Computer/Internet Privacy Tips

Use to have nord vpn now it won't even let me open the website any ideas what is blocking it? Checked only not much info about. I've just paid for a virtual desktop with a static IP for my betting.

No idea mate. Try asking @NordVPN on Twitter

Not a lot of info on them mate and its reported they struggle to allow a connection to US Netflix and other geo streaming sites.

Can i ask if you have tried to use them?

I haven't tried it to be honest, between the "AHEM" sites that I watch free stuff I don't have time for Netflix. The only thing to lose is £2 all I can vouch for is that there are a shed load of servers and all seem to be giving me speed and privacy.

I haven't tried it to be honest, between the "AHEM" sites that I watch free stuff I don't have time for Netflix. The only thing to lose is £2 all I can vouch for is that there are a shed load of servers and all seem to be giving me speed and privacy.

Cheers pal.

Yeah I'm in love with Brave.

Think it's the next big browser to be honest. It also has TOR built in, interestingly enough. You can create a New Private Window With TOR if you've not got the VPN on but want a quick check of Pirate Bay or another blocked site.
I’m not quite sure what you mean there.
If I open up a new private window with Tor, do you need the vpn bit?
Isn’t Tor already private?

I’m not quite sure what you mean there.
If I open up a new private window with Tor, do you need the vpn bit?
Isn’t Tor already private?

No, you can open a TOR Private Window from right in the browser without having to own a VPN or download TOR. It is built in functionality.

I wouldn't recommend TOR for anything but looking at torrent sites as the network is slow as hell so you won't be able to stream a match through it for example. But it is private, yeah.

I have been using the Brave browser on a new installation of windows 7 and it's pretty rapid, together with Last Pass and Proton Mail I feel somewhat liberated.

Browser

There's no reason that I can see why anybody would use Google Chrome. It's not the fastest on the market any more, it's full of privacy holes, Google again basically use it to do whatever they want with you and there are tons of better on the market. Internet Explorer is a joke that I won't dignify with an answer but if you're using it then stop using it and how does it feel to enter the 21st century? Firefox is okay if you can set it up properly but that takes a lot of work.

I use and recommend the Brave browser. Brave is based on the open source version of the Chrome engine that actually works a bit better than the Google version as it isn't loaded with so much crap. So this means your Chrome extensions will work in Brave. Also, Brave has great internet security built in - it automatically blocks trackers, ads and 3rd party cookies as well as other undesirables such as web based bitcoin miners yet has an extremely simple interface for turning them on and off for every site you use. It's also the fastest fully functional browser around. If you use it on mobile it actually saves you a ton of data too.

Finally, Brave has an interest "post advertising" view of the internet and how it might work whereby they will (in the future) allow you choose to view certain non-intrusive non-identifying advertisements and reward you with Bitcoins which you then can donate easily to the website creator. It's a good idea and a decent way of solving the problem of ad blocking. Or you can just give them money and they'll sort you out with some credits rather than viewing ads. Either way.

S

Thanks for sharing this. I installed Brave today, very impressed.

Right, I've done a bit of reading. I'm a consultant Infrastructure Analyst.

I'm assuming the government don't care any more about what you do on your PC. I mean, all I need to do is spoof my MAC address, connect to any open or public WiFi (in a location that doesn't have CCTV) and do what ever I want. I don't really care about what IP I come from or encrypting the traffic either. It's more important not to be traced to the location than anything else.

Phones are different, phones are now getting linked to us all as ID, a SIM card is now essentially our identity card. Not many no longer have a phone, I needed a passport to pick up a SIM the other day it's either photo ID in store or deliver to an address, it's harder to have an invisible phone than an invisible computer. If you buy a second hand phone, it's easily traceable, you could get one though but it'd be hard work. You've then got the problem of getting a SIM, getting it shipped to home and it's registered to you straight away. That's another pain in the arse, you've got to pay for it cash, else it's getting traced back to you straight away. Then, anyone you give your number to will trace you straight away and the government will be able to look down your camera and trace where you are in a very short time, I assume all calls are recorded by the 4 UK networks too.

GPS doesn't need a SIM, IMEI can make calls and doesn't need a SIM. Moral of the story, if you're going to be doing anything you shouldn't, including making calls, do it off your PC.

I watched Snowden last night at it's set me off. Hahaha. It's probably why phones no longer have removable batteries either, I reckon they all shut off at under empty but have a reserve which essentially will be an iLO/iDRAC.

Snowden didn't even achieve anything either, not even the government admitted or changed anything, just called him a thief and a spy and tried to extradite him.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.