best to get someone to give you a hand because you could very easily do it wrong and have your data still accessible without realising it.

I love Linux but ever since I built my pc I honestly can't justify not having windows.
The amount of titles lacking just puts me off ever using it as my main OS in the meantime

Gaming lets the system down without a doubt mate but for the non gamers I believe Linux is a game changer. Like Damocles my preferred OS is Linux Mint although Ubuntu runs it close. Without knowing the stats it would be interesting how many PC users have the interest to learn enough to use Linux past the office applications etc, if you're a techie person it's good for you, if you just want a fast reliable machine to run office software and browse the net it's good for you but as you say gaming does appear to be a bit on the naff side.

Gaming lets the system down without a doubt mate but for the non gamers I believe Linux is a game changer. Like Damocles my preferred OS is Linux Mint although Ubuntu runs it close. Without knowing the stats it would be interesting how many PC users have the interest to learn enough to use Linux past the office applications etc, if you're a techie person it's good for you, if you just want a fast reliable machine to run office software and browse the net it's good for you but as you say gaming does appear to be a bit on the naff side.

The idea that Linux is difficult for a casual user has never really resonated with me.
I installed Linux onto my parents laptop and I very rarely get asked for tech support, if anything less than I would get if they were on Windows.
If I had a secondary non gaming system I'd definitely use Linux on that

Steam has introduced Proton

https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

This is designed to run Windows only programmes under Linux. Whilst at the moment only a handful of games are formally certified to run using this system there are, in fact, a whole raft of games which will work under Proton. I know this because I am running Football Manager 2019 this way with no problems at all when there is no Linux version of FM19 available. Proton won’t run all Windows games but if you have a Linux system and want to play games then there are probably more available than you might think.

Either way, use a VPN for torrenting, ISPs have been known to spy on what you download, and if it matches a copyrighted item - you get a warning email. Do it again and they can cut you off/prosecute.

Not in Canada mate. I have had tons of messages from my provider stating that they are required to tell me that they have been contacted by xxx
and that they will nev
Try this for pirate bay and many other blocked sites

https://unblocked.gdn/

Cheers mate. I've been using Browsec but I still get messages from my ISP. Not a big deal as they will never release my information to whoever has complained to them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.